Keto Chicken Taco
This Keto Chicken Taco is one of the most fabulous looking recipes I have made at least in my eyes.
It not only looks fabulous and tastes amazing but eating tacos like this is so much better, as it doesn’t crumble and break apart. The one thing I hate about eating tacos is how most of it ends up falling apart when it’s in a taco shell. This keto taco recipe is a game changer.
I was first influenced by a Naked Chicken Chalupa ad I saw somewhere online for Taco Bell. I don’t have any Taco Bell’s local to me, I am unsure if they are even in Australia, but I thought to myself I could easily do a keto version. So I did!
Ingredients for a Keto Chicken Taco
Chicken – in the recipe I have used fresh chicken breast and minced it. You can however substitute chicken mince if you wish.
Pork Rinds – the crumb is made with pork rinds, but you can use either an almond meal or golden flaxmeal coating as a substitute.
Fillings to have with your Taco
As this keto taco recipe is totally different to a standard taco, the fillings do not include meat (unless you want). Personally I am a big fan of all of these
- Guacamole – it is essential. I know there are a few of you who hate avocado. Crazy people!
- Pico de Gallo – tomato, onion and fresh cilantro with a dash of lime juice… yum!
- Shredded lettuce or a quick rad cabbage slaw.
CONNECT WITH MAD CREATIONS
Don’t forget to link up with Mad Creations on social media so you never miss a recipe.
For all the Keto Mexican recipe fans here are just a few more to check out
- Best Ever Keto Chicken Enchiladas
- Best Ever Keto Enchilada Sauce
- Smokey Mexican Keto Chicken Taco Soup
- Keto Chilli Con Carne
- Mexican Steak Keto Fajitas | easy keto recipe
Watch me make the Keto Chicken Taco
Keto Chicken Taco
Taco Shells Crumb
- 200 g pork rinds
- 400 g duck fat or lard enough for deep frying
- Sour cream
- Hot sauce
- You can add some chilli con queso, or grated cheese, whatever toppings you love with your tacos
- 1 egg
- 55 g cheddar cheese
- 500 g chicken breast
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp coriander
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp Mexican oregano
- 1 whole grated chipotle or 1 tsp chipotle powder
- Place pork rinds into blender or Thermomix®
- Pulse until you have crumbs. TM - Mix 5 seconds/speed 6 * Alternatively crush with a rolling pin in a bag
- Transfer to large bowl.
- Microplane cheese (TM 5 seconds/speed 7)
- 6. Add chicken and egg to Mixer or blender
- 7. Blend chicken and egg in food processor until it comes together. (TM 30 seconds/speed 9) Transfer to a separate bowl.
- Whisk all egg wash ingredients in separate bowl.
- Make 5 even sized balls of chicken mince. Place between a split ziplock sandwich bag, and gently flatten into a round in a tortilla press (or use press between bench top and the underside of a large plate)
- Baste both sides of flattened chicken with egg wash and sprinkle with with pork rinds pressing firmly.
- Half fold the flattened chicken to form taco shape and place a wedge between to hold the shape. I used an ice cream mould but even a ball of baking paper or aluminium foil would work. Freeze 60 minutes.
- Bring oil to high temperature. Remove wedge from taco shell and gently fry in batches. Careful to not overcrowd the saucepan. Fry until lightly golden and cooked through. Fill tacos with fillings and serve
- Chefs Note • Compliant Pork Rinds can be order through www.poppaporkys.com.au NUTRITIONAL INFO NOTE • I have calculated the Nutritional Label as raw and unfilled. As you can fill this with whatever that will change the outcome, and of course using different fats, and temperatures would affect the absorbency of added fats. There is definitely more fat in the “Naked Taco” but the average Net Carbs are still are still incredibly low at only 0.55 grams.
Want more recipes that suit the Keto diet? Check out our full collection of keto cookbooks in store Click here