Keto French Silk Pie (the BEST Chocolate Pie)
What the hell is a keto French Silk Pie? For many Aussies style of chocolate pie may be completely unknown. But trust me, you are all going to love it.
A reasonably simple keto dessert recipe that delivers. The filling is smooth, light, and delicious.
Why is it called French Silk Pie?
The French Silk Pie was developed back in the early 50’s. It is named as such due to its smooth-as-silk filling.
Somewhere between a pudding and a mousse it is delicious light.
French Silk Pie Ingredients
Here is all you need to make a fabulous keto French silk pie. You will need to pre-bake our fabulous Keto Chocolate Pie Crust Pastry. Plus you will need cream, eggs, powdered sweetener, dark chocolate, vanilla extract, coffee and butter.
For a 100% sugar-free keto chocolate pie use Well Naturally Dark Chocolate or any other sugar-free chocolate brand.
How to make it
I have included both a conventional method and also how to make Thermomix chocolate silk pie (for our thermi lovers).
- Firstly prepare and pre-bake the Keto Chocolate Pie Crust Pastry using this link will take you to all the steps on how to make this “very delicious” keto pastry.
- This keto chocolate silk pie recipe does include a method where the eggs are heated and cooked. While I have no issue using raw pasteurised I have created the recipe with cooked eggs.
- Depending on which method you use (some steps are before others). Beat/whip the cream until thick and stiff peaks form.
- In a double boiler or Thermomix heat the eggs and sweetener, whisking or mixing until smooth. Add in the chocolate, vanilla and coffee.
In a separate bowl beat remaining sweetener and butter until pale and creamy.
- Gently combine/fold all ingredients together and pour into pre-baked pie shell.
- Refrigerate until set (2-3 hours). Top with whipped cream and grated chocolate and serve.
Hot Tips for the Best Chocolate Pie
Who would ever know this is a keto chocolate pie? Honestly the keto pastry is amazing and so is the filling. Anyway, here are just a few tips to consider when making this pie and storing it.
- Can the pie be frozen? Yes it can. I prefer to freeze without the whipped cream on top. The pie can be easily defrosted in the fridge or eaten straight from frozen. To keep it is in the best possible condition ensure it is in an airtight bag or container. Oh! And slice into individual serves if freezing.
- How long will take to set? Usually it will take 2-3 hours.
- How long will it last in the fridge? I would not keep it longer than 5 days. It freezes well so store it there.
- The heated chocolate and egg mixture must be cooled before adding to the cream and butter to avoid curdling and changing the texture of the pie.
- Can I make this recipe a couple days ahead? See point 3. I would keep the pie no longer than 5 days in the fridge so you can make it at least a few days ahead. I would recommend whipping the cream topping on the day of serving.
- Can I make this without heating the eggs? Absolutely! Pasteurised eggs are safe. Simply whisk the eggs into the melted chocolate with the sweetener, vanilla and coffee and that will cook them enough anyway.
- Can I do this dairy free? Yes! I cannot see any reason why the cream cannot be swapped with whipped coconut cream. The butter can be replaced with Nuttelex. Chocolate can of course be replaced with Little Zebra or similar.
Want More great keto Dessert Recipes?
I totally have you covered. Here are just a few of my most popular recipes. I hope you have loved my low carb French Silk Pie and give it a 👍rating below the recipe card.
- Sugar Free Pavlova
- Keto Vanilla Cake
- Keto Creme Caramel
- Baked Mascarpone Cheesecake
- Keto Juniors Layered Lamington Cheesecake
JOIN OUR THRIVING KETO COMMUNITY
So you found yourself here through Instagram. We have such a great keto community on multiple social platforms and resources.
To learn more about the keto diet or find like minded people asking the same questions about how to start the keto diet, join our Beginners Group. Alternatively, start with our Macro Calculator or Getting Started tab.
Learn from one another, laugh and cry (hopefully none of that 😂) and be there for mutual keto support for one another.
Keto French Silk Pie (Chocolate Pie)
OPTIONAL ALTERNATIVE TO COFFEE
- 1 tablespoon any Locako Collagen Creamers
- Prepare and bake Chocolate Pie Crust as per recipe instructions.
- In a small saucepan, over a double boiler, whisk together the eggs and half of the sweetener. Set over medium-low heat and cook, whisking constantly, until the mixture coats the back of a spoon. Remove from heat and stir in the melted chocolate, vanilla and coffee. Set aside and allow to completely cool. (See Note 5)
- Using an electric mixer, beat the butter and remaining sweetener until pale and fluffy. Gradually add the chocolate mixture and beat on high speed until thick and creamy (about 5 minutes).
- In a separate bowl beat the cream until stiff peaks form. Fold into the chocolate mixture. Pour into the pie shell. Chill for 4-5 hours.
- Using an electric mixer beat the cream and vanilla on high speed until stiff peaks form. Top pie with whipped cream and garnish with grated chocolate.
- Prepare and bake Chocolate Pie Crust as per recipe instructions.
- Insert butterfly. Pour cream into mixer. Whip speed 3 until stiff (approx. 90 seconds). Transfer to a large bowl and reserve.
- Into a clean bowl place chocolate into mixer bowl, chop 10 sec/speed 9.
- Insert butterfly. Add eggs, half of the sweetener, vanilla extract and coffee to chocolate. Mix 5 min/90℃/speed 4. Pour into a bowl and allow to completely cool before adding in the remaining ingredients. (See Note 5)
- Place the butter and remaining sweetener into mixer bowl and mix for 10 sec/speed 5. Scrape down the sides of the bowl.
- Insert Butterfly. Set Thermomix® to 1 min/speed 4/MC off. Slowly pour cooled chocolate mixture into mixer.
- Gently fold chocolate mixture into reserved thickened cream. Pour into pie shell. (mixture is very runny). Chill for 4-5 hours or until set.
- After pie has chilled. Whip cream for topping. Insert butterfly. Add cream and vanilla and whip cream until thick speed 3/MC off. Just watch through lid and turn off once thickened. Spoon cream onto the pie and garnish with shaved chocolate. Serve.
- Coffee can be replaced with 1-2 teaspoons coffee extract. Just add to personal taste. Alternatively mix 1-2 tablespoons of instant coffee in 1-2 tablespoons of boiling water and then add to pie mixture. If you do not like coffee, you can leave out and/or add any extract of choice e.g. orange or rum extract.
- Cream can be replaced with coconut cream. Simply whip it first to thicken before adding it in.
- The pie will keep in the fridge for up to 3 days.
- Cut into individual serves and freeze for a ready to go tasty treat.
- Sweetener can be reduced if preferred. If using Well Naturally Chocolate this is much sweeter than Lindt 95% so reduce sweetener to taste.
- Ensure the chocolate mixture is cool before adding it to the cream and butter as it could curdle and will result in an entirely different texture of pie.