Creamy Cauliflower Mash | Keto |Low Carb
My creamy cauliflower mash potatoes recipes are incredibly easy to make. Yes, it isn’t mashed potatoes it is so much better! 🤣 Honestly, though this mash is super creamy, and so well-seasoned that it can certainly fill that desire for light, buttery and smooth mash.
Creamy Cauliflower Mash Ingredients
With just seven ingredients this recipe is not a hard one to make at home. Cauliflower can at times get a bit expensive so buy up while it is cheap and freeze it. I always have a stash in the freezer to tide me over when the prices rises.
Here is all you need to make a creamy cauliflower mash.
How to Make Cauliflower Mash
While a lot of cauliflower mash recipes call for steaming or boiling the cauliflower, I make it a totally different way. If you have been wondering how to make cauliflower taste like mashed potatoes, then here are my secrets.
Firstly, sauté the riced cauliflower in butter, ghee, or olive oil, until softened. This imparts a nice buttery taste and texture to the cauliflower mash. When the cauliflower has softened place it in a blender with the remaining ingredients and puree until smooth and creamy. Adjust any seasonings as needed. You can also use a stick blender for this too.
By using the cream and cream cheese instead of milk the result is a perfect low carb keto cauliflower mash.
I have also included a recipe to make keto cauliflower mash with a Thermomix.
What to serve it with
Here are just a few of my favourite recipes that team perfectly with cauliflower mash.
- Keto Curried Sausages
- Instant Pot Mexican Shredded Beef
- Chicken Milanese
- Buttery Beef Casserole
- Lamb and Haloumi Meatballs
FAQs and Hot Tips
For a super creamy cauliflower mash make sure the cauliflower is softened. I prefer to use a Thermomix®, blender or food processor or stick blender to puree over actually mashing it. The result is far smoother and silkier.
Can I freeze cauliflower mash? Yes, you can. Simply place it into a ziplock bag and press flat and seal. Store flat on the shelf in the freezer. To defrost, place it in the fridge overnight to defrost gently. Reheat and use as needed.
Can I make creamy cauliflower mash dairy free? To make a dairy free cauliflower mash recipe omit cheese, cream cheese and cream. Cook the cauliflower in olive oil, and puree with 1/4 cup of vegetable broth, 1 tbsp of yeast flakes, and 1 teaspoon of Dijon mustard. This makes the most perfect creamy keto vegan cauliflower mash!
Join the MCT (Mad Creations Tribe)
Join us on our socials to get more support, information, recipes or just a laugh. We have a huge community of keto enthusiasts with loads of great tips, sales, and personal success stories to help motivate you.
Creamy Cauliflower Mash
- 460 g (21oz) cauliflower florets roughly chopped
- 3 tablespoons (60g) butter
- 4 tablespoons (60g) thickened cream or heavy cream
- ¾ cup (90g) cream cheese
- 1 teaspoon salt flakes
- ½ teaspoon white pepper
- ½ cup (50g) shredded cheddar
- Chop cauliflower in a food processor until finely riced. (Alternatively use a box grater and grate the cauliflower).
- Melt butter and sauté cauliflower over medium-low heat for 8 minutes or until softened.
- Return cauliflower to the food processor, add cream, cream cheese, salt, and white pepper. Blend until smooth. Fold through grated cheese and season to taste.
- Chop cauliflower 4 sec/speed 5. Scrape down the sides of the bowl.
- Add butter and cook 11 min/110°C/speed 1.
- Add cream, cream cheese, salt flakes, and white pepper. Mix 40 sec/speed 7. Fold through grated cheese and season to taste.
- Butter can be substituted with ghee, olive oil or bacon drippings.
- Cream can be replaced with stock or broth.
- Store in the fridge for up to 1 week.
- Mash is suitable to freeze in an airtight container.