Keto Hot Cross Buns – Fruit Toast
Mad Creations Keto Hot Cross Buns were quite simply created because of demand.
Easter last year I was pushed to publish a keto hot cross bun, and I really had no idea how to make them anything like a real bun. Now I know a lot better.
These rolls are actually rolls! It is like eating a real bun, and it is sweet (even without the sweetener) I would not even consider putting out a recipe if it didn’t work the way I want them to.
So if you are looking for a Keto Hot Cross Bun to fill that hankering, then these guys are “go to”. Another recipe just trying to make a sugar free diet a little easier at Easter time.
The photographed recipe is just with spices, but I have also done it with some 85% Cacao Chocolate which was pretty yum. One of our testers Hayley Stephenson did them with some sultanas to keep the hubster and kids happy too. Basically you can pimp them to your taste.
I hope you really enjoy them. Please SHARE for me, and pin to your favourite board.
Happy Easter (I know it’s not yet, but you are going to be eating these suckers anyway)
This variety below is just without the cross for a really tasty fruit toast. Thanks to Natusha Joy. for making these and getting a great photo of them to show off!
Have you connected with us yet?
Join us on Facebook
Or buy the books at Shopify
Mad Creations Keto Hot Cross Buns
- 300 g almond meal
- 50 g psyllium husks
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 40 g sweetener this is optional, I have made them with and without sweetener and both ways are lovely
- 6 (175g) egg whites
- 365 g boiling water I infused the water with a Strawberry & Cream Tisane from T2 -Teas
- 40 g apple cider vinegar
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp ground cloves
- 1/2 tsp allspice
Optional extras (not counted in nutritional)
- 50 g dark chocolate chopped
- 50 g dried fruits ie sultanas, currants (If you want to take the carb hit then go for it)
- 50 g glace ginger
- essential oils
- 2 egg whites
- 1/4 cup sweetener)
Preheat oven to 175℃. Line a large baking tray with baking paper.
- Mix almond meal, psyllium, baking powder and salt 5 seconds/speed 9.
- Add the rest of the bun ingredients and combine 1 minute/dough setting. Shape into 10 - 12 equal sized buns. (I did 10 at 100g each)
- Place buns on prepared tray and place in oven and cook for 55 minutes.
- Prepare cross mix close to end of cooking time.
- Place butterfly in clean dry bowl, and add your egg whites and mix 3 minutes/speed 3.5.
- After about 1 minute when soft peaks have formed begin adding your xylitol 1 spoon at a time while mixing. Mixture should be glossy and sweetener dissolved.
- Take buns out of oven at the 55 minute mark (check that they are cooked inside) and pipe crosses on top of buns and return to oven for a few minutes to dry the meringue without too much discolouration.
- Leave buns to cool on tray before eating.
- Serve with lashings of butter.
- This mix can be done in a bowl or a mixer. In this case I will do with a Mixer.
Place Dough Hook on mixer or Paddle attachment if you don't have one.
- Mix almond meal, psyllium, making powder and salt to combine. Add rest of bun ingredients and mix for 1 minute.
Complete recipe as above.
- To prepare cross meringue, clean bowl, and using whisk attachment add egg whites and whip to soft peaks then gradually add sweetenerl. Once all added continue to whisk for 3 minutes until thick and glossy.