What Do You Make Keto Onion Rings?
If you love onion ringsTraditional onion rings are a no-go on a ketogenic diet due to their carb-heavy breading. So, what’s the secret behind keto-friendly onion rings? It’s all about the clever swaps:
- Low-Carb Coating: We replace the high-carb flour with a mixture of almond flour and whey protein isolate. This creates a crispy, keto-friendly crust.
- Moderate Onions: Onions themselves contain carbs, but they can still fit into your keto meal plan when consumed in moderation. Plus, they provide that classic onion ring flavor!
- Keto-Friendly Frying: We’ll shallow fry these rings in a keto-approved oil like avocado or coconut oil for that perfect golden brown color.
How to Make Keto Air Fryer Onion Rings
Once you have crumbed all the onion rings. Place in a single layer in the air fryer basket. Don’t overcrowd them as you need to allow for air flow so the onion rings bake crispy.
Air fry at 200℃ for approximately 15 minutes, turning halfway. They are ready when they are golden and crispy.
Baked Healthy Onion Rings
Coat the onion rings in the low carb batter and coat in the crumbs.
Bake at 210℃ fan/230°C static/450°F for approximately 15-20 minutes, turning half way. Rings are ready when they are golden and crispy.
Keto Deep Fried Onion Rings
Once you have crumbed all the rings, fry in batches in hot oil. Remove once golden and drain on paper towel. Between batches scrape out any remaining crumbs.
Tips For Success
- Ensure your oil is hot enough before frying to achieve a crisp texture.
- Work in batches to avoid overcrowding the pan.
- Handle the onion rings gently to prevent the coating from falling off.
Variations of Onion Rings
- Cheesy Onion Rings: Add a sprinkle of grated Parmesan cheese to the coating mix for a cheesy twist.
- Spicy Onion Rings: Mix some cayenne pepper or chili powder into your coating mix for a spicy kick.
- Zucchini Rings: Swap out the onions for zucchini slices for a unique twist on this recipe.
What to Serve with Onion Rings
Serve these keto onion rings as a delightful appetizer, side dish, or snack. They’re perfect for dipping into keto-friendly sauces like sugar-free ketchup or homemade garlic aioli. Serve as a side with a Keto Burger, Big Mac Salad Bowl, Keto Pizza, or perfect with Cote de Boeuf.
Keto Onion Rings
- Preheat oven 210℃ fan/230°C static/450°F. (recipe is suitable for air fryer or to fry in hot oil). Line 2 large baking trays with baking paper.
- Peel onions and slice them into large rings. Push out the small centres and reserve for another recipe. Separate onion rings.
- In a medium bowl whisk together eggs and mustard.
- In a separate bowl mix the remaining ingredients.
- Coat onion rings in egg mix then dredge in crumb mixture. Place rings in a single layer on oven tray and spray with olive oil spray. Bake until crispy, approx. 15 minutes, turning at half time. Alternatively fry in hot oil.
Your Own Notes
26 responses to “Easy Keto Onion Rings”
Can you sub or remove the whey protein isolate?
I can’t wait to try this with the Special Sauce recipe. I don’t have or use “whey protein isolate” – is it critical to the success of the crumbs? Is there a substitute?
I’ve never heard of “Frank’s Hot Sauce” before, I have another hot sauce to use for now but that sounds like one for the pantry ☺
I love these Onion Rings so much. Thanks for creating this recipe. It’s treats like this that make me feel like I’m never missing out.
Oh yum! I adore onion rings, and there are a couple things about your recipe here that I just think set it so far apart! For one thing, it’s genius to mix the hot sauce into the egg mixture for that not-too-spicy hit of flavor. And, I love that you totally have ALL your readers’ backs – whether they like to whip up these types of recipes in the oven, or an air fryer, or all old-school in an oil fryer! 🙂
Growing up I HATED onions but it wasn’t until I tried my first onion ring did I fall in love with them. These look so good and I love that they are healthier!
These onion rings look soooo good! I should make them for my hubby, he will love them! Saving the recipe!
One of my good friend is on a Keto diet, and she is coming over later today to make these with me. We’re going to make them to go with your Mexican beef burgers! It’s going to be the BEST afternoon. 🙂 Thanks for a great recipe!
This onion rings recipe is making me hungry. These look delicious and mouthwatering.
They look so good! And now, even if we’re not keto, I want to make the keto onion rings so bad!
Your onion rings do look perfect, crispy and flavorful! I will try your recipe soon for sure.
I’ve tried so many different Onion Rings recipes before. This version of yours looks really yummy. I can’t stop myself from craving. I will definitely have this soon.
Nice. I used to eat onion rings all the time, but then I decided to try to be healthy. Normal onion rings go right out the window for a lifestyle like that. I guess I get to have them again!
The method for the conventional oven is the same as the air fryer