Keto Mashed Cauliflower
This Keto Mashed Cauliflower recipe is incredibly easy to make. It is so good the kids will think they are eating mashed potatoes! 🤣 Honestly, though this mash is super creamy, and so well-seasoned that it can certainly fill that desire for light, buttery and smooth mash.
With just 7 ingredients this recipe is not a hard one to make at home. Cauliflower can at times get a bit expensive so buy up while it is cheap and freeze it. I always have a stash in the freezer to tide me over when the prices rise.
Cauliflower – use a head of cauliflower or frozen cauliflower. It really doesn’t matter which you use to make cauliflower rice, in any of our cauliflower recipes.
Cream Cheese – cauliflower mash with cream cheese helps to make the mash super creamy.
Heavy cream / thickened cream – use any thickened style cream or even sour cream. You can also make low carb cauliflower mash with creme fraiche. Add more cream for a cauliflower puree. No milk is used to keep this keto / low carb. I wouldn’t recommend using any milk alternatives as the mashed cauliflower doesn’t have starch to hold it together like mashed potatoes.
Cheese – I use cheddar for extra flavour but this can be swapped for any cheese at all e.g. parmesan.
Extras – Add garlic, sour cream, chives, white pepper (my favourite), olive oil, and seasonings. Make cauliflower mash with truffles, sauteed onions, or even crispy bacon bits.
How to Make Cauliflower Mash
While a lot of mash recipes call for steaming or boiling cauliflower, I make it a totally different way. If you have been wondering how to make cauliflower taste like mashed potatoes? Here are my secrets to the perfect keto cauliflower mashed potatoes that everyone will love.
Step 1. Sauté the cauliflower rice in butter, ghee, or olive oil, until softened. This imparts a nice buttery taste and texture to the cauliflower mash.
Step 2. Puree in a blender or food processor with the remaining ingredients and puree until smooth and creamy. Adjust any seasonings as needed. You can also use a stick blender for this too.
Thermomix Cauliflower Mash
Making Thermomix cauliflower puree or mash is super simple. This recipe suits all models including TM31, TM5 and TM6. All Thermomix alternative appliances should be suited as well.
Step 1. Chop cauliflower 4 sec/speed 5. Scrape down the sides of the bowl.
Step 2. Add butter and cook 11 min/110°C/speed 1.
Step 3. Add cream, cream cheese, salt flakes, and white pepper. Mix 40 sec/speed 7. Fold through grated cheese and season to taste.
What to serve it Cauliflower Mash With
Here are just a few of my favourite recipes that team perfectly with cauliflower mash.
- Instant Pot Mexican Shredded Beef
- Pork Knuckle German Style (Schweinshaxe)
- Rougaille Sausages
- Easy Curried Sausages Recipe
- Homemade Healthy Beef Stew
FAQs and Hot Tips
For a super creamy cauliflower make sure the cauliflower has softened. I prefer to use a Thermomix, blender or food processor or stick blender to puree over actually mashing it. The result is far smoother and silkier.
Can I freeze it? Yes, you can. Simply place it into a ziplock bag and press flat and seal. Store flat on the shelf in the freezer. To defrost, place it in the fridge overnight to defrost gently. Reheat and use as needed.
Can I make dairy free cauliflower mash? Omit cheese, cream cheese and cream. Cook cauliflower in olive oil, and puree with 1/4 cup of vegetable broth, 1 tbsp of yeast flakes, and 1 teaspoon of Dijon mustard. This makes the most perfect creamy keto vegan cauliflower mash!
Keto Mashed Cauliflower
- 460 g (21oz) cauliflower florets roughly chopped
- 3 tablespoons (60g) butter
- 4 tablespoons (60g) thickened cream or heavy cream
- ¾ cup (90g) cream cheese
- 1 teaspoon salt flakes
- ½ teaspoon white pepper
- ½ cup (50g) shredded cheddar
- Chop cauliflower in a food processor until finely riced. (Alternatively use a box grater and grate the cauliflower).
- Melt butter and sauté cauliflower over medium-low heat for 8 minutes or until softened.
- Return cauliflower to the food processor, add cream, cream cheese, salt, and white pepper. Blend until smooth. Fold through grated cheese and season to taste.
HOW TO MAKE THERMOMIX MASHED CAULIFLOWER
- Chop cauliflower 4 sec/speed 5. Scrape down the sides of the bowl.
- Add butter and cook 11 min/110°C/speed 1.
- Add cream, cream cheese, salt flakes, and white pepper. Mix 40 sec/speed 7. Fold through grated cheese and season to taste.
- Butter can be substituted with ghee, olive oil or bacon drippings.
- Cream can be replaced with stock or broth.
- Store in the fridge for up to 1 week.
- Mash is suitable to freeze in an airtight container.
Your Own Notes
40 responses to “Keto Mashed Cauliflower”
Hands down the best cauli mash I’ve found! I cook for 1 so make bulk & freeze it in individual serve ziplock bags. Absolutely delicious! Thanks Megan
Sensational recipe! This recipe is by far the best cauliflower mash I’ve ever made! I made it in the thermomix and it worked a treat! This will be my go to recipe from now on, simply delicious ❤️
This would be perfect for healthy holidays!