So this Dalgona Coffee craze seems to have ignited over the past week and my feed has been filled with it. So instead of ignoring it, this morning I had to have a go at making a keto Dalgona coffee.
First go and it worked and had stick fluffy coffee in just 1 minute using a hand mixer.
What is Dalgona Coffee
Dalgona Coffee, or whipped coffee seems to have originated in South Korea. Named after Dalgona, honeycomb or sponge toffee, it is very sweet and made with just 3 ingredients.
It super easy to make and could be used in so many ways.
I of course had to make a sugar free Dalgona coffee as I obviously follow the keto diet.
First go with some Sukrin:1 it worked. So then the real testing begun. Could this actually work with espresso coffee, or how about creamers? Let the fun begin!
Basic ingredients for Keto Dalgona Coffee
So there is just 3 ingredients, so let’s keep it simple right. The ingredients are instant coffee, sweetener, and boiling water. Yep it is that easy!
How to make keto whipped coffee (Megan style)
I hope you are ready for this and watch all the steps intently. 😂 This recipe is pretty complex. 😳🤣
- Boil some water
- Into a small but deep bowl add all 3 ingredients. Stir to combine.
- Whip using a hand mixer (so much faster) or whisk until the mixture is thick and fluffy. With my Breville Hand Mixer it took me just 2.5 minutes to achieve a very thick “mousse”.
4. Serve it on a glass of cold Keto Milk and then stir through. Eating it off the spoon is perfectly acceptable too.
Watch how easy it is to make it
Hot Tips and FAQs
- Can I use espresso or drip coffee? I tried it with espresso and it was a big fail. Drip coffee I have seen by other bloggers and it seems a lot of fussing around (with filtering) for still a lacklustre result. So use the instant coffee.
- What sweeteners can I use? Try any powdered or granulated sweetener that you prefer. I tested several sweeteners and they all pretty much worked fine, but allulose held together the longest.
- How long does the keto Dalgona coffee stay fluffy? I find that it does not hold its “thickness” as long as a sugared style would. It is less thick and “meringue-like” than the original. Best to consume at the time of making it.
- Can I use a syrup sweetener? I have no idea as I have not tested this. If you try it and it works let me know.
- Can I leave out the sweetener? Sadly no. This will not work without it. It is the reaction of all 3 ingredients that makes the Dalgona coffee work.
- How else can I use the Dalgona Coffee? I am glad you asked. Serve the foam on top of a keto mug cake, stir through thickened cream or through a keto cheesecake mixture. Alternatively any leftovers can be poured into an ice cube tray and frozen. Use the ice cubes in your next iced coffee.
- Can I have this on the Egg Fast Meal Plan? Um Yes you can! Add it into the Salted Caramel Egg Fast Shake (instead of the salted caramel).
- Can I make the Dalgona coffee in a Thermomix? Double the recipe and use the butterfly. Mix 3 min/speed 4.
Join our Keto Tribe of Coolness!
If you love hanging out with super cool humans than join us on social media. Every day we are sharing great keto recipes, benefits of the keto diet and awesome blog posts to fill your brain up with the good stuff.
Our Facebook Groups are filled with pretty awesome folk who love keto and we don’t have too much bullshit and spamming going on. (A refreshing change I know).
So come and hang out with us in any of the below and share your fave Mad Creations with us!
Facebook Beginners Group | Pinterest | Facebook | 365 | Instagram
Keto Dalgona Coffee – Whipped Coffee
- 2 tablespoons instant coffee instant or granulated
- 2 tablespoons sweetener See Note 2
- 2 tablespoons boiling water
- 1 cup Keto Milk (click link for recipe) or dairy free milk of choice
- Place all ingredients into a small, but deep bowl. Using a hand mixer or whisk whip the mixture until thick and pale. With my hand mixer this only took 2.5 minutes to achieve a thick mix.
- Note: Double the recipe if using the Thermomix®.
- Insert Butterfly. Place all ingredient into mixer bowl. Mix 3 min/speed 4.
- I used dried instant coffee granules. I tested powdered coffee sachets and it did not work.
- I used monk fruit sweetener and also tested Sukrin:1, allulose and Sukrin Melis. Allulose seemingly holding better than the other 3.
- Sugar free Dalgona is best consumed immediately.
I keep seeing this Dalgona thing everywhere, I SO need to try it as both my husband and I are huge coffee lovers. It’s great to know you can also get the perfect texture without using sugar!
It’s unreal how this craze has kicked off! Great to see a keto version – my wife will love these. That is when I make them for her 😉
I am not a huge coffee drinker, in fact I probably have two coffees a year! But this recipe and those beautiful photos have me reaching for the coffee jar right now!
Ok, wow. I normally only drink my coffee black, but I kept seeing these tempting glasses all over the web. Decided to give it a go.
I used Sukrin Gold and a hand blender with the whisk attachment. I don’t think it took a full minute to turn into a firm foam. (I checked the leftovers just now, and after 30 min it’s still firm.) Mixed it with regular milk and it was like a yummy coffee milkshake.
Woohoo! So glad you gave it a whirl Andreas. Like you I am black coffee drinker. But I have to admit I have not tried it with the Sukrin Gold yet so I will do that one next. Thanks for leaving such a great review and taking the time xx
I just made this withSukrin Gold because it was the only powered sweetener I had, in thermomix 3 mins speed 4. Fabulous
Awesome! So glad you enjoyed it Carlene x and thanks for taking the time and leaving a review.
Wow this is incredible!!! Best iced coffee I have ever had. Will definitely be making this again 😋
Deliciously different way to have coffee, so easy to make
Not really a coffee connoisseur but I drank the whole thing!!
Love it! Very easy to make. A big hit with the family too!
This is pure madness! And oh so delicious 😁