This delicious variation of our very popular Keto Vanilla Cake has had a bit of spin by cake queen Jacquie Kehoe with these Keto Lemon Meringue Cupcakes. How pretty are they!
I can see many of us enjoying this low carb cupcake recipe over Christmas and the holiday season when a great cake (a sneaky sugar free one) can be enjoyed by all our friends and family.
KETO LEMON MERINGUE CUPCAKES
When I created the Keto Vanilla Cake I sent the recipe out to a few people to come up with some different versions to show the versatility of this recipe. We had loads of great options created. It really is a great low carb cake recipe that can be used for any occasion. The original recipe also includes all the steps for a keto Thermomix® Vanilla Cake as well for all our thermo lovers.
Jacquie certainly took this cake to a whole level with by creating the meringue wreath. Teaming it with our Lemon Curd and Keto Pavlova recipe in this beautifully piped wreath is pretty sensational isn’t it!
LEMON MERINGUE CUPCAKE INGREDIENTS
50g light olive oil
50g powdered sweetener or to taste, I used Swerve
200g almond meal
4 large eggs
50g sour cream
1 teaspoon lemon juice & zest
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 batch Lemon Curd
3 egg whites, weight 120g
½ teaspoon cream of tartar
40g powdered sweetener, I used Swerve, 20g extra
¼ teaspoon xanthan gum
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1 teaspoon vinegar
KETO LEMON MERINGUE CUPCAKES HOT TIPS
Tips for meringue wreath:
Draw 10 x 6cm circles on a large baking sheet. Place pen side down onto tray
Spray baking sheet with oil and wipe excess off.
Put a dob of meringue in corners to stabilize the sheet.
Make sure there are no spaces in the meringue wreath. Pipe meringue in different styles in a round mini wreath making sure the meringue is touching as this will be lifted onto the top of the cupcakes.
Start piping with meringue with colouring completed wreaths before baking
BAKING QUEEN – JACQUI
Here is just a little from our guest contributer Jacquie.
Hi my name is Jacquie and I have changed to a Keto way of life six months ago and I have not looked back I have lost about 15kgs.
My friend Trish and I have recently started a Cake Decorating & Cake Supplies business in Geelong called Baking Bliss. We create all occasion cakes & cookies for weddings, birthdays & corporate.
We are in the process of opening a shop where we will be holding cake decorating classes which is very exciting, look out for further updates. Keto customers most welcome.
Contact us on 0422142852 and please like us on Facebook.
WANT MORE GREAT CAKE RECIPES?
We seem to love our keto sweets. Not sure how I ended up making so many but the demand is strong. Anyway here are just a few variations on the original Keto Vanilla Cake. All recipes are in conventional method as well as keto Thermomix cake recipes as well. The original Keto Thermomix Vanilla Cake is so popular as it is just so versatile. Here are some of my favourites so far.
- Keto Vanilla Cake
- Keto Carrot Cake
- Chocolate Bottom Cheesecake
- Snow Globe Cupcakes
- Peanut Butter Muffins
HUNGRY FOR MORE?
Don’t forget to link up with Mad Creations on social media so you never miss a recipe.
Keto Lemon Meringue Wreath Cupcakes
- 3 piping bags
- Yellow gel colour
- 3 piping tips – small open, 1M and star
- 3 (3) egg whites weight 120g
- ½ teaspoon (½ teaspoon) cream of tartar
- 40 g (1.41 oz) powdered sweetener I used Swerve, 20g extra
- ¼ teaspoon (¼ teaspoon) xanthan gum
- 1 teaspoon (1 teaspoon) lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon (1 teaspoon) vinegar
- 1 (1) batch Lemon Curd click for recipe
- 300 ml (1.27 cups) thickened cream whipped with extra 20g powdered sweetener.
- Preheat oven to 160. Line a cupcake tray with 10 cupcake cases.
- Mix all ingredients in a stand mixer until combined.
- Spoon into cupcake cases.
- Bake 15-20 minutes, or until cooked through. Cool on wire rack.
- Preheat oven to 100℃. Line 2 baking trays with grease proof paper wipe paper over with paper towel sprayed with oil.
- Wipe bowl of mixer and whisk with vinegar dry well.
- Whisk the egg whites and cream of tartar in a stand mixer until soft peaks form.
- Add sweetener 1 teaspoon at a time mixing well after each addition.
- Add in xanthan gum and lemon juice and mix well.
- On one tray draw 10/6cm circles on grease proof paper. Turn paper over.
- Place piping tips in bags and in one bag paint 4 stripes of yellow colour. Fill both bags with meringue.
- Place 1 dob of meringue under each corner to stabilize the paper.
- Pipe meringue in different styles in a round mini wreath making sure the meringue is touching as this will be lifted onto the top of the cupcakes.
- Pipe extra meringue on other baking tray in different sizes.
- Place meringue wreath and extra meringues into oven for 90 minutes or until meringue is crisp and dry.
- Turn off oven allow to cool with oven door closed until completely cooled.
- Preheat oven to 160. Line a cupcake tray with 10 cupcake cases.
- Place all ingredients into mixing bowl. Mix 1 min/speed 3. Follow from Step 3 above to bake cupcakes.
- Preheat oven to 100. Line 2 baking trays with grease proof paper wipe paper over with paper towel sprayed with oil.
- Wipe bowl of mixer and blade with vinegar dry well.
- Insert butterfly. Add egg whites and cream of tartar and mix 2.5 min/37℃/speed 4/MC off.
- Set Thermomix to 5 min/37℃/speed 3 and add sweetener 1 teaspoon at a time. Add in xanthan gum and lemon juice for rest of mixing time. Follow from step 6 above.
- Cut out a small hole in the middle of cupcakes and fill with prepared lemon curd.
- Place piping tip 1M into piping bag and fill with whipped cream. Pipe onto cupcakes.
- Place mini meringue wreath onto the top of cupcakes.
Store in an airtight container in the fridge.
Your Own Notes
12 responses to “Keto Lemon Meringue Cupcakes”
These look amazing. Why the xanthan gum? what does that do?
perfect recipe with the holidays coming up! great that the recipe is versatile too — good idea to enlist some testers!
You are so talented! What an incredible recipe that makes Keto lifestyle so manageable! Thanks so much for the recipe.
I remember when Keto first came out there didn’t seem to be a ton of options for dessert and NOW? It’s so awesome that there are so many. This Keto cupcake looks so delish! I am seriously going to be making these this weekend.
These look incredible! My brother is on Keto atm and I am looking forward to making these for him because he is missing sweet treats for sure.
These are absolutely stunning! I legit can’t believe they are keto. I love lemon desserts and I’m so going to try these!