Keto Lemon Curd | Easy Low Carb Recipe
Lemon curd has always been a favourite treat of mine, whether on its own or in a dessert.
Converting to a sugar-free keto lemon curd recipe was surprisingly easy! It is thick, smooth and lemony, and exactly what I wanted to achieve in a keto lemon recipe.
This low carb lemon curd recipe was originally published on February 18th, 2018. I have since updated with new step-by-step methods, images and recipe revisions.
Why You Will Love This Recipe
Low carb – This keto lemon curd has only 1g net carbs.
Quick and easy – With just four ingredients and a few simple steps, this will be ready in no time at all!
Basic keto pantry ingredients – The only “special” ingredient is keto compliant sweetener, and this would be one of your basic pantry ingredients.
Just like the real thing – Substituting the sugar in a normal recipe for a low carb sweetener does not compromise the taste and texture of the keto lemon curd.
Scroll to the bottom of this post for the amount of each ingredient needed to make my sugar-free keto lemon curd recipe.
Butter – I usually buy unsalted butter as I find it’s more versatile in recipes.
Lemon Juice and Zest – Zest your lemon carefully to avoid any of the pith from being included. The pith is the white part of the skin and has a bitterness that can spoil the flavour of your recipe. If you don’t have a zester, there are other ways that don’t include having to buy a new kitchen utensil.
Sweetener – While I usually say use your sweetener of choice, I really do prefer to use Sukrin Melis in this recipe. Xylitol or Allulose are the only two recommended sweeteners for this recipe. The reason being is that the others do recrystallise once refrigerated.
Egg Yolks – I prefer to buy fresh, free-range eggs whenever possible. These tend to have the best colour to the yolks and the best flavour too.
How to Make It
Step 1. Add the butter, lemon zest and juice and sweetener to a saucepan. Stir together while melting to dissolve the sweetener completely.
Step 2. Whisk in egg yolks and continue to stir over medium heat until the mix thickens and coats the back of a wooden spoon.
Lemon Curd Thermomix Tips – Making lemon curd in the Thermomix is incredibly easy.
The recipe card below will give full instructions. I always use the whisk attachment. Recently, I have just been adding all the ingredients and cooking for the 11 minutes/80°C/speed 3.
Lemon curd made in the Thermomix is definitely my preferred method of cooking.
Related Recipes To Try
Once you’ve made the keto lemon curd, here are some recipes you can use it in:
- Sugar Free Keto Pavlova – Top the pavlova with the lemon curd as well as double cream for a decadent but keto compliant dessert.
- Keto Lemon Cheesecake Matchsticks – The lemon curd adds a delicious twist to a much-loved treat!
- Keto Lemon Meringue Pie Easy – This dessert is always a show stopper, with its luscious topping of fluffy meringue over a delicious keto lemon curd tart.
- Lemon Curd Cake – This sugar-free and gluten-free keto lemon cake makes a tasty and healthy dessert. (Pictured below).
- Layered Lemon Delight Keto Cheesecake – a family-favourite sugar-free keto lemon cheesecake!
You will find just a few keto sweet recipes here on the Mad Creations Hub. I might have developed somewhat of a sweet tooth since changing to the keto lifestyle.
FAQs & Hot Tips
The reason for this recommendation is that other keto compliant sweeteners do recrystallise once refrigerated. If you are making the curd to use on the day, then use any sweetener of choice as long as it is a 1:1 ratio of sweetener to sugar.
The trick to smooth and creamy lemon curd is to make sure the sweetener is fully dissolved before whisking the egg yolks in. If you combine the ingredients in just one step, you may find that there is a slightly gritty texture to the curd, which is unpleasant.
The keto lemon curd can be stored for up to 1 week in the fridge in a clean, preferably sterilised, airtight container.
Yes, it can. Place it in an airtight container or ziplock bag. Defrost in the fridge.
Lemons are keto-friendly. With approximately 3g net carbs per lemon lemons can be enjoyed on the ketogenic diet.
Love Our Keto Recipes?
I hope you love this keto lemon curd as much as I do! If you do, then please rate the recipe ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ and leave us a review to help others know that this is a recipe worth trying.
Get all the new recipes as soon as they are published when you subscribe to our newsletter.
Zesty Sugar-Free Keto Lemon Curd
- 100 g butter
- ½ cup xylitol or allulose (see notes)
- 1 lemon zested
- ½ cup lemon juice
- 6 egg yolks
- Melt butter in a small saucepan over medium heat
- Add sweetener, lemon juice and zest and stir through until sweetener dissolves.
- Whisk in egg yolks and continue to stir over medium heat until the mix thickens and coats the back of a wooden spoon.
- Place butter in mixer bowl and melt 3 min/ 90℃/speed 1.
- Add sweetener, lemon juice and zest and mix 3 min/speed 3.
- Insert whisk attachment. Add egg yolks to mixture and cook 11 min/80℃/speed 3.