An awesome keto, easy mushroom sauce is a handy recipe to have. This recipe is so simple yet so delicious!
For someone who used to hate mushrooms, I am a huge fan now and I just love this sauce served with chicken or a steak. It is just as good served with vegetarian keto recipes too!
Why You’ll Love this Recipe
Quick and easy – with only a handful of ingredients this easy mushroom sauce is ready in under 10 minutes.
Pantry and supermarket staples – no fancy ingredients needed.
Versatile – quick mushroom sauce for chicken, beef or pork. Serve it with pasta (keto pasta for a low carb recipe) or just as is.
Thermal cooker method included – Even though this is a very simple recipe for mushroom sauce, Thermomix instructions have also been included so you can make mushrooms sauce in your Thermomix.
Keto Mushroom Sauce Ingredients
Scroll to the recipe card for the full list of ingredients to make this easy keto mushroom cream sauce recipe.
Alrighty, this is an easy keto recipe you are going to love. Making a keto creamy mushroom sauce is not hard. It takes no fancy ingredients but I do have a couple of variations to suit your tastes.
I used very simple button mushrooms in this recipe. However, you can add some rehydrated forest mushroom mix, portobello, pine, or swiss brown mushrooms. Whatever mushrooms you prefer you can use.
Cream and butter – I have used a thickened (or heavy) cream for the mushroom sauce recipe. However, for a dairy-free option you can swap butter for avocado oil and cream for beef broth (or coconut cream) if preferred. This is perfect for a paleo or keto vegan mushroom sauce option too. Parmesan can also be swapped for nutritional yeast flakes for a “cheesy” flavour.
Fresh herbs – while I have used fresh parsley and fresh thyme, tarragon or dill are perfect herbs that go with mushrooms too.
Variations: Add Worcestershire sauce (when sauteeing mushrooms) and Dijon mustard for added umami. Omit the cream and use beef broth or chicken broth for an easy keto mushroom gravy. If you need to thicken the gravy (or sauce) add a 1/4 teaspoon of xanthan gum or glucomannan powder).
How To Make Low Carb Mushroom Sauce
Making a creamy & mushroom sauce is super easy.
Step 1: Preheat a wide-based frying pan over medium heat. Add the butter and melt until foaming then add garlic and mushrooms. Stir to coat the mushrooms in the butter.
Step 2: Continue to sautè until the mushrooms are lightly golden.
Step 3: Add the remaining ingredients and cook stirring for a few minutes until the sauce has thickened. Serve mushroom & cream sauce with your favourite vegetables or some toasted low carb bread.
Alternative Ways to Serve
Serve this low carb creamy mushroom sauce over a grilled steak, smothered pork chops and a side of your favourite low carb vegetables.
It is also perfect with grilled chicken breast or even Lemon Pepper Wings. You can add Pesto Rosso and cook this sauce with chicken breast like our Marry Me Chicken.
Want more Keto Sauce Recipes?
For more low carb recipes:
- Peri Peri Sauce
- Easy Keto Cheese Sauce
- Low Carb Cranberry Sauce
- Sugar Free Sweet and Sour Sauce
- Keto Big Mac Sauce
FAQs and Tips
Are mushrooms keto? Yes! At less than 2g carbs per cup, you can happily enjoy mushrooms on a keto diet.
What mushrooms are best in a creamy mushroom sauce? Even though this recipe uses white button mushrooms any mushrooms of choice, or a combination can be used. Portobello, pine, oyster or brown mushrooms to name a few.
Can the sauce be frozen? I wouldn’t recommend it although it can be. If you do freeze it please reheat over a gentle heat careful not to split the cream.
Can I make this sauce into a keto mushroom gravy? Yes, you can. By using large brown mushrooms, which will add a richer deeper flavour, you can make this recipe into more of a keto mushroom gravy.
RAVING NEW FAN? Subscribe to our newsletter to receive healthy low-carb recipes in our Recipe Mail. Or join our keto community via Facebook, Instagram or see great Australian keto recipes, plus easy healthy recipes on Pinterest.
Creamy Keto Mushroom Sauce
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 clove garlic
- 150 g mushrooms sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme or fresh
- 1/2 cup cream
- 1/4 cup parmesan
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Finely chopped fresh parsley to serve
- Melt butter over medium high heat in a wide based frying pan.1 tablespoon butter
- Finely mince garlic and add to foaming hot butter. Add mushrooms and thyme; stir to coat. Sautè until mushrooms are lightly golden but still soft.1 clove garlic, 150 g mushrooms, 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- Add cream and parmesan; season to taste. Cook stirring for 1-2 minutes until sauce has thickened. Remove from heat and serve with finely chopped parsley.1/2 cup cream, 1/4 cup parmesan, Salt and pepper, Finely chopped fresh parsley
- Place a small handful of parsley to mixer; chop 10 sec/speed 10. Scrape and repeat if needed. Scrape into a small bowl and reserve.Finely chopped fresh parsley
- Add garlic and butter to mixer; chop 3 sec/speed 7. Scrape down sides of bowl; cook 4 min/100°C/speed 1.1 tablespoon butter, 1 clove garlic
- Add sliced mushrooms and thyme to butter; cook 5 min/110°C/reverse/stir/MC off. Add cream, parmesan and season to taste; cook 3 min/110°C/reverse/stir/MC off. Serve with reserved parsley.150 g mushrooms, 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme, 1/2 cup cream, 1/4 cup parmesan
- I use button mushrooms, but any mushrooms of choice can be used. In the thermal method I do not use the mixer to chop the mushroom as I prefer them sliced in the sauce.
- Cream can be replaced with coconut cream or stock/bone broth if preferred.
- Parmesan can be swapped for any cheese or for a cheese free sauce add 1 tablespoon of nutritional yeast for a cheesy flavour.
- Any herbs of choice can be used.
- The sauce can be made in bulk and stored in the fridge for up to 4 days or frozen as part of a meal or in individual serves.
- When reheating sauce be careful to do so over low heat to avoid splitting the cream.
- The nutritional values have been calculated using the recipe ingredients as listed for 2 serves.
- This sauce is 4g net carb per serve.
- The creamy keto mushroom sauce can be used as a sauce to be served with vegetables or protein. Alternatively, it can be used as a keto pasta sauce or over keto toast.
- Add some chopped bacon or chicken for a delicious meal.
Leave a Reply