Lemon Curd Sugar Free Vanilla Slice | Keto
Oh yes you are so going to love this sugar free vanilla slice recipe! I am on a keto bender creating some amazing fusions of the sugar free kind!
If you have already checked out our amazingly popular Keto Vanilla Slice recipe, then you are going to love this very simple adaptation of it. This sugar free vanilla slice is so yum. I am not just saying it but if you have had a look through my keto books, and searched through the Mad Creations website you will see I love my lemon curd. The mix of lemon curd and custard is seriously perfection and make this vanilla slice all the better!
After making a few varieties of sugar free vanilla slices it is hard to pick a favourite. I will say that a few friends are picking this one as a their favourite version. Please don’t be put off when you look at the method and think this has a lot of steps. I have instructions for both conventional and Thermomix methods. I try and do this with all my keto recipes so that it helps more people out with their cooking. You will find the same in all my ketogenic cookbooks in my Store.
Sugar Free Vanilla Slice Ingredients
The vanilla slice ingredients are pretty standard keto ingredients we will all have in our fridge or freezer.
The Sweeteners I prefer
My favourite sweetener would be Sukrin Melis in many recipes. Already in powdered form and I tend to use it in place of regular granular sweeteners as well. It also helps to have a sweetener that is zero carb and zero calorie.
Using the Sukrin Melis I have also found that there is very minimal re-crystalisation of sweetener in the Lemon Curd recipe as well. What can happen with many sweeteners is the sweetener after melting forms into an almost “crushed ice-like” texture upon cooling. I have just found the Sukrin Melis has less of this occuring.
I always use Bobs Red Mill Double Acting Baking Powder in my baking. This baking power gives superior results in baking on my opinion. It is also aluminium free, gluten free and non GMO.
Great Lakes Gelatin is sourced from grass fed beef. Personally I find it my most preferred brand as it does not contain the very strong beefy scent as many other brands do. Beef aroma is the last thing I want in my sugar free vanilla slice. lol.
Tips on making sugar free Vanilla Slice
There is an easy way and a little bit more fiddly way to make this vanilla slice but either way isn’t difficult. Make it in a basic slab or in a bar mould. I use a 24 x 7cm x 3.5cm mould. Line the the silicone mould with cling film being careful to line the inside of each bar mould so the vanilla custard shapes properly. Spoon the custard into each of the moulds. and set before sandwiching between the pastry pieces and top with lemon curd.
The best tips with the pastry dough I can give you is this is a wet mix. When spreading it out just sandwich between two sheets of baking paper.
I draw a line around the tin I am going to use for a slab slice, or I just score to the size I need to fit my bar mould and lift onto a baking tray and bake.
The pastry is easy to cut straight out of the oven if needed to be cut into shape to fit bars or tray.
CONNECT WITH MAD CREATIONS
Don’t forget to link up with Mad Creations on social media so you never miss a recipe.
Firstly, you should know that we have a great Keto Community on our Facebook Page and Facebook Group. Join us at both for lots of sharing of recipes and learning more about the ketogenic lifestyle and the ketogenic diet. You will learn quickly that we are passionate about creating keto recipes that everyone can enjoy and fits a full lifestyle of needs.
We also have a fabulous store filled with ketogenic cookbooks. At the time of writing this we have 18 titles available. So there is definitely something for everyone. You can check them all out here https://madcreationshub.com/shop
If you love this recipe, then please Pin it to your favourite board and give us a comment below to know you want to see other varieties out soon. They will be
- Monte Carlo Keto Vanilla Slice
- Top Deck Keto Vanilla Slice
- Caramello Keto Vanilla Slice
- Keto Vanilla Slice
Lemon Curd Sugar Free Vanilla Slice
If making into bars
- 24 x 7cm x 3.5cm silicone bar mould
- If making into bars please use the technique highlighted in the blog post.
- Preheat oven to 180℃.
- Beat together butter and sweetener until light and fluffy.
- Add egg yolk, whole egg, lemon juice, and vanilla. Beat for 1 minute.
- Mix in dry ingredients and blend well.
- Split dough in half and roll out each half of dough between 2 sheets of baking paper to approximately 2mm thick and approximately the size of the baking tray you are going to use to assemble the slice. I use a 28cm x 21cm slice tin. See images for tips.
- Lift pastry filled paper and place onto a large baking tray.
- Bake for about 10-12 minutes until lightly golden. Biscuit will still be soft. Allow to cool on tray for 5 minutes then move to wire rack to cool completely. Biscuits will continue to crisp over a couple of hours.
- Move 1 sheet of pastry to a baking paper lined tin (28x21cm) and reserve.
- Add cream and vanilla to a small saucepan. Whisking mixture over medium heat until a low simmer and remove from heat.
- In a separate bowl whisk together eggs, sweetener, xanthan, and gelatin. Whisk through cream mix and return to heat and continue whisking until custard thickens and coats the back of a spoon.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool.
- Fold through 1/3 of the prepared lemon curd.
- Pour custard onto prepared pastry in baking tin. Top with second pastry sheet. Cover and refrigerate for 3-4 hours until custard has set.
- Top vanilla slice with extra lemon curd and coconut flakes.
- Cut and serve.
- Preheat oven to 180℃.
- Beat together butter and sweetener 30 seconds/speed 4
- Add egg yolk, whole egg, lemon juice, and vanilla.
- Beat 1 minute/speed 4.
- Scrape sides of bowl.
- Add dry ingredients and mix 1 minute/speed 4.
- Follow from step 5 in conventional method.
- Add sweetener and xanthan to mixer
- Blend 10 seconds / speed 10
- Add eggs, cream, vanilla and gelatin. Insert Butterfly.
- Cook 9 minutes / 90℃ / speed 4
- Cool and follow as above.