A deliciously simple and versatile condiment. Salmoriglio is an Italian lemon olive oil sauce that is the perfect marinade for fish, meat or vegetables as well as a great salad dressing or serving sauce.
What is Salmoriglio
Salmoriglio sauce, pronounced (sahl-moh-REE-lyee-o), is a condiment sauce (or dressing) made with lemon, water, herbs and olive oil.
It is very simple to make and tastes so damn good. Use it to marinate your favourite protein and/or serve it over fresh barbecue or grilled meats.
It is similar to chimichurri but salmoriglio has no vinegar and is much better tasting with fresh oregano.
Related recipes: Coriander Chimichurri / Lemon Gremolata
Salmoriglio Sauce Ingredients
Scroll to the bottom of this post for the quantity of each ingredient used and how to make salmoriglio dressing from scratch.
Oregano – I use fresh oregano. You can substitute 1 tablespoon dried oregano in its place, but it does change the flavour.
Olive Oil – I use a good quality extra virgin olive oil. If you have no olive oil try Avocado Oil.
Parsley – use fresh flat leaf parsley. I use fresh as dried is just overpowering. You could add chopped spinach in its place in a pinch.
How To Make It
Step 1. Add garlic and salt flakes to a mortar and pestle, and grind into a paste.
Step 2. Add oregano and mash into a paste.
Step 3. Add the remaining ingredients and mix until combined. The sauce serves 4 people.
How to Use Salmoriglio
This salmoriglio sauce recipe is super versatile. As you can see from our salmoriglio chicken above.
Marinades – Use it to marinate Oven Baked Salmon, or serve it over grilled fish or lamb cutlets.
Sous Vide Meats – It works perfectly served with our sous vide wagyu or sous vide duck.
Salad Salad – try it with sides like air fryer Green Beans, Roasted Pumpkin Salad, or insanely delicious French Taboule Salad.
Stir Fry – toss into a stir fry like our Salmon Stir Fry or Duck Stir Fry. Yummo!
I would love to hear your uses for salmoriglio and how you choose to serve it! Let us know in the comments. Happy cooking x.
It is an Italian lemon olive oil dressing / marinade. It is super popular in Sicily and Calabria Italy.
Commonly used as a marinade or sauce for fish like Swordfish. It is perfect accompaniment for grilled or barbecued meat or vegetables.
Yes, you can. Best to use as a marinade or tossed into a stew after freezing. Make a fresh batch if using as a dressing.
RAVING NEW FAN? Subscribe to our newsletter for more low carb keto recipes. Join our keto community on Facebook, Instagram or keep up with all our sugar free recipes on Pinterest.
Salmoriglio Lemon Olive Oil Dressing
- Moljacete (mortar & pestle)
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 teaspoon salt flakes
- 10 g fresh oregano about (3 tbsp chopped), see notes
- 1/4 cup flat leaf parsley finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice and zest of half a lemon
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- MASH – Add garlic and salt flakes to a mortar and pestle, and grind into a paste.
- MIX – Add oregano and mash into a paste. Add the remaining ingredients and mix until combined.
- STORE – Keep in a jar in the fridge for up to 1 week.
- USE – A single batch is enough to marinate up to 1 kg of protein. Can also be served as a dressing or sauce for up to 4 meals or dressing for 3 cups of leafy greens.
- MIX _ Place all ingredients into mixer; chop 10 sec/speed 7. Scrape down sides of bowl and repeat until smooth.
Leave a Reply