Low Carb Porridge
I just know you will love my keto porridge. This recipe has been an incredibly popular low carb oatmeal alternative and I know how many of you want more keto breakfast ideas without eggs!
This recipe was originally published in February 2019 and has been updated as of September 2021.
The perfect quick and easy keto breakfast that you can make in less than 10 minutes. With different variations, this low carb keto noatmeal is full of flavour, creamy and delicious.
This recipe is sugar-free, gluten-free, vegan and paleo-friendly (optional).
Learn how to make keto porridge in your Thermomix, microwave or on the stovetop.
Why We Love This Recipe
No eggs!! If you’re looking for a change from the variety of egg-based keto breakfasts, this is a great option for a low carb breakfast without eggs.
Versatile. There are so many keto-friendly ways to change the flavour, that you can have this over and over again and it could be different each time!
Basic keto pantry ingredients. All the ingredients are what you probably already have in your pantry, and with the substitute options available, this is a simple recipe to make.
Cook it your way. With stovetop, microwave and thermal cooker instructions, you can cook this whichever way you prefer.
Scroll to the bottom of this post for the amount of each ingredient needed to make our incredible keto porridge recipe.
- Coconut Flour. Now I know the idea of a coconut flour porridge recipe does not excite some of you, so I have included an almond meal option BUT let me say it doesn’t taste overly coconutty!
- Golden flax seed meal. For those of you with brown flax you can use that instead, but it will be more savoury and bitter. I love golden flax meal and use it in loads of recipes, so I think it is well worth buying some.
- Whey protein isolate. WPI adds extra protein to the porridge as well as creaminess. It can be substituted with micellar protein powder or skim milk powder.
- Almond milk, coconut milk, hemp mylk or macadamia milk. You choose whatever milk you want to use in your keto porridge.
Step By Step How to Make it
Step 1: Mix the dry ingredients together in a mixing bowl.
Step 2. Place all the noatmeal / keto porridge ingredients into a medium saucepan or microwave-save bow. Mix with keto milk of choice. Whisk the mixture on medium heat until it starts to thicken or heat in the microwave for 1-2 minutes until thickened to your liking. Alternatively, use 1/4 cup with 100-150ml of keto milk for an individual serving.
Step 3: Pour into individual bowls. Add cream and toppings or flavourings of choice and stir to combine.
Low Carb Porridge Variations
There are endless variations you can make with keto porridge, and here are just a few of my favourites.
- Vanilla Honey. Low Carb Emporium have a new low carb, no sugar honey that is pretty incredible. I mix this with a small number of vanilla seeds to make a tasty vanilla honey to drizzle over the top.
- Peanut Butter. Any nut butter will do, and this is one of my most favourite flavouring additions in porridges or in Chia Pudding.
- Chocolate. Mix through some unsweetened cocoa or cacao powder for a creamy chocolate porridge.
- Brown “sugar”. Add a teaspoon of Sukrin Gold sweetener, in granular or fibre syrup form, for that old fashioned brown sugar porridge taste.
- Berry. Whether you make a fresh berry porridge or use a sugar free jam, this makes for a very tasty porridge indeed. In the picture above I have added some Hawthorne Hill sugar free Blackberry Jam.
3 Ways to Make this Low Carb Oatmeal
- Stove top porridge. Simple, quick and easy, and all in one saucepan over low to moderate heat. Keep stirring until the porridge is thickened and to your liking.
- Microwave porridge. This is my favourite way to make this, as it is done in just 3 minutes!
- Thermomix® porridge. This is still an easy method, as it’s a set and forget cooking method that allows you to make a topping while the Thermomix® does all the work.
Hot Tips and FAQs
Porridge is usually grain-based, which doesn’t suit a keto diet. Low carb versions that do not include grains are a keto-friendly and gluten-free substitute for this popular breakfast!
Golden flaxseed is the milder flavoured option which is why I have recommended it in this and other recipes of mine. They also have fewer calories and fat and more protein than brown. You can substitute with the brown flaxseeds and if the nuttier flavour isn’t to your liking, increase the flavouring to compensate!
Keep the serves for the rest of the week in an airtight container in the fridge. Simply reheat a serving in the microwave for a minute, or on the stovetop on low heat.
Almond meal and hemp seeds are both good substitutes for coconut flour.
More Recipes to Try
Here are some of my favourite low carb breakfasts without eggs. The last two do have eggs in them as an ingredient, but you know what I mean! Most of us are looking for options other than eggs cooked in various ways, like many keto breakfast options seem to be!
What to Serve it With?
Here are just a few of my favourite recipes to serve with keto oatmeal.
- Easy Keto Milk
- Easy Keto Custard
- Keto Whipped Cream
- 2 Ingredient Keto Yogurt
- Keto Nutella Recipe
- Keto Dalgona Coffee
- And a kickass Strawberry compote (recipe to come)
Love our spectacular keto porridge recipe? Then please rate the recipe ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ and leave us a review to help others know that our keto oatmeal is a recipe worth trying.
Keto Porridge Recipe
- 2 tablespoons (2 tablespoons) coconut flour or 4 tbsp almond meal
- 3 tablespoons (3 tablespoons) golden flaxseed meal
- 3 tablespoons (2 tablespoons) whey protein isolate egg white protein or pea protein isolate
- 1.5 cups (1 1/2 cups) almond milk See Note 5 for options
- 1 teaspoon (1 teaspoon) vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon (1 teaspoon) ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon (1 teaspoon) sweetener Sukrin Gold would be perfect
- Place all ingredients into a small saucepan over medium heat and whisk until mixture begins to thicken. (It will take longer for almond meal than coconut flour. (To make an individual serve just add 1/4 cup of dry mix to 1/2 to 3/4 cup of milk of choice).
