Salt and Pepper Fish
Following a ketogenic diet I think makes for easier meal prep times.
Seeing we are using more unprocessed foods and keeping our diet low carb, throwing a few ingredients together in easy keto meals is the best way to eat.
Making this dish is so easy and quick. Just follow the basic steps below and your meal will be done in minutes.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
Quick and easy – this recipe takes hardly any time to make, so you can make crispy gluten free fried fish fillets in minutes.
Keeps for a few days – make it ahead and serve cold in salads or low carb lunches.
Variations – make Whole30 mayonnaise, paleo, and keto-friendly fish with just a few ingredients.
Scroll to the recipe card at the bottom for the quantity of ingredients used and the full detailed method to make salt and pepper fish.
Fish: I use kingfish. It is a meaty white fish that holds up well to frying or baking.
Whey Protein Isolate: I use this to help give a light crispy coating to the fish. You can use a non-bitter tasting aluminium free baking powder in its place (just use 1 tablespoon).
How to Make It
- Cut the fish into smallish pieces. Not too small as you want the fish to maintain moisture.
- Mix seasonings together and season the fish.
- Heat the oil over medium-high heat and fry seasoned king fish in batches for 2-3 minutes each side.
- Drain on paper towel and serve with favourite side and salad.
What to Serve with Fish
Personally, I am always happy to eat fish straight off the barbecue, pan or grill. I love it as it is plain and fresh, seasoned, fried, grilled, or in curries and fresh soups.
For this salt and pepper fish, I really wanted something a bit punchy so kind of ended up teaming it with a Lemon Gremolata. A gremolata is so easy to make and with great fresh ingredients.
Fish teams well with a light salad, a creamy dressing like homemade keto mayonnaise or keto ranch dressing.
More Recipes to Try
If you want more like this then try some of the below
- Keto Salmon Patties | Air fryer + Bake Steps
- Lemon Chicken Piccata
- Oven Baked Salmon in Foil
- Tuna Casserole
- Easy Fish Tacos
RAVING NEW FAN? Subscribe to our newsletter. Join our keto community on Facebook, Instagram or see all the new stuff on Pinterest.
Salt and Pepper Seasoned King Fish
- 450 g white fish fillets fillets skin off, pin-boned
- 30 g whey protein isolate
- 1 tablespoon sea salt flakes plus extra for seasoning
- 1 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 1 teaspoon cayenne or chilli flakes
- 1 tablespoon lemon pepper I use Goya brand
- Olive oil for frying
- Lemon wedges
- Lemon Gremolata
- Chop fish fillets into large chunks.
- Mix all dry seasoning ingredients together.
- Heat 2-3 tablespoons of olive oil in a frypan over medium-high heat.
- Toss fish pieces in seasoning and transfer to frypan. Be careful to not over-crowd your pan and work in batches if need be.
- Fry 2-3 minutes each side or until cooked through. Drain on paper towel.
- Season fish well and serve with arugula salad, lemon and Lemon Gremolata.
Your Own Notes
Megan Ellam is an Australian keto recipes blogger and author of amazing keto cookbooks such as Keto Mojo, Slow Cook Keto, Keto Loco, The Healthy Family Keto Cookbook and Every Day Keto.
Megan has been following a ketogenic diet since being diagnosed with insulin resistance in early 2017.
Leave a Reply