Curried Sausages Recipe
Why You’ll Love This recipe
Easy to make – minimal food prep is needed for this creamy curried sausages recipe.
Budget friendly – with the growing cost of living we all love a budget meal.
Low carb and keto friendly – keto curried sausages are pretty simple to make. These curried sausages have no corn flour or wheat flour. The recipe is gluten free and grain free.
Great Comfort Food – just like mums curried sausages you enjoyed growing up, this recipe is nostalgic and a good kind of old-fashioned.
Versatile – while this is a creamy curried sausage recipe you can make it without cream too. Add more vegetables, or even substitute vegan sausages for a great vegetarian curried sausages.
What are Curried Sausages
To me, curried sausages is a very old-fashioned recipe. I remember my mum making it for the family when I was very little. I had no idea it was still popular nowadays.
Traditionally made with beef stock, onions and a smattering of frozen peas this easy dish was on the plates of many families in Australia through the 70’s and 80’s. Lovingly referred to as bangers and mash it is usually served with mashed potato. To keep this recipe low in carbs and keto-friendly I serve it with our (amazing) Cauliflower Mash.
Scroll to the bottom of this post for the quantity of each ingredient used in our sausage curry recipe.
Curry powder – I use my Malaysian Meat Curry Powder which is similar to Babas Meat Curry Powder. You can use any curry powder you prefer. Keens Curry is most commonly used however it does contain rice powder. You can also use a curry paste in this sausage curry.
Sausages – choose the sausages you love the most. Beef sausages, pork sausages, chicken or vegetarian sausages. The choice is yours. I choose low carb sausages or get my local butcher to make some up with my own spice mix and no additives.
Stock – you can use beef or chicken stock in this recipe. If needed you can use vegetable stock as well. I do find the stock adds more flavour than broth.
How To Make Them
For convenience I have included both a conventional method and how to make keto curried sausages with a Thermomix. Either way you do it the recipe is fantastic. The method included with the Thermomix doesn’t involve any extra steps but still results in a very creamy and delicious curry sauce.
Step 1. Sauté the onion, in the butter with curry powder, lemongrass paste, ginger and onion. Once the onion is soft remove from the pan.
Step 2. Fry the sausages until almost cooked through. By not frying until they are done this will keep the moist and succulent. They will continue to cook in the gravy once added back to the pan (or Thermomix). Sausages can be steamed in the Thermomix, if preferred.
Step 3. Add 1 cup of the stock and xanthan gum (or gelatin) to the pan and cook until thick. Add remaining stock, tomatoes and coconut cream. Return the onions and sausages to the pan and cook until thick. Serve with Creamy Cauliflower Mash fresh parsley or coriander leaves.
FAQs and Hot Tips
Absolutely! Spoon into individual portions and freeze in an airtight container for a freezer-friendly keto meal.
You sure can! I have included the method in the recipe card.
Yes you can. Brown the sausages and slice them first. Add all the ingredients to the slow cooker and cook on low for 4-6 hours or high 2-3 hours. Turn the heat up to thicken as needed.
To cook curried sausages in the Instant Pot just add all the ingredients to the pot and give a good stir Seal the lid and cook on Pressure/5 minutes/natural release. Stir to evenly distribute the xanthan gum and thin with extra stock or water, if needed.
I hope you love our keto curried sausages without cornflour recipe as much as I do! If you do, then please rate the recipe ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ and leave a review to help others know that this is a recipe worth trying.
Curried Sausages Recipe
- 1 tablespoon butter or olive oil
- 1 clove garlic finely minced
- 1 tsp ginger finely minced
- 1 tablespoon curry powder or Malaysian Meat Curry Powder (click for recipe)
- 1/2 small onion finely sliced
- 600 g low carb sausages
- 2 cups beef broth/stock click for recipe
- ½ teaspoon xanthan gum or 1 tbsp beef gelatin
- 1/4 cup crushed tomatoes
- 1/4 cup coconut cream or cream
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cauliflower Mash
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley finely chopped
- Heat butter in a large frying over medium heat. Add garlic, ginger, curry powder, and onion; sauté until onion is translucent. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- In the same pan cook sausages until golden and cooked through. Remove the sausages from the pan and slice into smaller pieces; add to the onion mixture.
- Add 1 cup of the bone broth and xanthan gum (or gelatin) and cook whisking until the gravy thickens.
- Add remaining bone broth, tomatoes, and coconut cream cook stirring until gravy thickens. Add sausages/onion mixture and cook a further 1-2 minutes until heated through. Season to taste. Serve sausages with cauliflower mash and garnish with fresh herbs.
- Add the butter to the mixer; melt 90 sec/100°C/stir. Add garlic, ginger, curry powder, and onion to mixer; chop 3 sec/speed 5. Scrape down the sides of the bowl; cook 5 min/100°C/stir/MC off. Leave in the bowl to cool for 5 minutes.
- Cook the sausages in a pan over medium-high heat until golden and cooked through. Remove the sausages from the pan and slice them into smaller pieces; set aside.
- Add 1 cup of bone broth and xanthan gum (or gelatin) into the mixer; cook 4 min/100°C/speed 3.
- Add the remaining broth, tomatoes, and coconut cream. Cook 2 min/100°C/speed 3. Add sausages to mixer and stir to cover. Cook for a further 4 min/100°C/reverse/stir. Season to taste. Serve sausages with cauliflower mash and garnish with fresh herbs.