Low Carb Bread Recipe | Keto bread
I have a new favourite low carb bread recipe and it is by far this one! It is so like the real thing it is just not funny!
Let’s start by addressing that this low carb bread recipe does contain gluten. So for those of you who cannot tolerate it or choose not to consume any gluten this keto recipe is totally out for you.
Since starting blogging keto I have had my share of people telling me what is or is not keto foods. Keto is actually based on the state of ketosis right? Eating a very low carb diet to maintain a ketones in the blood is “being keto”. This recipe still suits that lifestyle but this bread does contain grain.
The low carb bread only has 1g net carbs per slice, based on 20 slices per loaf, or 2g net carbs per roll, based on a 10 x 60g rolls from one batch of this recipe.
Originally inspired by Deidres Bread Maker Bread, Keto.luna, and She Calls Me Hobbit this is easily one of the best low carb bread recipes I have tried.
LOW CARB BREAD RECIPE – GET A GREAT RISE TIPS
- Activate the yeast. The yeast I use is just the dried stuff you can buy in every supermarket. Activate it in warm water with the inulin. Inulin (or sugar) helps to activate the yeast and help give great rise to this keto bread.
- Cover the bowl or jug you are activating it in with a cling film and silicone mat if you have one. If you don’t wrap it in a towel and place in the warmest place in the house until it thick and foamy (it should double in size). If the yeast does not activate throw it out and start again. It will not all of sudden rise if you place it in the bread. Yeast does have an expiry date.
- When adding all your ingredients never add the yeast near the salt. Salt kills yeast. If you add your salt after the eggs and flours then pour the yeast starter aver the top this is enough to separate the two and not kill your rise.
- After kneading for 5 minutes (this helps to activate the gluten) flatten out into a rectangle the same width as your tin. Roll the dough over into loaf shape. Place into bread tin, seam side down and cover and leave to prove in warm place in the house. Bread should rise above the tin edge before baking. Leave until it has risen. This can take longer in colder weather.
- Bake then cool on wire rack before slicing and serving.
LOW CARB BREAD RECIPE INGREDIENTS
There are some specialty ingredients in this recipe. I have sourced them all from iHerb as it was the most convenient and all in the one place. Click here to see my entire cart. Many of these ingredients have NO substitutes so please don’t ask what they can be changed with.
- Inulin is prebiotic insoluble fibre sourced from plants. It has sweet properties naturally occurring and can be used to feed and activate yeast as well as be used in baking and sweets. It has around 2.7g carbs per 5g and is around a third of the sweetness of sugar. Other sweeteners like xylitol and erythritol will not activate yeast. However if you do use sugar or honey the carbohydrates will be eaten by the yeast thus reducing carbs.
- Oat fibre is the hull of the oat ground into a fine powder. It is all fibre and hence, the no carb value. It has a nice fine powdery consistency that works well in this bread.
- Vital Wheat Gluten a natural protein found in wheat that is high in minerals and low in carbs. Vital wheat gluten has no substitutes and creates beautiful texture low carb breads.
- Golden flax meal a delicious tasting meal that adds earthiness to this recipe. Substitute more oat fibre or almond meal if you don’t have it, but it is recommended.
HOW TO MAKE THIS LOW CARB BREAD RECIPE
It is so simple.
- Activate yeast
- Mix and knead for approximately 5 minutes (if dough sticks to your hands add more Vital Gluten Flour)
- Rest and allow to rise (this depends on how cosy it is – leave longer if need be to get the right amount of rise)
- Eat like any normal bread.
Watch me make the Low Carb Bread
Want more Low Carb Bread Recipes?
Check out some of our best keto and low carb recipes right here!
- Low Carb Bread Recipe | Keto bread
- Low Carb Focaccia Bread (with olives)
- Keto Cauliflower Wraps – the best keto wrap
- Keto Banana Bread | Sugar free recipe
- Low Carb Bread Rolls only 2g net carbs
HUNGRY FOR MORE
Check out our huge range of keto cookbooks in store today. So many great cookbooks and digital keto cookbooks to choose from. https://madcreationshub.com/shop
CONNECT WITH MAD CREATIONS
Don’t forget to link up with Mad Creations on social media so you never miss a recipe.
Low Carb Bread
- 1 cup warm water
- 1 tablespoon inulin
- 7-10 g yeast (2-3 teaspoons)
- 2 eggs room temperature large eggs
- Pinch salt flakes
- 2/3 cup golden flaxmeal or pepita meal (if you do not like the flaxseed taste)
- 1/2 cup oat fiber click for supplier see blog post for substitutes
- 1 1/4 cup gluten flour click for supplier
- 70 g butter (5 tablespoons) cubed
- 1/4 teaspoon xanthan gum (Optional) the loaf will work fine without
- Mix inulin and yeast into water and cover with cling film and a silicone mat and leave in a warm place until yeast activates. This can take 20-40 minutes.
- Add all ingredients to mixer, including activated yeast. Using dough hook attachment knead dough for 5 minutes.
- Stretch dough out to large rectangle roughly as wide as your loaf tin. Roll dough over lengthwise to form a roll. Place into loaf tin seam side down.
- Cover loaf with clean towel or silicone mat and leave in warm place for approximately 1 hour until loaf has risen.
- Preheat oven to 170℃. Grease a 22cm x 11cm loaf tin.
- Bake 40-45 minutes. Cool on wire rack.
- Mix all ingredients to mixer, including activated yeast 5 minutes/dough setting. Follow from step 2 above.