Italian Keto Meatloaf Recipe
I wanted to make this Italian keto meatloaf recipe one that everyone in the family love. Keto or not this is a recipe that will be a great keto dinner you can put on rotation and everyone will be happy.
With very little fiddling around this dinner is not too time consuming.
Read on for some alternatives, FAQs, and more cooking methods.
Italian Keto Meatloaf Ingredients
I often get asked for “mince” or keto ground beef recipes to keep the keto budget down. Good thing for me is I am more of a fan of ground beef and ground pork fan than any cuts. I love how versatile it is and how much flavour can easily be added with spices.
Everything you need to make our very delicious Italian keto meatloaf recipe is available from the local supermarket. Check your pantry first to see what keto pantry staples you have first. The recipe uses many spices that are found in most households.
TIPS ON HOW TO MAKE AMAZING MEATLOAF
As I have already mentioned this keto meatloaf is not a huge time consumer. These are very simply the best tips I can give you so end up with a perfectly soft and succulent meatloaf.
Use fresh spices
If your spices have a used by date that is out of date get new ones! If you follow a lot of my recipes you know you will be using them again. Old spices add no flavour to any dish.
Use fatty ground beef and ground pork
Lean meat is not what we want. Not for the keto diet or for your keto-friendly meatloaf. While grass fed and organic are recommended if it doesn’t suit your budget then get what you can. You can also mince your own meat or ask your local butcher to mince some good fatty meats for you.
Don’t over mix
The more you mix and knead ground meat the firmer and tougher it will be. Simply mix all the meatloaf ingredients enough to just bring it together and shape into the loaf.
Faqs and Substitutions
Here is just a bit of QNA of what I might expect some of you to ask me about our low carb meatloaf recipe. I will add more to it if there is loads of questions.
Can this recipe be made ahead?
Yes it can. You can choose to make both the meatloaf (precooked) and sauce up to 2 days ahead and cook on the day.
How do I store meatloaf?
Once cooked the meatloaf can be stored in the fridge in an airtight container. Leftover meatloaf is great for lunchboxes or easy to reheat dinners. Store in the fridge for up 4 days or alternatively freeze in individual portions.
I want a nut free keto meatloaf.
Easy! Simply swap the almond meal for flaxseed meal or 1 tablespoon of coconut flour.
Is this a paleo-friendly meatloaf?
Simply omit the cheese for a delicious paleo meatloaf.
Can I cook it in a slow cooker?
Yes you can! Simply add all the marinara to the bottom of the slow cooker and carefully place the meatloaf in as well. cook on low for 5-6 hours until cooked through.
How to make keto meatloaf in the Instant Pot?
To cook this meatloaf in an Instant Pot I would recommend a 6 or 8L models only. Simply prepare the sauce on saute until heated through. Shape the meatloaf to fit your IP and place it onto the trivet. Carefully lower it into the sauce. Put the lid on and close the valve. Set the IP to Pressure Cook/25 minutes. Do a quick release. Carefully lift the loaf before resting and slicing.
I don’t eat pork or beef, can I substitute another meat?
Make the meatloaf to suit your tastes. If you want to make it all beef, or chicken etc it is completely up to you. Change the spices or add chilli for heat. Wrap it in bacon, or have a cheese centre. Recipes are meant to be made with love and passion.
Tools to make Italian Meatloaf
Here are just a few of my kitchen favourites that you can use to make our Italian Keto meatloaf recipe.
Cast Iron Pan
Glass storage containers – MY favourite way to store saucy dishes.
More keto ground beef recipes
Here are just a few more keto ground beef recipes that you might love. Many of these happen to be our most popular dinner recipes.
- Easy Beef Lasagna
- Keto Big Mac Salad
- Aussie Keto Chilli Beef
- Keto Chilli Con Carne
- Keto Mexican Beef Burger
Join the Mad Creations Tribe
Don’t forget to link up with Mad Creations on social media so you never miss a thing. We are super active and so is our community, so why not come join us!
Italian Meatloaf Recipe
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F).
- Heat the olive oil in a small saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic and cook, stirring, until softened, 5-7 minutes. Allow to cool.
- In a large bowl add all the meatloaf ingredients, including the cool onion/garlic, and season well. Using your hands mix until all ingredients are combined.
- Shape the loaf on a large baking tray roughly around 25 cm x 10 cm. Bake for 30 minutes.
- To make the Marinara sauce; heat the oil in a large cast iron skillet. Add the garlic and cook stirring until fragrant. Add the passata, Italian Seasoning, red wine, tomato paste and season to taste. Simmer for 7-10 minutes to reduce slightly.
- Gently slide the meatloaf into the marinara sauce. Baste the top of the meatloaf with some of the marinara and sprinkle with cheese. Add the cubes of butter to the sauce around the meatloaf. Cover with lid or foil and return to the oven for a further 20-30 minutes, remove the lid for the last 10 minutes to brown the cheese.
- Leave meatloaf to rest 10-15 minutes before slicing. Serve with fresh parsley.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F).
- Add the olive oil, onion, garlic to the meer; mix 3 sec/speed 7. Scrape down the sides of the bowl; cook 5 min/100°C/speed 1. Allow to cool for 5 minutes.
- Add the remaining meatloaf ingredients and season well. Mix 30 sec/reverse/speed 2. Mix further by hand if needed. Follow from Step 4 above.