Why We Love This Recipe
I have always been a coleslaw fan. Since a young kid I ate my body weight in cole slaw, I swear! This keto slaw is incredible. So easy, tangy and delicious!
A popular keto side recipe that is so versatile. Read on for some great variations and great keto dinners or lunches to enjoy it with. I love it served with my keto fish cakes, on keto wraps, and it teams up perfectly with my sous vide wagyu steak.
Versatile – keto slaw is not only a great side for barbecue meats, but it is great on a keto sandwich, lunchbox filler, or even throw the leftovers into a baked dish like our cauliflower mac and cheese.
Low carb – keto coleslaw is low in carbs. By using less high carb vegetables like carrot and a no-sugar keto mayonnaise it keeps the coleslaw carbs way down.
Everyday ingredients – Made with everyday ingredients found in most supermarkets. I am always getting asked to create more keto recipes using supermarket ingredients.
Quick and easy – ready in less than 10 minutes! So easy to make!
Thermomix friendly – making coleslaw in the Thermomix, Magimix or food processor is super easy.
Keep reading for more details on the ingredients, substitutes and step by step instructions on how to make your own cole slaw and keto coleslaw dressing.
Scroll to the bottom of this post for the amount of each ingredient needed to make these insanely good keto tortillas.
Dry slaw mix. I have just used the dry slaw mix in the recipe so that you can choose your own vegetables to make your slaw with. I have no issue with a bit of carrot but it is completely up to you.
Mayonnaise. I use my own recipe and make my own keto mayonnaise. It is simple and has no sweetener or additives. Most store-bought coleslaw has sweetened coleslaw dressing in it.
Pickle juice. I use a sugar-free pickle juice for a tangy coleslaw without sugar. I love the extra bit of tang it adds to the dressing. You can use any vinegar or citrus juice if preferred in your keto coleslaw dressing.
Celery Salt. This stuff is magic in lots of recipes. It adds a delicious flavour and a good bit of saltiness to the dressing.
Step by Step Instructions
Step 1. Add the slaw mix to a large bowl. Mix the keto coleslaw dressing in a small bowl until combined.
Step 2. Spoon the dressing into the bowl and mix to combine.
How to Make Coleslaw in the Thermomix
Making Thermomix coleslaw is super easy. There is no need to buy pre-shredded veg if you do not want to.
Simple cut the cabbage or any vegetables you are using into chunks and place them into the mixer.
Add all the coleslaw dressing ingredients to the Thermomix at the same time and mix 2-4 sec/speed 4. I like mine a little chunky so I only do 2 seconds usually. There is no need to make the coleslaw dressing in the Thermomix separately.
As a side note sign up for our Newsletter for a new free Thermolove eBook with 10 keto recipes for your Thermomix
Hot Tips and FAQs
A store-bought coleslaw can have around 15g of carbs per 100g. A low carb coleslaw has approximately 3-5g depending on the low carb vegetables chosen.
Store-bought is not but this sugar-free coleslaw recipe absolutely is!
You can sweeten the coleslaw dressing if you wish. A tablespoon of our keto condensed milk or a small amount of keto sweetener would be great.
I prefer to use slaw that is dressed on the same day. Alternatively, keep the coleslaw dressing and dry mix separate for up to 3 days and just mix as needed.
More Keto Recipes to Try
I know you are all after more keto side dish recipes and I will be doing my absolute best to create lots for you. Here are just a few of my faves to help you out in the meantime.
What to Serve with Keto Slaw
Just in case you are at a loss what to serve coleslaw with here are just a few of my favourite keto dinner recipes.
- Keto Popcorn Chicken cooked 2 ways
- The Best Keto Burger | Low Carb Big Mac
- Keto Okonomiyaki with Bacon Lardons
- Keto Fish Burger
- Keto Salmon Patties | Air fryer
- Lemon Pepper Wings | Easy Air Fry
- Easy Delicious Keto Fish Tacos
Love our keto cole slaw recipe? If you think they are worthy, rate the recipe ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ and leave us a review to help others know that this is a recipe worth trying.
