What is Peri Peri Chicken?
Peri Peri Chicken has become more and more popular with the rise of restaurants like Nando’s. Homemade peri peri chicken Nando’s style is a good recipe to have. Just think juicy, garlicky, zesty and vibrant spicy chicken. It is soooo good!
Peri Peri Chicken is also known as piri piri chicken. Is there a difference between the two? No, there isn’t, both are deliciously good Portuguese African chicken.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
Delicious! – there really isn’t a better reason to love a recipe than this!
Quick and easy – this whole butterflied Peri Peri Chicken recipe has minimal ingredients but makes a filling and delicious main meal.
Low carb – at only 2g net carbs per serve, this is an ideal low-carb and keto-friendly dinner.
Various cooking methods – I have included methods to air fry, grill, or oven bake. Thermal cooking methods for our Thermomix® users have been included for the sauce too.
Scroll to the recipe card at the bottom for the quantity of each ingredient used and the full detailed recipe for this delicious peri peri sauce chicken recipe!
Free Range Chicken – I have cooked this with a whole free range chicken, which requires minimal preparation! You can substitute with chicken breasts (skin on or off), chicken thigh fillets, or even wings or drumsticks.
Garlic – I like to buy Australian Garlic whenever possible, as the flavour from freshly minced garlic cloves is much better than from the jars of minced garlic.
Paprika, bird’s eye chili peppers, chili sauce, and chili flakes – sounds like quite a spicy combo doesn’t it? This piri piri sauce recipe has a bit of spice to it without it being hot and spicy, if you know what I mean. It is nicely balanced and with the amount used to marinate the chicken just adds a tasty flavour without a full-on chilli kick! If you love super spicy then use hotter chillies or more of the spices. This is the chili garlic sauce I use.
Roasted capsicum/red peppers – I use fire-roasted red peppers from the supermarket. You can roast your own your peppers if preferred.
Lime or lemon juice – use freshly squeezed for lots of zesty goodness.
FAQs and Tips
You can easily swap any part of the chicken in place of butterflied chicken. Baste and cook the chicken breast at the same heat as the original recipe. Reduce the cooking time to 20-30 minutes, turning halfway, until the internal temperature is reached.
Sure can! Freeze it cooked or uncooked. The peri sauce can be frozen on its own too.
It is said that peri peri originated in South Africa by Portuguese explorers. A spicy sauce made with Africa’s birds eye chillies and much-loved the world over.
How to Spatchcock a Chicken
Learn how to butterfly (spatchcock) a chicken with these easy steps.
Step 1. Place the chicken breast side down on a cutting board. Using a pair of kitchen scissors cut the backbone out of the chicken by cutting along each side of the backbone. The bone can be used in stock or flavouring a sauce rather than discarding.
Step 2. Turn the chicken over, and press your hands down on the breast and flatten the chicken. It is just that simple. If preferred, you can cut through the centre alongside the breast bone and cut it into two halves.
Step 3. Season the chicken or baste with a marinade. Bring to room temperature before cooking.
How To Make Peri Peri Chicken
Scroll to the recipe card at the bottom for the quantity of each ingredient used and the full detailed recipe for this delicious copycat Nando’s Chicken recipe!
Step 1: Place all ingredients into a blender or food processor and puree until smooth.
Step 3: Preheat oven to 240°C/220°C FAN/475°F. Line a baking tray with foil then add a sheet of parchment paper. Place chicken onto prepared tray skin-side up. Baste with a tablespoon of oil. Season with salt flakes and black pepper.
Step 4. Bake 20 minutes. Reduce oven temp to 200°C/180°C FAN/400°F. Bake for a further 35-40 minutes, or until the internal temperature in the meatiest part is (75°C/165°F). Serve with gremolata and leftover peri peri sauce. For a creamy sauce add a tablespoon of sour cream or yoghurt.
More Recipes To Try
Peri Peri Chicken Recipe
- 1.6 kg whole chicken butterflied (instructions added to help you do this)
PERI PERI MARINADE
- 4 tablespoons olive oil (60g), plus extra for basting
- 2 teaspoon chilli flakes
- 1-2 cloves garlic finely minced
- 0.5 cup roasted red capsicum
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1-2 red Thai chilli finely chopped, optional, for a milder sauce remove the membrane and seeds
- 1 tablespoon chilli & garlic sauce I use Huy Fong brand found in most supermarkets
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- Zest and juice of 1 lime
- Salt and pepper to taste
OVEN BAKE METHOD
- Place all the marinade ingredients into a blender and mix until well pureed. Set aside.
- Place the chicken breast side down on a cutting board. Using a pair of kitchen scissors cut the backbone out of the chicken but cutting along each side of the backbone. The bone can be used in stock or flavouring a sauce rather than discarding.
