Why You Will Love this Recipe
Versatile – the custard can be flavoured in so many ways! Add any extracts, cacao, zest etc. Add 40g melted chocolate for a tasty chocolate pie, or even fold through some Sugar Free Lemon Curd for an amazing keto lemon pie.
Low carb – a whole piece of keto custard tart has less than 1g net carbs per serve.
Quick and easy – so simple to make. Fill and bake or even no bake keto custard pie.
Scroll to the bottom of this post for the amount of each ingredient needed to make my healthy custard tart recipe.
- Thickened cream – or heavy cream. For a dairy free keto custard tart swap the cream for peanut milk, coconut cream, almond milk, hemp mylk or your favourite keto milk.
- Powdered Erythritol – I use Lakanto Powdered Sweetener. It is zero calorie and zero carb.
- Gelatin – I use Locako pasture-fed gelatin but it is completely up to you what you use. The gelatin can also be omitted if preferred it does help with setting the custard.
- Vanilla – add vanilla extract or any of your favourite extracts. I also love citrus or coffee extract in the pie crust as well.
- Nutmeg – I always freshly grate the nutmeg as it is crazy-good!
Step by Step Instructions
STEP 1. Add the cream and vanilla to a small saucepan. Whisk over medium heat until it reaches a low simmer. Remove from the heat.
If making with a Thermomix. Place all the keto custard ingredients into the mixer; mix 7 sec/speed 5. Store in an airtight jar in the fridge for up to 1 week.
STEP 2. In a separate bowl whisk together sweetener, gelatin and egg yolks.
STEP 3. Pour half of the warmed cream into the eggs and whisk to combine then pour back into the remaining cream in the saucepan.
Cook whisking over the heat until the custard thickens and coats the back of a spoon. Remove from heat and allow to cool for 10 minutes.
STEP 4. Preheat the oven to 160°C fan/180°C static/350°F. Pour the cooled custard into the prebaked almond flour pie crust. Transfer to the oven and bake for 10-12 minutes or custard is beginning to set. *SEE NOTES
Sprinkle the egg custard tart with finely grated nutmeg. Leave to cool at room temperature for 20 minutes then loosely cover with clingfilm and refrigerate for 3 hours or until set. The
Hot Tips and FAQs
You can use whole eggs if preferred. Using egg yolks creates a creamier custard.
After making the custard leave it to rest at room temperature for 1 hour. Pour into the prebaked keto pie crust and refrigerate overnight. The custard will set without baking.
Store in the fridge for up to 5 days in an airtight container. Do not freeze as the custard can split.
I add the gelatin as I like the extra stability it adds to the custard tart. You can leave it out if you prefer.
More Recipes to Try
- Keto Lemon Meringue Pie what is better than a keto lemon meringue pie? Using our famous keto lemon curd this recipe is amazing!
- Keto Almond Flour Pie Crust – our newest and simplest keto pastry. It is the best keto shortbread pastry recipe you will try. Made with almond flour and coconut flour it is perfect for any keto tart recipe.
- Easy Keto Pie Crust Pastry this recipe is a great keto pastry. Originally featured in our cookbook The Healthy Family Keto Cookbook and also featured on the Thermomix Cookidoo.
- Keto Chocolate Pudding this amazing keto pudding recipe is chocolatey goodness. Family-friendly and seriously delicious!
- Easy Keto Custard – our most popular sugar-free classic recipe. This keto friendly custard is simple and delicious!
For our Thermomix-lovers all these recipes are also Thermomix-friendly recipes and keto-friendly recipes too.
Keto Custard Tart
- Add cream and vanilla to a small saucepan. Whisk over medium high heat until it reaches a low simmer. Remove from the heat.
- In a separate bowl whisk together sweetener, gelatin and egg yolks. Pour half of the warmed cream into the eggs and whisk to combine then pour back into the remaining cream in the saucepan. Cook whisking over the heat until the custard thickens and coats the back of a spoon. Remove from heat and allow to cool for 10 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 160°C fan/180°C static/350°F.
- Pour the cooled custard into the prebaked almond flour pie crust. Transfer to the oven and bake for 10-12 minutes or custard is beginning to set. *SEE NOTES
- Sprinkle with finely grated nutmeg. Leave to cool at room temperature for 20 minutes then loosely cover with clingfilm and refrigerate for 3 hours or until set.
- Insert whisk attachment. Add the cream, vanilla, sweetener, gelatin, and egg yolks to mixer; cook 9 min/90°C/speed 3. Leave to cool for 10 minutes. Follow from step 3 above.
Your Own Notes
62 responses to “Keto Custard Tart”
This was so delicious and tasted just as good as a normal
I have made this custard tart more than 1/2 dozen times in the last three months because we LOVE eating it so much! If you like traditional custard tarts from the bakery then you will relish eating this for only 2gms of carb per generous slice. I have made it baked and chilled overnight in the fridge and we can’t decide which is better. Don’t leave out the fresh shaved nutmeg.
Today I have doubled the pastry for the base and used the standard recipe for the filling. Works well if you’re greedy like us and don’t want a 20cm round one. I have used a fluted 30 x 20cm pan a few times now and its always good and I’ve not had a fail with this easy recipe. Thanks Megan you really are the best recipe creator and we love love love your version of so many old favourites. 10/10. Cheers Tracy Australia
Can I sub lactose free cream ? have a little one who is lactose intolerant.
I made this custard tart today and am so happy with the finished tart. Looks beautiful and I have enjoyed making this from scratch. I did use my thermomix and it made the custard so easily. I did add another 2 minutes for cooking time and it does look wobbly, will transfer to the fridge in 20 minutes to set. Cannot wait to dig in and try this beauty. Thanks again Megan for another fantastic recipe.
Everybody should give this custard tart a try, whether following the keto diet or not! It’s so delicious and simple to make. The flavor definitely does not disappoint!
Lol at “I hate baked custard.” 😆 Well I loved this recipe! The result was SO good, thank you!
This was so, so tasty! It was a huge hit with my family. And so easy!
The crust was perfect and the filling was so easy to make and very smooth. I couldn’t believe this whole thing was keto friendly!
This is so perfect for the holidays!! I am definitely giving this a go soon, thank you so much for the recipe 😉
This is so delicious and I love how it’s keto friendly too! Perfect dessert anytime and will make again and again, thanks!
I cannot get over how great this recipe is! This is the perfect, low-carb dessert!