Keto Mushroom Sauce Creamy and So Easy!
An awesome keto mushroom sauce is a handy recipe to have. This recipe is so simple yet so delicious!
For someone who used to hate mushrooms I am a huge fan now and I just love this sauce served with chicken or a steak. Read on for a few alternative ways to adapt the recipe and to serve with your favourite keto dinners.
Keto Mushroom Sauce Ingredients
Alrighty, this is an easy keto recipe you are going to love. Making a keto creamy mushroom sauce is not hard. It takes no fancy ingredients but I do have a couple of variations to suit your tastes.
I used very simple button mushrooms in this recipe. However, you can add some rehydrated forest mushroom mix, portobello, pine, or swiss brown mushrooms. Whatever mushrooms you prefer you can use. For more of a keto mushroom gravy large brown mushrooms will add a richer deeper flavour to the keto gravy.
Cream and butter – I have used a thickened (or heavy) cream for the mushroom sauce recipe. However, for a dairy free option you can swap the butter for avocado oil and the cream for stock or bone broth (or coconut cream) of preferred. This is perfect for a paleo or keto vegan mushroom sauce option too. The parmesan can also be swapped for nutritional yeast flakes for a “cheesy” flavour.
Fresh herbs – while I have used fresh parsley fresh thyme, tarragon or dill are perfect herbs that go with mushrooms too.
How to Make Low Carb Mushroom Sauce
Making a creamy keto mushroom sauce is super easy.
Firstly, I start off with a wide based frying pan over medium high heat. Add the butter and melt until foaming then add garlic and mushrooms. Stir to coat the mushrooms in the butter.
Continue to sautè until the mushrooms are lightly golden.
Add the remaining ingredients and cook stirring for a few minutes until the sauce has thickened. Remove from the heat and serve the sauce with your meal.
I have also included how to make keto mushroom sauce with your Thermomix as well, for all our thermie fans.
Alternative Ways to Serve It
The mushroom sauce can be served in endless ways but here are just a few of my favourites.
Served hot with toasted Low Carb Bread.
As pictured over a grilled steak and a side of your favourite low carb vegetables.
This creamy mushroom sauce is perfect with pan-fried chicken breast or even with pan-fried strips of beef, pork or sausages.
Want more Keto Sauce Recipes?
We all love a good keto sauce recipe, right? I love creating them as well. I kind of find it a necessity as it is hard to find keto-friendly sauces in the supermarket. Here are just a few of our favourites on the website.
- Peri Peri Sauce Sugar Free | Keto & Delicious
- Easy Keto Cheese Sauce
- Low Carb Cranberry Sauce Sugar Free Recipe
- Sugar Free Sweet and Sour Sauce
- Keto Big Mac Sauce
FAQs and Tips
Are mushrooms keto? Yes! At less than 2g carbs per 1 cup you can happily enjoy mushrooms on a keto diet.
What mushrooms are best in a creamy mushroom sauce? Even though this recipe uses the white button mushrooms any mushrooms of choice, or a combination can be used. Portobello, pine, oyster or brown mushrooms to name a few.
Can the sauce be frozen? I wouldn’t recommend it although it can be. If you do freeze it please reheat over a gentle heat careful not to split the cream.
How do you make a keto creamy mushroom sauce dairy free? You can use any dairy free cream base preferred. Coconut cream is a strong flavour but I would suggest a vegetable or chicken stock mixed with a little roasted cauliflower and pureed would be perfect!
Join us on Social Media
Join us on social media today and make some new friends.
Instagram is a great place if you want to see a regular stream of what I am up to in the kitchen, plus a few easy recipes that I put on there instead of the website.
Or use the link below to find out more about our Keto Club, The 365 and all the meal plans, and eBooks included!
Keto Mushroom Sauce
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 clove garlic
- 150 g mushrooms sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme or fresh
- 1/2 cup cream
- 1/4 cup parmesan
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Finely chopped fresh parsley to serve
- Melt butter over medium high heat in a wide based frying pan.
- Finely mince the garlic and add the foamy butter. Add the mushrooms and thyme; stir to coat the butter. Sautè until mushrooms are lightly golden but still soft.
- Add the cream and parmesan; season to taste. Cook stirring for 1-2 minutes until sauce has thickened. Remove from the heat and serve with finely chopped parsley.
- Place a small handful of parsley to the mixer bowl. Chop 10 sec/speed 10. Scrape and repeat if needed. Scrape into a small bowl and reserve.
- Add the garlic and butter to the mixer bowl (no need to clean) and chop 3 sec/speed 7. Scrape down sides of bowl; cook 4 min/100°C/speed 1.
- Add the sliced mushrooms and thyme to the butter; cook 5 min/110°C/reverse/stir. Add the cream, parmesan and season to taste; cook 3 min/110°C/reverse/stir. Remove from the mixer bowl and serve with reserved parsley.
- I use button mushrooms, but any mushrooms of choice can be used. In the thermal method I do not use the mixer to chop the mushroom as I prefer them sliced in the sauce.
- Cream can be replaced with coconut cream or stock/bone broth if preferred.
- Parmesan can be swapped for any cheese or for a cheese free sauce add 1 tablespoon of nutritional yeast for a cheesy flavour.
- Any herbs of choice can be used.
- The sauce can be made in bulk and stored in the fridge for up to 4 days or frozen as part of a meal or in individual serves.
- When reheating sauce be careful to do so over low heat to avoid splitting the cream.
- The nutritional values have been calculated using the recipe ingredients as listed for 2 serves.
- This sauce is 4g net carb per serve.
- The creamy keto mushroom sauce can be used as a sauce to be served with vegetables or protein. Alternatively, it can be used as a keto pasta sauce or over keto toast.
- Add some chopped bacon or chicken for a delicious meal.