Keto Crispy Chicken Wings
These Keto Crispy Chicken Wings are some seriously crispy and damn delicious wings!
Crispy wings tossed in a sticky flavoursome sauce is my kind of meal. You can give me bonus points for a cheap and easy meal too.
Read on for a few great pointers on how to get the best wings you have eaten.
Keto Crispy Chicken Wings
These wings are baked not fried. You will be surprised to know it is not flour or frying that gives you the glassiest, crispiest chicken wings.
The secret ingredient is baking powder and salt. Yep that stuff that is in just about every household the world over. I use the aluminium free variety, preferably Bobs Red Mill Brand, which is also a double acting baking flour.
Why does baking powder and salt make chicken skin crispy? When chicken is coated in the mix it dries out the skin, land when baked leaves the skin super crisp and crunchy. Apparently the baking powder raises the pH level in the chicken which helps make it crispy.
Trust me this is the BEST baked crispy chicken wing recipe!
Aside from the magical baking powder ingredient here is my list of the very best seasonings for finger licking chicken. haha!
Its as easy as 1-2-3.
- Garlic Powder
- Onion Salt – rather than regular salt I use onion salt. It adds flavour and helps dry the chicken skin out.
- Chinese five-spice. Seriously I used to hat this stuff. I have no idea why. With chicken or pork this stuff is perfecto! Truly! It adds a subtle Asian flavour and makes chicken taste amaze balls.
Oh Hang On! What is the Best Sauce for Chicken Wings?
This is my very favourite sticky sauce… like EVER! Make it just as it is and you come back and comment below what you really think.
Just check out that perfect keto glaze on the wings below.
Just to answer a possible couple of substitution questions before you ask the, The coconut aminos can be swapped for gluten free tamari, or gluten free soy.
And, the sweetener can be any granular sweetener you prefer.
Sticky Chicken Wing Sides
Great keto sticky wings need some equally fabulous low carb sides. Here are a few delicious recipes from our friends as well as couple of our own.
- Easy Lemon Gremolata | Simple Keto
- Char-Grilled Zucchini Salad
- Blue Cheese Dip for Everything
- Smoky Ranch Chicken Salad – Keto | LCHF | Low Carb
- Bacon Ranch Dressing and Dip
CONNECT WITH MAD CREATIONS
Don’t forget to link up with Mad Creations on social media so you never miss a recipe.
Keto Crispy Chicken Wings – Sweet and Spicy
- 1 kg chicken wings
- 2 tablespoons aluminium-free baking powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion salt
- ½ teaspoon Chinese five-spice
SWEET AND SPICY SAUCE
- 2 teaspoons sesame seeds
- 1 tablespoons green onion thinly sliced
- 1 long red chilli thinly sliced
- Preheat oven to 220℃. Line a large baking tray with baking paper.
- Cut each wing at the joints, discarding tips (or use for broth). Combine baking powder, garlic powder, onion salt, and five-spice in a bag or large bowl. Toss chicken wings in seasoning to evenly coat.
- Place a single layer of wings onto prepared baking tray. Bake 50-60 minutes, turning half way, or until wings are golden and crispy.
- Meanwhile prepare sauce. Place sauce ingredients into a saucepan over medium high heat. Cook stirring until sauce reduces and becomes thick.
- Toss wings in sauce and serve with a sprinkle of green onions and red chilli slices.
2. Shaoxing wine can be found in the Asian aisle in the supermarket.
3. Sugar free apricot jam is available from low carb specialty store, otherwise substitute sweetener or 4 blackberries.
4. Coconut aminos can be substituted with gluten free tamari or sauce sauce.
Want more recipes for the keto diet? Check out our store packed full of keto cookbooks. Check out our cookbooks