Za’atar Chicken Keto Carbonara
This Za’atar Chicken is one of my most popular bowl licking family meals I have ever created!
Using one of my very special spice blends, all the way from the Middle East, this dish is not “spicy” in heat but has the most delicious flavours.
Za’atar Chicken is rich and creamy more so from the use of the vegetables than the cream cheese and cream.
The Za’atar Chicken has also proven to be a hit with all the Thermomix® crowd. A super simple hidden vegetable Thermomix® recipr always proves popular.
Za’atar Chicken Ingredients
A simple recipe that just sounds exotic. Here are the ingredients that you need. You can find them all in most supermarkets.
- Za’atar Spice Blend – you can buy this in some supermarkets. However it is so easy to make your own Za’atar spice blend. Use our link for more details. Trust me you probably have all the ingredients in your pantry now.
- Vegetables – onion, cauliflower, mushrooms and pumpkin. This is the perfect hidden vegetable keto recipe. You may know I am not a fan of cauliflower. This recipe I love. No cauliflower taste at all.
- Meat – I have used chicken breast in this recipe. You can substitute chicken thigh or even pork fillet.
- Dairy – cream, cream cheese, and cheese. This is certainly not a dairy free keto recipe. To be honest all three ingredients could be left out though and enjoyed with more of a soup base.
- Chicken bone broth can be substituted with chicken or vegetable stock.
Love this recipe? Want more hearty keto recipes?
Here are just a few of my favourites
- Buttery Beef Casserole with Dumplings
- Creamy Keto Lemon Chicken Piccata
- Keto Beef Brisket Stroganoff
- Chicken Pot Pie Soup | Keto | Low carb recipe
- Butter Chicken | Keto | LCHF |
CONNECT WITH MAD CREATIONS
Don’t forget to link up with Mad Creations on social media so you never miss a recipe.
Creamy Cauliflower Za'atar Chicken Carbonara
- 50 g onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 70 g bacon
- 25 g butter
- 1/2 small cauliflower
- 2 chicken breast skin on
- 25 g butter extra for chicken
- 1 tsp Za'atar Spice Blend
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 6 large mushrooms
- 100 g pumpkin diced and cooked
- ½ cup chicken bone broth
- 1 cup cream
- 2 tsp jalapeños optional
- 75 g cream cheese
- 100 g cheddar grated
- Preheat oven to 200℃.
- Rice cauliflower 5 seconds/speed 5. Reserve.
- Add bacon, onion, garlic, and butter. Chop 5 seconds/speed 5
- Add cauliflower. Cook 4 minutes / 98℃ / speed 1
- And pumpkin, jalapeños, cream, cream cheese, and bone broth. Cook 5 minutes / 95℃ / stir reverse
- Meanwhile season the chicken with the za'atar and paprika, and cook chicken in butter, in frypan, over medium heat. Cook skin side down, until skin is lovely and golden. Turn once to cook other side
- Add diced mushroom and cook until golden and cooked through.
- Add the sauce and chicken into a small deep baking pan (I used a a bakeware loaf pan) top with grated cheese, and cook in the oven for 10 minutes, until cheese is all nice and gooey and melted.
- Cut breast into slices. Ladle sauce over chicken. Serve with a green salad
- To rice cauliflower, cut cauliflower into florets and place in a blender or food processor. Blend on medium speed for 5 seconds until cauliflower resembles rice.
- Season the chicken with the za'atar and paprika, and cook chicken in butter over medium heat. Cook skin side down until skin is lovely and golden. Turn once to cook other side. Add sliced mushroom and sauté until lightly brown. Remove and reserve
- In the same pan add bacon, cauliflower, onion, garlic, and butter. Sauté until fragrant and onion is translucent
- And pumpkin, stock, cream, jalapeños, and cream cheese. Cook until mixture reduces by half and begins to thicken. Serve as above
Photo by Christine Ladewig