Duck Fat Keto Fried Chicken
Starting out on this Keto lifestyle, has truly opened up some different ways of thinking and cooking for me. Usually I am looking at ways to remove unnecessary fats, and cook by a method that is “healthier” than frying etc. well now that has changed, and hello frying! Hello Duck Fat Keto Fried Chicken!
Oh an a bigger hello to Duck Fat! Boy does it add flavour!
This recipe was born from my need to cook something easy. Now while it does take more than half an hour to cook, I still didn’t have to do much to it. No chopping, slicing, etc, just straight into the Thermomix, then straight into piping hot Duck Fat.
Now I will say this chicken is good, real good! It’s crispy, salty, buttery, succulent.. It’s good hot and cold.
There is however one problem and one danger. Any guesses? The danger is, it’s so good you want to eat it all. Seriously!
So to avoid overeating your protein, only stick to small batches that only allows a maximum of 2 pieces per person so you don’t go over your protein allowance lol.
If you are good at restraint it makes a great addition to the lunchbox the next day.
My Duck Fat Fried Chicken & Sage was one of my first recipes I created when changing over keto.
It’s funny when we first change over to Keto, that you realise you can all of a sudden eat foods that you once thought were bad for us.
How many of you didn’t eat butter, cream, fat, fried foods before changing to this lifestyle? I didn’t that is for sure and I find it still weird to this day.
As I am currently on an egg fast and cooked my fried eggs this morning in a sea of butter then poured that brown butter over the top of my eggs and then even added salt, I thought to myself this is kind of crazy and amazing at the same time.
There is no denying that this is an exceptionally great way to lose weight and to even maintain yourself on this diet when you can eat brie and fried chicken but can’t eat bread. Oh my how I miss bread … NOT! It should be noted I was a huge baker and bread-a-holic, but because I can eat so many other things I didn’t before I don’t miss it at all to be completely honest.
CONNECT WITH MAD CREATIONS
Don’t forget to link up with Mad Creations on social media so you never miss a recipe.
Duck Fat Keto Fried Chicken
- 4 chicken thigh cutlets skin on
- 1 bunch sage
- 400 g duck fat
- Himalayan pink salt
- Bring to the boil a half filled saucepan of water. Reduce to a simmer and place steamer basket on top.
- Place thigh cutlets into steamer. Cover with lid or baking paper and steam for 15-20 minutes, or until almost cooked through.
- Heat duck fat in large saucepan to high temperature
- Place chicken skin side down in the hot duck fat
- Fry for 5 minutes with the lid on, turn over fry for 5 minutes lid off. Repeat both sides, adding sage for last few minutes of frying
- Drain on paper towel. Season to serve
- Place 800 ml of water into Thermomix, and then place your cutlets into your large varoma and place on top of Thermomix and cover with the lid.
- Cook 20 minutes / Varoma / speed 2
- Complete recipe from Step 3 above