What is Taboule?
Taboule goes by several “spellings” and names, aka taboulé, tabbouleh, French taboulè, Lebanese Tabbouleh, tabouli… and I am sure many more.
Just like its spelling it has various incarnations on how to make it too. Mostly a fresh parsley and herb salad, with tomato and bulgur wheat. It is simple and tasty. Variations include different herbs, dressing, vegetables, and different grains or in this recipe seeds.
Taboule is traditionally served as part of Middle Eastern, Mediterranean and Arabic cuisine. It is perfect served with grilled meats, hummus, baba ganoush, pita bread and so much more! Try it with our Lebanese Beef Kofta recipe.
FACT: How to pronounce taboule. Albeit there are several versions. You say “tomahto” I say “tomayto”. Haha!
Why You’ll Love It
Quick and easy – This classic taboule salad recipe is super simple and ready in minutes.
Gluten free – taboule is gluten-free, grain-free, vegan, and low in carbs.
Versatile – use as a side salad, or bulk it out with avocado, crumbled feta, vegetables or protein.
Scroll to the recipe card for the full list of ingredients to make this easy keto tabouli recipe.
Italian parsley – also known as continental parsley is the best parsley to use. Don’t use curly parsley as it just won’t taste the same. Parsley is the main ingredient so make sure it is fresh. You want (firmly packed) two cups flat leaf parsley (mostly leaves and some stems) for
Mint leaves – fresh common mint is what you need. Swap with cilantro (coriander) if you prefer.
Green onions – slice super thin. If you don’t have any swap for 1/4 red onion finely diced.
Cherry tomatoes – I like to use mixed cherry tomatoes, but you can use any tomato you like. swap with strawberries, raspberries or avocado if you prefer.
Hemp hearts – to make this low carb and keto friendly, I use hemp seeds. You can substitute with orzo, risoni, bulgur wheat (traditional tabouleh), or couscous. Taboule with couscous and Orzo Tabbouleh used tobe big favorites of mine before following a low carb diet.
Other ingredients – use a simple dressing like extra virgin olive oil and lemon juice. Red wine vinegar, hemp seed oil or avocado oil are also great alternatives. To make it more of a meal add diced cucumber, avocado, nuts, and seeds.
How to Make Taboule
Step 1. Finely chop parsley, mint, and green onions. Place into a large bowl.
Step 2. Add the remaining ingredients and mix everything together. Season to taste.
HOT TIP. Mix through the dressing only when ready to serve.
What to Serve with Taboulé
Lebanese taboule goes great with so many other foods. Pair it with steak and sauteed mushrooms, or a keto chicken kebab.
Make it heartier with grilled chicken, hot smoked salmon, or cooked shrimp (prawns). I love it with perfect blemish-free avocado slices and Kafta.
This version is both wheat-free and gluten-free. Authentic Lebanese tabouli contains bulgar wheat which does have gluten. Use hemp seeds, sunflower seeds, or cauliflower rice to make the taboule gluten free, low-carb and keto-friendly.
You can freeze it and use in soups, stews, or stir-fries. As a Lebanese salad, it is best served and eaten within a few days.
More Salads You Might Like
- Keto Roasted Pumpkin Salad with Lemon Yogurt
- Keto Thai Beef Salad
- Spiced Chickpea Salad
- Four Bean Salad
- Israeli Salad
Watch Me Make It
A very quick step-by-step video on how to make this amazing wheat free taboule.
- 2 cups Italian parsley see notes
- 1 cup fresh mint leaves
- 2 green onions
- 0.5 cup cherry tomatoes quartered
- 0.5 cup cucumber diced
- 0.5 cup hemp hearts or orzo, risoni, bulgur, or couscous
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tbsp lemon juice
- Salt flakes and black pepper to taste
- Crumbled feta, diced avocado, flaked toasted almonds, optional
- Finely chop parsley, mint, and green onions. Place into a bowl.2 cups Italian parsley, 1 cup fresh mint leaves, 2 green onions
- Add the remaining ingredients. Mix to combine. Season to taste. Serve0.5 cup cherry tomatoes, 0.5 cup hemp hearts, 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil, 3 tbsp lemon juice, Salt flakes and black pepper
- Place parsley, mint and spring onion into mixer; chop 5 sec/speed 7. Transfer to a bowl.2 cups Italian parsley, 1 cup fresh mint leaves, 2 green onions
- Add the remaining ingredients. Mix to combine. Season to taste. Serve.0.5 cup cherry tomatoes, 0.5 cup hemp hearts, 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil, 3 tbsp lemon juice, Salt flakes and black pepper