- Place all ingredients into a microwave-safe bowl. Heat 2 minutes on high. Whisk porridge. Heat for a further 1 minute. Whisk or stir before serving. (To make an individual serve just add 1/4 cup of dry mix to 1/2 to 3/4 cup of milk of choice).
- Pour into individual serving bowls. Serve with cream and/or toppings of choice.
- Mix all ingredients 5 sec/speed 4. Scrape down the sides of the bowl.
- Insert whisk attachment. Cook 9 min/80°C/speed 2.
- Pour into individual serving bowls. Serve with cream and toppings of choice.
- Wholesome Base: Combine almond flour, ground flaxseed, chia seeds, cinnamon, and a pinch of salt in a microwave-safe bowl. These nutrient-rich ingredients provide a hearty foundation for your keto porridge.
- Liquid Magic: Pour in the unsweetened almond milk and add vanilla extract. The almond milk brings creamy goodness, while a hint of vanilla enhances the flavor profile. Adjust sweetness to your liking with a keto-friendly sweetener.
- Microwave Mastery: Microwave the mixture on high for 1-2 minutes, stirring halfway through. This quick cooking method ensures your porridge is ready in a jiffy, perfect for busy mornings.
- Customization Galore: The beauty of this keto porridge lies in its versatility. Feel free to swap almond milk for coconut milk or any other low-carb milk alternative. Experiment with different flavors like cocoa powder or almond extract for a twist.
- Serving Perfection: Once your porridge reaches your desired consistency, it’s time to serve. Scoop it into a cozy bowl and get ready to indulge in comfort food minus the guilt.
- Topping Dreams: Elevate your keto porridge with an array of toppings. Chopped nuts like almonds or walnuts add crunch, while shredded coconut offers a tropical touch. For a burst of color and antioxidants, crown your porridge with a handful of berries.
- Any kind of plant-based milks can be used. Almond, Macadamia, Like Milk, Coconut Milk, Hemp Mylk. Alternatively, our Keto Milk recipe is perfect if you are not dairy-free or paleo.
- Adjust milk or cream to suit your preferred consistency of porridge.
- Reheat in microwave for 60 seconds on high, or over low heat on the stove.
- Stir through any of your favourite porridge “extras” once heated.
Your Own Notes
Megan Ellam is an Australian keto recipes blogger living in Thornton, NSW. She is the author of amazing keto cookbooks such as Slow Cook Keto, Keto Loco, The Healthy Family Keto Cookbook and Every Day Keto.
Megan has been following a ketogenic diet since being diagnosed with insulin resistance in early 2017. After a long cooking career Megan simply swapped her “foodie focus” to easy keto recipes. Her keto Australian recipes all include both metric and US customary measures so that everyone can enjoy them.
Megan also makes all the recipes suitable for conventional cooks, Thermomix recipes and thermal cookers e.g. Magimix recipes.
72 responses to “Easy Keto Porridge Recipe”
Great start to the day. Have made this a few times. Easy, no fuss and quick. A great on the go meal.
Thank you Megan!
Just made this. Amazing recipe. It tastes like ready brek!
I just added some 85% chocolate at the end. Yum!
This is the best keto porridge recipe! My entire family loved it, even my two year old! I will be making this a lot!
Pretty good! this was only 1 portion for me though lol, not 4
Although WPI is not readily available in any of my local supermarkets, once I got my hands on it and made it…yum! Perfect for cold, rainy mornings.
Absolutely love this porridge. Super easy to make in the Thermie.
What an amazing porridge! It turned out perfectly! The whole family loved it and I will make it again tomorrow! 🙂
I have been craving the comfort of a warm bowl of oatmeal/ cream of wheat, and this was perfect! I added a little monk fruit to sweeten it, poured a little half and half on the top to add to the creaminess and topped with a tablespoon of blueberries. So good!!
Hi Megan, i was wo dering where you can buy whey protein isolate and the brand you use. I’m starting keto and just discovered your website and love it!!
Rha k you foe your wonderful recipes and tips
Help….my porridge turned out lumpy and yuck. I did everything whisked it then next time whisked and stirred.was I supposed to use some sort of fancy whisk ..please help since on keto the hardest thing to stop was my porridge yep 365 days a year.im not in a breakfast rut I just love my porridge… Margaret
This porridge was delicious! I was really sick of eating eggs for breakfast every day.
Yum! I love finding low carb alternatives to my favorites! Thanks for sharing!
This porridge made for such a satisfying breakfast! It kept me full, and I just loved the creamy texture with a hint of cinnamon.
We have porridge a few days a week for breakfast. Will be trying this recipe soon!
Thank you so much for sharing this delicious and really tasty keto porridge recipe! So easy to make as well! Highly recommended! Will surely have this again!
This turned out so delicious! Our whole family loved it. Thanks for the recipe 🙂
As a scot I am shaking my head and trying not to weigh in with how oats are a healthy breakfast option but everyone has there own journey and it’s good you are offering a tasty alternative.
I love porridge and this recipe was truly outstanding! Thanks for sharing!
Okay wow I need this!! Porridge is one of my favourite things to make, so I know that this will be a huge hit at my house! Thanks so much for the recipe 🙂