Get all the new recipes as soon as they are published when you subscribe to our newsletter. Join our keto community on Facebook, Instagram or see all the new stuff on Pinterest.
- Bowl and spoon
- 2 cups shredded coleslaw mix (140g) see notes
- 0.25 cups mayonnaise or Ranch Dressing
- 2 tablespoons pickle juice or apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon celery salt or Ranch Seasoning
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Place the coleslaw mixture into a large bowl and set aside. (If using whole vegetables, shred or grate them and place into a large bowl).
- In a small bowl combine the remaining ingredients. Add them to the shredded vegetables and store to combine completely in the dressing. serve.
- Place the coleslaw mixture into a large bowl and set aside. Place the remaining ingredients into the mixer; mix 2 sec/speed 3. Combine the dressing with the slaw. Serve.
- Method 2. If using whole vegetables, chop the vegetables into smaller chunks and place into the mixer. Add all the dressing ingredients; chop 3 sec/speed 4). Serve.
- There are some handy premade dry coleslaw mixes available these days. Many with only a little of the higher carb vegetables like carrots. I love slaw made with broccoli stem or kohlrabi, but the choice is inevitably yours.
- A slaw can be made with any thinly sliced or shredded vegetables.
- Store-bought mayonnaise can be used, or you can easily make your own keto-friendly mayonnaise at home with our recipe. I also love Ranch Dressing in lieu of mayonnaise.
- I use pickle juice from sugar-free dill pickles. You can use any that you prefer, a vinegar, lemon or lime juice or completely leave it out if preferred.
- Swap the celery salt for Ranch Seasoning if preferred.
- Coleslaw that has been dressed is best eaten within the first day of being made. You can however prepare the dressing and slaw separately and it will keep much longer in the fridge.
Your Own Notes
Megan Ellam is an Australian keto recipes blogger living in Thornton, NSW. She is the author of amazing keto cookbooks such as Slow Cook Keto, Keto Loco, The Healthy Family Keto Cookbook and Every Day Keto.
Megan has been following a ketogenic diet since being diagnosed with insulin resistance in early 2017. After a long cooking career Megan simply swapped her “foodie focus” to easy keto recipes. Her keto Australian recipes all include both metric and US customary measures so that everyone can enjoy them.
Megan also makes all the recipes suitable for conventional cooks, Thermomix recipes and thermal cookers e.g. Magimix recipes.
This keto coleslaw is so delicious! I love to serve it on top of a burger!
Sooo good with a burger.
This coleslaw was perfect! They texture was nice and crisp, and it had just the right amount of tangy flavor.
Glad you enjoyed it Amanda.
Another fabulous recipe! Requested to be made again by our keto and non-keto family members.
Yay! So glad you and the family enjoyed it Kym xx
WOW Megan … currently eating the dressing off the spoon as I make or for my dinner tonight.
Love the texture and taste !!!
Awesomeness! Glad you like it Lynda!
Thank you for your wonderful recipes I love them.
Where can I buy pickle juice in Australia?
Hi Katrina, if you look in the blog post you will see I just use the pickle juice from sugar free gherkins. However I know a great business that does sell pickle juice @wholefoodfamily
Thanks for this innovation of adding pickle juice. Very interesting and would love to enjoy it on a sandwich spread or as a topping or as a salad too.
Its so good Veena
Delicious and I am not even on a keto diet! Hehe, thank you!
Glad you enjoyed it Tawnie!
This recipe is testament that the simplest recipes are the best. Thank you for this great recipe.
The perfect versatile side dish. I really like that you added pickle juice to. It just gives it an extra kick.
It absolutely is Andrea.
My whole family loves coleslaw but we mostly only eat it when we eat out. I can’t wait to make this keto coleslaw at home, it looks amazing!
I hope it gets the tick of approval.