What happens when you are sharing one yoghurt recipe that you just published in a book is that you create a recipe for a homemade thick keto yogurt that is so good it has to be shared as well.
Seriously I am not joking when I say that this recipe is unbelievably awesome. If you are asking what yogurt is keto, well this one certainly is. Not only is it a low carb yogurt but it has no crap in it and you can make so easily.
HOMEMADE THICK KETO YOGURT INGREDIENTS
This is most certainly an easy recipe with only 3-5 ingredients (or more) depending on how you flavour it. I am certain you are all going to love this homemade keto yogurt. The ingredients are simple and it is also so easy to make.
Sour cream is lower in carbohydrates than Greek Yoghurt and gives the tanginess to our homemade keto yoghurt. It is cheap and usually resides in my fridge at least every week.
Thickened Cream or Heavy Cream
Another cheap and relatively low carb keto staple ingredient. High in healthy fats this help adds a creaminess to the yoghurt. You can easily adjust the ration of sour cream and cream in your homemade low carb yoghurt. Just add more sour cream if you like a real tang to your yoghurt.
Many of us already have a shelf stable prebiotic in our keto pantry. That ingredient would be Inulin.
Did you know that Inulin can be used to make yogurt?
Inulin has a host of claimed health benefits, like relieving constipation, improving heart health, control diabetes, weight loss and so many more. Here is a great article to help explain more of the benefits of Inulin. To make your own keto Greek yogurt you are going to need a prebiotic or probiotic. So if you don’t have some inulin in your pantry then pop out and get some, or use a probiotic (more information below).
HOW TO MAKE HOMEMADE THICK KETO YOGHURT IN A THERMOMIX
To be honest I just used the automated fermentation on the TM6 for my pot set sugar free yogurt recipe. This is the thickest Themomix yoghurt recipe I have seen that is for sure.
I mixed the sour cream and cream with 1 teaspoon of inulin. I used the very gorgeous glass jars (suited for yoghurt) from The Mix Shop.
Into half the jars I spooned some Natvia Sugar Free Jam and then I used a funnel and poured in the yoghurt mix. I fermented at 70℃ for 10 hours. The yoghurt is perfectly thick and creamy.
HOW TO MAKE KETO YOGURT AT HOME
Yeah yeah! I know most of you don’t have a Thermomix® but honestly anyone can make this.
So if you have a yoghurt incubator, a heat mat, a dehydrator, or I am sure most of you have an oven right?
Ferment the yoghurt for 10 hours in the oven with the oven light on to help keep the temperature. Do not open the oven door during this time. Extra time is fine. I have fermented mine up to 16 hours. Refrigerate for a couple of hours before using.
ADDING PROBIOTICS TO YOUR HOMEMADE THICK KETO YOGHURT
Adding probiotic can be a good health choice. With so many claims for intestinal health it is easily added to this recipe without affecting the taste whatsoever!
Herbs of Gold have a great probiotic capsule that is shelf stable (needing no refrigeration unless your daily temps are in the high 30s) and can be used to make keto yoghurt with loads of goodness.
Herbs of Gold Probiotic 55 Billion is a high-strength, broad spectrum combination of 11 different probiotics sourced from scientifically studied Danisco® strains to help maintain balanced intestinal flora and healthy digestive function. I get mine through my local health store Elite Health Supplements.
Probiotic 55 Billion Benefits Include:-
– Contains 11 room-stable probiotic strains that help to maintain a healthy composition of the intestinal flora.
– Helps to re-establish friendly intestinal flora and inhibit the growth of unwanted intestinal flora to help maintain balanced, healthy intestinal flora.
– Helps to balance the digestive system and supports healthy digestive function.
– Helps to relieve digestive complaints such as regurgitation, abdominal pain, nausea, gurgling, constipation, irregular bowels and flatulence in healthy individuals.
– Supports bowel regularity and bowel health, helping to relieve constipation and reduce the occurrence of constipation.
– Supports and maintains normal healthy immune system function and wellbeing.
IS THIS THE BEST KETOGENIC YOGURT?
Well I sure as shit think so at the moment. It’s funny as I am a huge Greek yogurt fan, but I kind of love the creaminess of this yogurt so much. I am already excited with some recipe possibilities with this recipe and I will be in the kitchen tomorrow trialling a crazy idea I have. If it works I can see a very popular Christmas keto recipe (and beyond) being launched later in the week.
If you want something simpler that is ready as a keto Greek yogurt substitute then try our very delicious 2 Ingredient Keto Yogurt.
HOW TO USE KETO POT SET YOGURT
Aside from eating this straight from the jar, this homemade thick keto yogurt can be added and used in loads of recipes and meals. Here are just a few ways to use it.
- Add to a smoothie with a handful of low carb berries or a sugar-free syrup.
- Add jam or berries (during fermentation) or stir through after refrigeration.
- Add to chia pudding.
- Mix through grated cucumber, crushed garlic and fresh dill to make a stunning tzatziki.
- Use in place of greek yoghurt in any recipe.
HUNGRY FOR MORE
Don’t forget to link up with Mad Creations on social media so you never miss a recipe and share in the community.
Instagram | Pinterest | Facebook | 365 |
Homemade Thick Keto Pot Set Yogurt
- 1 cup sour cream (250g)
- 1 1/2 cups thickened cream (375g)
- 1 teaspoon inulin
- 1 teaspoon Probiotic 55 Billlion optional
- Preheat oven to lowest temp preferable 70℃.
- Add sour cream and cream to a small saucepan. Bring to the boil and remove from heat.
- Whisk inulin through the warmed mixture and pour into pots and screw on the lid. Place into oven and turn the oven off.
- Ferment the yoghurt for 10 hours in the oven with the oven light on to help keep the temperature. Do not open the oven door during this time. Extra time is fine. I have fermented mine up to 16 hours. Refrigerate for a couple of hours before using.
- Fermentation can also be done on a heat pad, or in a yoghurt maker.
TM6 THERMOMIX METHOD
- Mix all ingredients together 15 sec/speed 4.
- Using a funnel pour into pots (if using a jam or berries add that first).
- Place lids on the pots and place into Varoma dish. Place 250g water and a squeeze of lemon juice into the mixing bowl and place lid and Varoma into position.
- Using the fermentation setting; ferment at 70℃ for 10 hours.
- Refrigerate before serving.
THERMOMIX TM5 METHOD
- Add all ingredients to the mixing bowl and use Automated Yoghurt setting for yoghurt.
- Alternatively for pot set in the TM5. Add 500g of water to mixing bowl and combined mixture to jars into Varoma.
- Set for 99 min/40℃/speed 1. You will need to keep resetting to extend cooking time for 10 hours.
Leave a Reply