Shredded Mexican Chicken
A super easy (Mexican-style) Instant Pot Shredded Chicken recipe is the perfect filling for burritos, enchiladas, tacos and more. Usually made with boneless chicken breast or boneless chicken thighs, it is an easy meal in minutes that the whole family loves.
I added Mexican seasoning to the instant pot chicken, but you can use almost any flavours or spices.
Related recipes: Keto Chicken Enchiladas / Easy Keto Nachos with Homemade Protein Chips
Why You Will Love This Recipe
Easy to make – 5-minute meal prep and the pressure cooker does all the work.
Budget-friendly – with the growing cost of living, we all love a budget meal.
Low carb and keto friendly – this shredded chicken instant pot recipe is gluten-free and low in carbs. It has no thickeners or sugar added.
* Chicken Breast – I use boneless skinless chicken breasts. For this recipe, you can use skinless chicken thighs, bone-in chicken or even a whole chicken cut into pieces.
* Taco Seasoning – I have included a link to our Taco Seasoning in the recipe card, but you can also use store-bought. If you have none of either and want to whip up a quick seasoning mix add a teaspoon of ground cumin, ground coriander, chipotle powder or chipotles in adobo, and some oregano.
* Enchilada Sauce – make your own (there is a link in the recipe card) or use tomato puree, or tinned tomatoes. Add an extra tablespoon of chipotles in adobo for a tasty Mexican shredded chicken recipe.
* Optional Extras – I like to add dried chipotle chili, Mexican oregano the pressure cooker too. Add bay leaves, chicken broth, and different spices to suit the dish you will use the shredded chicken in.
For more shredded chicken in instant pot details:
Scroll to the RECIPE CARD below for QUANTITIES OF EACH INGREDIENT
How to Make It
Step 1. Place the chicken breasts into the bottom of the Instant Pot (or similar). Add remaining ingredients. Set to Pressure Cook/High/12 minutes.
Step 2. 5 minute Natural Release then Instant Release.
Step 3. Shred chicken with two forks when finish cooking. You can do this in the broth or on a chopping board.
Step 4. Serve wrapped in a low carb tortilla or however you want. Pictured here with Protein Tortilla Chips in our Keto Chicken Nachos recipe.
What to Serve with Mexican Shredded Chicken
I love it as-is straight from the bowl with a squeeze of lemon juice and fresh herbs. This pulled chicken recipe is also perfect for low carb wraps or served with guacamole, Mexican Red Onions, cilantro chimichurri, or salmoriglio.
Yes, you can!
Freeze in portions in an airtight container.
Defrost in the fridge overnight
Reheat on the stovetop over medium heat or microwave in short bursts, stirring occasionally, until heated through.
Use the chicken for nachos, tacos, soup, sandwiches and a host more easy meals. It can be also be used as a filling in Chicken Lasagna.
You absolutely can. You can place boneless skinless chicken breast fillets straight into the Instant Pot frozen. It doesn’t matter if they are stuck together. Add the remaining ingredients and cook for the same amount of time. Check the internal temperature of the breast is 74°C / 165°F or higher before shredding. If the chicken needs extra time, then sauté in the pot until cooked.
To make slow cooker shredded chicken just pile all the ingredients into a slow cooker and cook on low for 4-6 hours.
More Low Carb Instant Pot Recipes
- Birria Tacos with Consommé
- Easy Baked Italian Meatballs
- Italian Keto Meatloaf Recipe
- Homemade Healthy Beef Stew
RAVING NEW FAN? Subscribe to our newsletter. Join our keto community on Facebook and Instagram or see all the new stuff on Pinterest.
Instant Pot Shredded Chicken
- 1 kg chicken breast skin off, left whole
- 2 tbsp Keto Taco Seasoning
- 1 cup Keto Enchilada Sauce click for recipe or see notes
- 1/2 cup chicken stock or broth
INSTANT POT® METHOD
- Place the chicken breasts into the bottom of the Instant Pot (or similar). Add remaining ingredients. Set to Pressure Cook/High/12 minutes.
- Natural Release for 5 minutes then Instant Release. Shred chicken with 2 forks. Serve wrapped in a low carb tortilla or however you want.
- Slice chicken breast into 3 long thick strips. Season with taco seasoning. Set aside.
- Add remaining ingredients to mixer; cook 12 min/100°C/stir.
- Add seasoned chicken breast; cook 10 min/100°C/reverse/slowest speed/MC OFF/basket on top. Check that chicken is cooked through and extend time if needed. This will of course depend on the size of chicken breast.
- Remove chicken and cover to keep warm. Reduce sauce; 10 min/120°C/speed 2/cap off. Add chicken back to sauce shred chicken 5 sec/reverse/speed 4.
- Preheat oven to 180℃ FAN/200°C STATIC/400°F.
- Season chicken and place into a casserole dish with remaining ingredients. Cover with lid. Bake 25-30 minutes or until chicken is cooked through. Shred with two forks.
Leave a Reply