Thrifty Keto Chicken Soup – So easy and tasty
I truly think this Thrifty Keto Chicken Soup will quickly become one of my most popular recipes!
This is yet another super easy keto soup recipe that has such a depth of flavour. The chicken is melt in the mouth delicious, the soup slightly smokey, salty and herbaceous, overall a firm winner. I am not lying at all when I say I eat this and I clean the bowl with my finger (and straight into my mouth). Its really is that good!
Read on for a few tips on how to make the best low carb chicken soup you have tasted. Let’s just say this recipe is one of our most popular recipes on the website to date.
Thrifty Keto Chicken Soup Ingredients
The meat I have used for this recipe is the chicken “lovely legs”. basically chicken drumsticks that are skinless and had had the end of the bones removed. I picked them up for only $4kg. You can use chicken drumsticks, thigh pieces or whatever you want. For extra depth of flavour even some bacon hocks could be added as well.
Vegetables. Use whatever vegetables you have and whatever is cheap. In the recipe I have used just the basics. Onion, carrot, celery and zucchini are mostly pretty cheap. Other great vegetables would be pumpkin and cauliflower (when in season).
While I choose to use Marrow and Meadow Stock Paste and Nutraorganics Collagen, these can easily be substituted for any bone broth, stock and just 1/2 teaspoon of xanthan gum for thickener. Depending on the reduction of the soup no thickener may be necessary/
The collagen I have found has improved my hair out of site, and I even don’t think I look the 47 years of age I am. Less wrinkles? Maybe, but overall my skin is pretty good for someone who has spent a lot of years on the beach in the water without sunscreen or sunnies. A small amount in your thrifty keto chicken soup doesn’t add to too much extra cost, but adds extra health benefits.
The Perfect Breads to go with your Thrifty Soup
If you are anything like me you need a good keto bread recipe to go with your keto chicken soup. Here are just a few of my favourites
- Low Carb Focaccia Bread (with olives)
- Hemp Seedy Bread | Keto
- LCHF | Keto | Good for the Soul Bread
- Low Carb Bread Recipe | Keto bread
Want more Keto Soups?
I am feeling the love for the best low carb soups, so here are just a few more that you can add to your personalised keto meal plan.
- Keto Chicken Vegetable Soup
- Chicken Pot Pie Soup | Keto | Low carb recipe
- Keto Minestrone Soup
- Bacon Poached Egg Keto Tomato Soup
- Keto Soup Recipes Roundup
CONNECT WITH MAD CREATIONS
Don’t forget to link up with Mad Creations on social media so you never miss a recipe.
Thrifty Chicken and Vegetable Soup
- 40 g butter
- 60 g (1/2 medium) onion diced
- 1 clove garlic crushed and diced
- 70 g carrot (1/2 medium)
- 80 g celery diced
- 4 lovely legs or drumsticks (skin off)
- 1 medium zucchini diced
- 2 fresh bay leaves bruised
- 4 tsp lemon and herb bone broth concentrate I use Marrow and Meadowbone
- 4 cups water
- 1 tsp cracked pepper
- 1 tsp chipotle powder or smoked paprika
- 1 bacon/smoked pork bone optional
- 2 tbsp collagen peptides I use Nutraorganics Beauty Collagen this is a very gentle natural thickener, that has loads of health claims
- In a large saucepan melt butter over medium heat sauté onion, garlic, carrot and celery for 2-3 minutes
- Add chicken legs and zucchini and cook for further 10 minutes with the occasional stir.
- Add remaining ingredients. Cover with a lid and reduce to low temperature. Simmer for 60-90 minutes.
- Remove bay leaves and bacon bone (if using) and discard. Shred chicken and discard bones.
- Strain soup and puree vegetables in blender or Thermomix®( 5 seconds/speed 5) until smooth. Return all ingredients back to saucepan. Add collagen (if using) and cook until thickened. Season to taste. Serve.
- This soup can be made ahead and frozen in individual serves.
- The bacon bone is purely optional but imparts a delicious smokey flavour.
- The collagen peptides are a great natural thickener, using it does NOT result in a slimy thickener. It is very gentle and perfect for soup.
- Bone broth concentrate can be substituted with any stock or bone broth add extra herbs and a wedge of lemon in the soup while cooking.
For all the best in keto and low carb cook books and meal plans check out our huge library in store today.