- Turn the chicken over and press your hands down on the breast and flatten the chicken. Pour half of the marinade into a small bowl, cover and chill to serve. Use the remainder to baste the chicken all both sides. Set the chicken aside at room temperature to marinate and come to room temperature before roasting or grilling. (see notes)
- Preheat oven to 240°C/220°C FAN/475°F. Line a baking tray with foil then add a sheet of parchment paper.
- Place the chicken onto prepared tray skin-side up. Baste with a tablespoon of oil. Bake 20 minutes. Reduce oven temp to 200°C/180°C FAN/400°F. Bake for a further 35-40 minutes, or until the internal temperature in the meatiest part is (75°C/165°F). Serve with gremolata and leftover peri peri sauce. For a creamy sauce add a tablespoon of sour cream or yoghurt.
AIR FRYER METHOD
- Prepare the marinade and chicken as above. Preheat the air fryer to 180°C/350°F for 3 minutes. Place the marinated chicken into the basket. Baste with 1 tablespoon of oil and bake for 20 minutes. Turn the chicken over and cook for a further 15-20 minutes or until the internal temperature in the meatiest part is (75°C/165°F). Serve with gremolata and leftover peri peri sauce. For a creamy sauce add a tablespoon of sour cream or yoghurt.
NINJA FOODIE XL GRILL
- Prepare the marinade and chicken as above. Press grill button, set to medium/25 min. Once “Add Food” flashes, add butterflied chicken skin side up onto grill and close lid. Halfway through grilling time turn the chicken over and grill until the internal temperature in the meatiest part is (75°C/165°F). Serve with gremolata and leftover peri peri sauce. For a creamy sauce add a tablespoon of sour cream or yoghurt.
- Place all the marinade ingredients into mixer; mix 1 min/speed 9. Scrape down sides of bowl and repeat if needed. Follow from step 2 above.
- I use Grove avocado oil or extra virgin olive in this recipe.
- Fire roasted red capsicum can be purchased jarred/canned at the supermarket. Alternatively, roast over a gas flame, grill or in the oven until the skin is blackened and charred. Sweat the capsicum in a bag then peel and discard skin and the seeds.
- Any of your favourite chillies can be used. Increase up to 4 chillies if preferred or add higher Scoville chillies for a more intense chilli flavour. If you do not like spicy food, then you can also omit them altogether.
- I use a free range chicken around 1.6kg/3.5 pounds. On average this serves 4 people with a little leftover. Increase the chicken size if you need to feed more people.
All recipes have been tested using all of the cooking methods included by various recipe testers.
Your Own Notes
68 responses to “Peri Peri Chicken”
Peri peri is such a great flavour and this chicken was packed with flavour!
The flavor in this was so so good. We baked it in the oven, but I also can’t wait to try it in the air fryer. Thanks so much for the instructions for both!
Oh wow, the marinade was absolutely delicious and so full of flavour that I just had to make it! It was delicious!
Fantastic images and recipe. We will be making your peri-peri chicken dish on the grill ASAP. Thanks for sharing this spicy recipe.
This chicken is soooo flavorful! I love it it’s not too hard to make and goes with just about any side dishes. Thank you!
This recipe is so simple in ingredients but huge in flavor! The skin comes out perfectly crispy while the center is juicy.
These flavors are so good together and made the best tasting chicken! So happy we tried this recipe, thank you!
I’ve been looking for new grilling marinades for chicken and this did not disappoint. So flavorful!
Wow! This peri-peri chicken recipe looks so yummy! It was cooked to perfection, and the texture is so good. Loved it!
I used to love going to Nando’s for their peri peri chicken, but we no longer live near one. This recipe was a perfect copycat of theirs which made me so happy! Thank you for this!
This peri peri chicken turned out so good! The marinade is unbelievably flavored with the perfect kick of spice, and the chicken was super juicy.
The flavours and the tenderness of the chicken was a big hit with the whole family. We will be making it again this weekend.
So delicious and just like Nandos. I made them in the air fryer and they turned out juicy and flavourful. Great recipe.
Well done! This peri peri chicken is super juicy and spicy! Well rounded recipe
Oh my gosh, it looks like an easy recipe to make. To be honest, seeing this dish making my mouthwatering!
This peri peri chicken was bursting with flavor! It was so easy to make and everyone went back for seconds!
Love this spicy marinade. Love this on the grill!
This turned out so delicious! I am always looking for new low carb spicy meals, and this checked all the boxes!
I saw Sunny Anderson lose her mind over Peri Peri chicken on a re-run of The Kitchen. I had to find a recipe to try. Yours is it!
Delicious! We all loved the chicken. I cooked it in the air fryer and the times were all good. I served it with your ranch and air fried beans and it was epic! Thanks Megan