Peri Peri Sauce Sugar Free | Keto & Delicious
I wanted to create an amazing peri peri sauce. While I have done some in the past, I wanted something quick and easy with a nice little twang. This recipe is the bomb! And no cooking required!
Yes, it is a low carb peri peri sauce and no sugar has been added. If you love places like Nandos Chicken then you are probably going to love this recipe.
Let’s see just how it is to make your own copycat Nandos peri peri sauce at home. It only takes a few minutes!
Peri Peri Sauce Ingredients
Most of the ingredients in this recipe are possibly in your pantry right now.
Here is what I use and a few possible substitutions.
- avocado oil. I use Grove Avocado Oil in the peri peri. It is a great tasting and healthy “keto approved” oil that is available in the supermarket. You can substitute extra virgin olive oil if preferred.
- Chilli flakes and fresh chillies. I use a bit of both. You can choose your level of spiciness and the heat of the chillies used. If a spicy peri peri sauce is not your idea of delicious, I would just omit the fresh chilli. The chilli flakes I find are not spicy at all used on their own in this sauce.
- Fire roasted capsicum. You can buy this canned/in a jar at the supermarket or roast your own. Roasting peppers is very easy over a gas flame, grill or baked. Once the skin is blacked place into a small bag to sweat the skin. This makes it much easier to peel. Discard the skin and seeds before using.
- Garlic and Chilli Garlic Sauce. I am a bit of a huge fan of the gourmet Garden garlic paste. It is in the supermarket and just makes my life easy. Add as much garlic as you want but it does add more carbs to the sauce. The Chilli Garlic Sauce I use is the Huy Fong brand that makes sriracha too. It is also a supermarket staple.
- Red wine vinegar. Honestly, you can use any red wine, white wine, sherry, or apple cider vinegar in this recipe.
- Lime. You can use lemon, orange or lime as preferred.
- Smoked paprika. I love this spice so much. It adds a nice flavor and smokiness to the sauce.
How to make your own peri peri sauce
Okay, get a notepad and pen! Haha!
Here is what you do. Place all the ingredients into a food processor or blender and mix it. Hehe! Yep just scrape and repeat if needed.
For those who want a Thermomix peri peri sauce recipe it is so much harder. lol. Nah, not really. All the ingredients go in and you mix until you have a nice sauce. If you are after more low carb and Keto Thermomix recipes then we have hundreds for you right here.
I have added no sweeteners and kept the recipe ingredient short to keep it a low carb keto peri peri sauce.
What to Serve with Peri Peri Sauce
The peri peri is both great for a marinade and for a sauce. To make your own copycat Nandos Peri Peri Chicken simply add a couple of tablespoons of the marinade (with no cream) to a large bowl and add 2 thigh fillets per person to the bowl. Cover and leave to marinate for 30 minutes or even overnight. Grill or barbecue the chicken. With the remaining sauce add a little sour cream, or yoghurt to make a creamy serving sauce. (For a keto vegan peri peri use coconut cream or coconut yoghurt.)
The marinade is just as delicious with prawns, tofu, cauliflower, and even as a keto pizza sauce.
The sauce itself can be served as a dipping sauce for any protein or vegetable. It can also have a cup of cheese added and heated over low heat to make a spicy queso sauce to serve with your favourite keto bread or Keto Tacos.
More Great Keto Sauce Recipes
If you need some inspiration on basic keto sauce recipes here are just a few of my favourites.
- Easy Keto Cheese Sauce
- Low Carb Cranberry Sauce Sugar Free Recipe
- Keto Marinara Pizza Sauce
- Hot Chocolate Fudge Sauce
- Keto Big Mac Sauce
Join in on our fun!
Don’t forget to link up with Mad Creations on social media so you never miss a recipe. We have a great community on Facebook where everyone loves to share their capers in the kitchen.
Peri Peri Sauce
- 60 g avocado oil
- 2 teaspoon chilli flakes
- 1-2 cloves garlic finely minced
- 1/2 cup roasted red capsicum
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1-2 red Thai chilli finely chopped, optional, for a milder sauce remove the membrane and seeds
- 1 tablespoon chilli & garlic sauce I use Huy Fong brand found in most supermarkets
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- Zest and juice of 1 lime
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup sour cream or coconut cream/yoghurt, for a creamy peri peri dressing
- Place all ingredients into a high-speed blender and mix until well pureed. (Omit the cream if making a marinade and add cream to any remaining sauce to serve).
- Place all ingredients into the mixer bowl and mix 1 min/speed 9. Scrape down sides of bowl and repeat if needed. (Omit the cream if making a marinade and add cream to any remaining sauce to serve).
- I use Grove avocado oil in this recipe. Olive oil is also a good healthy choice.
- Fire roasted red capsicum can be purchased jarred/canned at the supermarket. Alternatively, roast over a gas flame, grill or in the oven until the skin is blackened and charred. Sweat the capsicum in a bag then peel and discard skin and the seeds.
- Any of your favourite chillies can be used. Increase up to 4 chillies if preferred or add higher Scoville chillies for a more intense chilli flavour. If you do not like spicy food, then you can also omit them altogether.
- The sour cream, coconut cream or yoghurt is best added if using the sauce as a dressing or dipping sauce. If you are going to marinate something then remove the quantity of marinade you will require and add a small amount of cream, if preferred for a creamy sauce to serve.
- This keto peri peri sauce can be used for a marinade for any protein or vegetables. Add the cream for a tasty dressing or dipping sauce option.
- Store in an airtight jar in the fridge for up to 5 days.
- The peri peri sauce is suited to freezing.
- Freeze in a silicone ice cube tray then transfer to a ziplock bag.
- Can be added to a sauce from frozen.
- Nutrition has been calculated without the cream.
- Makes about half a cup.