Savoury Garlic Chives & Cheddar Keto Scones
When I set out to create a savoury keto scone recipe, I wanted to make sure I delivered a savoury scone that was delicious (of course) but a really great consistency.
I consider these little keto scone bad boys to be a recipe we could all enjoy keto or not. They are soooo good straight up or toasted is also a whole other level!
Let’s just say the testers had a great time testing these savoury keto scones. Straight up we had some testers creating variations and making bulk batches from the get-go. I will be doing the variations of these keto scones in the new Lunch Time Keto cookbook as well as the 4 Weeks Keto Meal Plan. I am always just tempted to share some of the great recipes with everyone freely so no one misses out. This is one of the recipes I know that a lot of you are going to just love.
SAVOURY KETO SCONES – made simply
Before you ask me whey protein isolate is pretty integral to making this recipe as perfect as it is. It gives lightness to this savoury scone and baked goods, as well the slightly crisp outer texture. If you choose to omit the scone will be more dense and heavy and not at all the same.
I am just making these as easy as possible to make whether you make with a Thermomix®, stand mixer or food processor. These are just a quick mix of all ingredients and push into a mould and bake.
It is totally up to you to add your own flavours and savoury combinations. I use fresh garlic chives from my garden that are very strong with garlic “essence” if you are using normal chives feel free to add a tsp of garlic powder or garlic granules.
Baking time is a little higher than normal flour scones, but don’t affect the taste or texture.
For dietary substitutions please check the recipe notes within the recipe card.
For our US followers yes these are just the same as what you refer to as a biscuit. These would go fabulous with any gravy, soup or meal.
WANT MORE RECIPE LIKE THIS?
Check out some of our personal favourites on site. (Click for direct link)
Love this recipe?
Want to keep up with all the Mad Creations shenanigans?
CONNECT WITH MAD CREATIONS
Don’t forget to link up with Mad Creations on social media so you never miss a recipe.
Savoury Garlic Chives & Cheddar Keto Scone
- 50 g golden flax meal or golden flax seeds for milling
- 145 g almond meal
- 25 g whey protein isolate I use Isopure (whey protein makes the mixture light and scone-like)
- ½ teaspoon xanthan gum
- 2 teaspoons baking powder I use Bobs Red Mill Double Action
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt flakes
- 30 g sour cream
- 50 g butter cold
- 100 g cheddar cheese grated
- 3 eggs 160g in total
- 1 tablespoon garlic chives finely sliced, add 1 tbsp extra for stronger flavour
- Preheat the oven to 180℃. Line a baking tray with baking paper.
- Combine flax meal, almond meal, whey protein isolate, xanthan, baking powder, and salt into a stand mixer with dough hook attached..
- Add rest of ingredients and mix until just combined.
- Follow instructions below from Step 5 onwards.
- Preheat the oven to 175℃. Line a baking tray with baking paper.
- Mill flax seeds 10 seconds/speed 10.
- Add rest of ingredients, except chives. Mix 40 seconds/speed 4.
- Fold through garlic chives.
- Place lightly oiled scone cutter mould on prepared tray and spoon in 50 g tablespoons of batter (I measure) into mould. With an oiled index finger gently tap the mix into shape and remove the mould and repeat with all the batter. Makes 12 scones.
- Place tray into refrigerator for 15 minutes before baking. This helps give a higher rise and less spread of the scone.
- Bake for 20-22 minutes or until lightly golden and cooked through.