Savoury Garlic Chives & Cheddar Keto Scone
These savoury keto scones have a beautifully light crispy outer edge, fluffy centre, they nicely rise in the oven and bloody delicious! A very simple recipe with so many variations you will be making them all the time.
Servings: 12 serves (1 scone per serve)
- 50 g golden flax meal or golden flax seeds for milling
- 145 g almond meal
- 25 g whey protein isolate I use Isopure (whey protein makes the mixture light and scone-like)
- ½ teaspoon xanthan gum
- 2 teaspoons baking powder I use Bobs Red Mill Double Action
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt flakes
- 30 g sour cream
- 50 g butter cold
- 100 g cheddar cheese grated
- 3 eggs 160g in total
- 1 tablespoon garlic chives finely sliced, add 1 tbsp extra for stronger flavour
Preheat the oven to 180℃. Line a baking tray with baking paper.
Combine flax meal, almond meal, whey protein isolate, xanthan, baking powder, and salt into a stand mixer with dough hook attached..
Add rest of ingredients and mix until just combined.
Follow instructions below from Step 5 onwards.
Preheat the oven to 175℃. Line a baking tray with baking paper.
Mill flax seeds 10 seconds/speed 10.
Add rest of ingredients, except chives. Mix 40 seconds/speed 4.
Fold through garlic chives.
Place lightly oiled scone cutter mould on prepared tray and spoon in 50 g tablespoons of batter (I measure) into mould. With an oiled index finger gently tap the mix into shape and remove the mould and repeat with all the batter. Makes 12 scones.
Place tray into refrigerator for 15 minutes before baking. This helps give a higher rise and less spread of the scone.
Bake for 20-22 minutes or until lightly golden and cooked through.
1. Refrigerate scones an airtight container for up to 5 days.
2. If freezing, pre-split scones for easy thawing and/or toasting.
3. These are suitable to eat on their own as a bun, or a great accompaniment to soup.
4. The variation of flavours is endless, please check main blog post for other tasty recipe ideas.
5. For a nut-free version use a combination 50/50 pepita/sunflower seed meal.
6. For dairy-free, replace butter with ghee or coconut oil, cheese for nut cheese, and sour cream for coconut yoghurt. Replace whey protein with pea protein isolate.
7. For egg-free, replace eggs with 160 g whipped Aquafaba or 1/2 cup "unsqueezed" zucchini.
Serving: 1serve (1 scone) | Calories: 175kcal | Carbohydrates: 4g | Protein: 6g | Fat: 15g | Saturated Fat: 5g | Cholesterol: 59mg | Sodium: 153mg | Potassium: 128mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 0g | Vitamin A: 275IU | Vitamin C: 0.2mg | Calcium: 135mg | Iron: 1mg | Net Carbs: 2g