Place all the ingredients into large heat safe bowl. Whisk until combined. Bring a saucepan half filled with water to a gentle simmer. Continue to whisk until the sweetener is no longer grainy (4-7 minutes) and the custard coats the back of a spoon. Remove from the heat.
Strain the ice cream to remove any lumps. Pour the custard into a thin layer in a large ziplock bag or shallow tray and freeze it flat for 8 hours or overnight.
Break or cut the ice cream into small chunks and pulse in a food processor or blender until smooth before freezing again. Freeze at least a further 3 hours after blending before serving.
Insert butterfly whisk. Add all ingredients to the mixer bowl. Mix 10 sec/speed 4.
Cook 9 min/90°C/speed 2. Strain the custard to remove any lumps. Pour the custard into a thin layer in a large ziplock bag or shallow tray and freeze it flat for 8 hours or overnight.
Break or cut the ice cream into small chunks and place into the mixer bowl. Mix 20 sec/speed 7. Scrape and repeat until smooth before freezing again. Freeze at least a further 3 hours after blending before serving.
- This recipe is suitable to make in any ice cream maker if you prefer.
- Always keep ice cream airtight to avoid ice crystals.
- Gelatin is used to soften the ice cream. If you are going to omit it you will need to use 1/2 teaspoon of xanthan gum, or 30ml of vodka to help keep the ice cream scoopable.
- The best sweeteners for keto ice creams are xylitol and allulose. Please note that xylitol is toxic to dogs and should be used and consumed with caution when around our four-legged family members. If using other sweeteners, the ice cream will be a lot firmer and may require you to leave it at room temperature for a while before it is scoopable.
- The flavoured collagen is optional. I have to say I loved it in this ice cream.
- Please note the ice cream custard will taste sweeter than the end result.
- For a dairy free keto ice cream please substitute coconut cream in place of the thickened cream.
Serving: 1serve | Calories: 351kcal | Carbohydrates: 3g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 36g | Saturated Fat: 22g | Cholesterol: 261mg | Sodium: 191mg | Potassium: 81mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 1496IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 74mg | Iron: 1mg | Magnesium: 7mg | Net Carbs: 2g