As I get my Keto Asian groove on this Sugar Free Sweet and Sour is crazy good! If you are a massive sweet and sour fan you are really going to love this sauce.
Prior to keto if I ever ordered Chinese takeaway there always seemed to be something sweet and sour in my little takeaway containers. A sugar free sweet and sour sauce and dishes had to be created to add to my growing keto recipe collection.
Extremely quick and easy to make I will say that this sauce does have the perfect balance and consistency that you will not feel like you are missing out on anything.
HOW TO MAKE SUGAR FREE SWEET AND SOUR SAUCE
This is far from rocket science. A very easy sweet and sour sauce that is ready in minutes.
For ease of making I chose to use a purchased sugar free tomato sauce however if you prefer to make your own then I do have a great sugar free tomato sauce recipe click HERE.
- Simply sauté onions, capsicum, chilli and garlic in olive oil.
- Add the remaining ingredients and cook until the sauce thickens and coats the back of a spoon. If it isn’t thickening just add a little more xanthan gum. (Be careful to not overdo xanthan gum or it will make it too pasty). The consistency is perfect and you won’t even know this is a sweet and sour sauce without pineapple.
I have added some extra notes in the recipe card for storage and substitutions.
WHAT TO SERVE SWEET AND SOUR WITH
Traditionally a Chinese sweet and sour sauce is served with chicken or pork. It teams really well with a firm fish or tofu as well. I love mine in my Keto Sweet and Sour Pork recipe. Again just a crazy simple keto recipe that totally works!
I also think that any sweet and sour dish should have some fresh sliced spring onions scattered over for a clean fresh tasting recipe.
LOVE ASIAN KETO RECIPES?
You may also like
- Keto Sichuan Beef and Broccoli
- Chicken Pad See Ew
- Sticky Asian Beef Ribs
- Saffron Chicken Korma
- Butter Chicken
CONNECT WITH MAD CREATIONS
Don’t forget to link up with Mad Creations on social media so you never miss a recipe.
SUGAR FREE SWEET AND SOUR SAUCE
- 1 1/2 tablespoon (1 tablespoon) olive oil
- 1 (0.5) small onion sliced
- ½ (0.5) green capsicum diced
- 1-2 (1) long red chillies deseeded
- 1 (1) garlic clove finely minced
- 240 ml (5.07 floz) chicken bone broth
- 90 g (2.12 oz) sugar free tomato sauce
- 3 tablespoons (2 tablespoons) Sukrin gold granular or sweetener of choice
- 1 1/2 tablespoon (1 tablespoon) rice wine vinegar or apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon (2 teaspoon) gluten free soy sauce or coconut aminos
- ½ teaspoon (0.5 teaspoon) sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon (0.5 teaspoon) xanthan gum
- 1/2 teaspoon (0.5 teaspoon) natural red food colour
- 1/2 teaspoon (0.5 teaspoon) white pepper for a slightly peppery sauce
- Heat oil over medium heat and sauté onion, capsicum, chilli and garlic until fragrant.
- Add all remaining ingredients. Cook stirring until sauce reduces and becomes thick.
- Sauce is ready when thick enough to coat the back of a spoon.
Your Own Notes
15 responses to “Sugar Free Sweet and Sour Sauce”
Do you need to use bone broth or can you use water or something else ?
So tasty. A great sweet and sour sauce.
So I am not the type to comment on recipes unless they are sensational, but THIS. IS. SENSATIONAL.
I’m new to Keto and am so delighted that I can still eat food like this.
Thanks for this recipe!!
Fast becoming an avid fan. I have been doing keto for 1myear and really wanting to use my Thermo more. And,then I found you. Is there Thermo instructions for this recipe please?
Truly delicious recipe. Thanks so much for sharing!
This sauce is excellent !!!! I had never used xantham as a thickner and was pleasantly suprised!! I am making a sweet and sour deep fried pork with a puffy batter ..recipe found on internet…and Chinese fried rice( cauliflower )… I have made the rice before and got a thumbs up from a very unbelieving guy!! Got a two thumbs up on this!
Delicious! As already mentioned, you’d never know it was sugar free and it’s definitely restaurant quality. I did spice it up a little more, because we like heat, and used birdseye as well as cayenne chillies.
This was an absolute flavour sensation… you would not know this wasn’t from Chinese Restaurant. Perfect balance of flavours. Another winner in our house. Thankyou
I prepared this with pork yesterday. What can I say?
You would have thought I’d made a trip to the local Chinese restaurant. That’s how good this is.
Oh my goodness you wouldn’t even know that this is sugar free!!! It’s so quick and simple and over pork or chicken it’s delicious. I didn’t even miss pineapple in it.
This one was demolished by my family and will be on rotation in my meal plans.
Thanks Megan for yet another crowd pleasing recipe