Salted Caramel Keto Ice Cream Bars
This recipe is sponsored by Atkins Australia.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
These keto ice cream bars are made extra creamy and scoopable with the use of vanilla shake mix protein powder.
This chocolate caramel ice cream bar is low in carbs and keto-friendly. Unlike many regular ice cream recipes this is keto ice cream without xanthan gum. I have a secret ingredient that always makes my ice cream recipes creamy and soft enough to scoop and that is gelatin.
Keto friendly – if you are following a keto diet this recipe is low carb keto with no added sugar and only 2 grams net carbs per serve.
No churn – no churn ice cream is always good but no churn keto ice cream is even better. No ice cream maker needed. Make your own keto ice cream pints, bars, or ice cream cakes using this very simple keto recipe.
Scroll to the bottom of this post for the quantity of each ingredient used in our low carb ice cream bars recipe.
Cream – I use thickened cream. For other countries, this is usually a heavy or whipping cream. For a dairy-free keto ice cream use coconut cream, almond milk, coconut milk, or macadamia milk. Using any nut or seed milks will make the ice cream firmer.
Sweetener – I only recommend xylitol or allulose when making keto ice cream. Neither of these sweeteners recrystallise like monk fruit, erythritol and stevia-based sweeteners do. Some of you might find some luck with a monk fruit extract or chicory root fiber syrup, but I have not tested it. You would need to sweeten to taste and start with only the smallest amount to begin with. (Note: monk fruit extract is different than what you find in the supermarket). Be mindful when using xylitol if you have a dog as it is toxic to our four-legged family members. If you are not following a low carb diet then you can just use sugar in this recipe.
Eggs – I always use large, fresh free-range eggs at room temperature. Room temperature eggs do not give you eggy tasting results. This is a whole egg ice cream.
Gelatin – I use gelatin in all my ice cream recipes as it really helps keep them soft and creamy.
Vanilla Protein Powder – for my ice cream I have been using Atkins Protein Shake Mix. You can use any of your favourite brands of preferred gluten free protein or collagen powder.
Salt flakes – salt flakes are used in ice cream making as it lowers the freezing and melting point of water. It aids in a cohesive frozen mixture of water and fat solids.
All the ingredients needed to make our keto salted caramel sauce are also found in the recipe card below.
Atkins Caramel Chocolate Nut Rolls – available in most supermarkets using a candy bar to make a caramel sauce is genius! It is so easy!
Chocolate – I add a little extra chocolate to the mixture to make it more fudgy. This can be left out if you prefer.
How To Make Homemade Keto Magnums
Step 1. Combine the ice cream ingredients into a large heat-safe bowl.
Step 2. Bring a saucepan, half-filled with water, to a gentle simmer. Continue to whisk until the sweetener is no longer grainy (4-7 minutes) and the mixture coats the back of a spoon. Remove from the heat.
Step 3. Pour the mixture into a thin layer in a large shallow container and freeze it flat for 8 hours or overnight.
Step 4. Cut the ice cream into small chunks, work in batches, and pulse in a food processor or blender until smooth. While the ice cream is blending make the caramel sauce. Swirl half of the salted caramel sauce through the ice cream.
Step 5. Spoon into popsicle moulds. Freeze at least a further 3 hours or until set.
Step 6. Coat in extra warm caramel sauce and coat in the melted chocolate if you are using it.
FAQs and Hot Tips
Leave it on the bench until it is soft enough to chop. Place pieces of the ice cream into a blender and blend to break any ice crystals formed. This will make a soft serve protein ice cream that can be served immediately. The process of blending should also help to soften it when it is refrozen too.
Absolutely! Any plain or flavoured collagen powders make great ice cream. I make a great collagen ice cream in our Keto Chocolate Ice Cream recipe.
Just add more cream and heat it a little. If you heat gently and stir you will be able to adjust the consistency to your liking.
You can buy keto ice cream bars at Costco, Coles, Woolworths, Walmart, and so many other places. To be honest these sugar free keto ice cream bars right here are the BEST keto ice cream bars I have tried. Make them and compare yourself. They work out cheaper and taste so much better. Plus you can flavour them just how you like it and control what goes into them.
Keto Popsicles Flavour Variations
These homemade caramel ice cream bars can be flavoured with any of your favourite flavours.
Keto Coffee Ice Cream Bars – Add 2 teaspoons of freeze-dried coffee to the ice cream mixture when cooking.
Peanut Butter Keto Ice Cream – Add 2-3 tablespoons of smooth or crunchy peanut butter to the ice cream mixture when cooking.
Flavoured extracts. I add about half a teaspoon before I cook the custard then I taste and add more if I think it needs it.
Coat the ice creams in melted chocolate, keto jams, rolls in a little toasted coconut or nuts. The options really are endless.
More Recipes To Try
Many of us love low carb and keto desserts. Here are just a few of my favourite recipes to try after you have made our homemade caramel ice cream bars.
I hope you love our keto salted caramel ice cream bars recipe as much as I do! If you do, then please rate the recipe ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ and leave a review to help others know that this is a recipe worth trying.
Watch Me Make It
Salted Caramel Keto Ice Cream Bars
KETO CHOCOLATE MAGIC SHELL
- Place all the ingredients into a large heat-safe bowl. Whisk until combined. Bring a saucepan half filled with water to a gentle simmer. Continue to whisk until the sweetener is no longer grainy (4-7 minutes) and the custard coats the back of a spoon. Remove from the heat.
- Pour the mixture into a thin layer in a large shallow container and freeze it flat for 8 hours or overnight.
- Cut the ice cream into small chunks, work in batches, and pulse in a food processor or blender until smooth.
- The popsicles in my images and video are swirled with half of the caramel fudge. Swirl it through now before spooning into popsicle moulds. Freeze at least a further 3 hours or until set.
HOW TO MAKE KETO CARAMEL SAUCE & SERVE
- Place the caramel nut bars, chocolate, and cream into a heat-safe bowl. Heat in the microwave on high for 45-60 seconds. Stir to combine. The caramel should be smooth (and nutty). Heat a little longer if the bars are still chunky.
- Add the vanilla extract and salt flakes; stir until combined.
- To make the keto chocolate magic shell; place the chocolate and MCT oil in a heat-safe bowl. Heat in the microwave in short bursts of 30 seconds until smooth. Some chocolate reacts differently in the microwave. Once melted coat a popsicle in some warm caramel fudge sauce and then spoon over the chocolate. Place onto a paper-lined tray and place into the freezer until set. Store in an airtight container or ziplock bag in the freezer.
- Insert whisk attachment. Add all ingredients to the mixer.; mix 10 sec/speed 4.
- Cook 9 min/90°C/speed 2. Pour the mixture into a thin layer in a large shallow container and freeze it flat for 8 hours or overnight.
- Cut the ice cream into small chunks, work in batches, and mix for 1 min/speed 7. Scrape and repeat until smooth.
- The popsicles in my images and video are swirled with half of the caramel fudge. Swirl it through now before spooning into popsicle moulds. Freeze at least a further 3 hours or until set. Follow the above method for the caramel and chocolate (I find this much easier to monitor using a microwave).