Keto Chocolate Ice Cream – No Churn
I really wanted to make a standout keto chocolate ice cream. It needed to be easy to make, creamy and include a no churn option. This keto ice cream recipe is pretty amazing let me tell you.
What makes a great low carb ice cream? Personally, I think it is that it is fuss-free. I like every recipe I make or create to be simple and able to be made with a minimum of appliance if need be.
Check below for a few different ways to serve our keto chocolate ice cream. I hope you love it!
Keto Chocolate Ice Cream Ingredients
It’s easy I promise. You may even have everything at home already to make this super simple keto ice cream recipe.
Here is all you need to make it.
Cream – I use thickened cream. For other countries this is usually a heavy or whipping cream. For a dairy free keto ice cream use coconut cream.
Sweetener – I use xylitol. Even though I am not a huge fan of xylitol due to its toxicity to dogs I do use it carefully when making keto ice cream recipes. The reason I use it is because it it does not re-crystallise when frozen like monk fruit, erythritol and stevia-based sweeteners do. Allulose can be used but is a more expensive option.
Eggs – I always use large, fresh free range eggs at room temperature. Room temperature eggs do not give you eggy tasting results.
Xanthan Gum – alternatively use guar gum or 60ml Vodka to keep any keto ice cream super creamy and scoopable.
Flavoured Collagen – it is optional, but I really loved it in this keto chocolate ice cream recipe. It gave the ice cream a little bit of caramel flavour but I think it also gave it a lot of creamier texture too. I used Locako Vanilla Toffee. Locako is an Aussie company and they do have more flavours as well. However, you can use your favourite brand or flavour if preferred.
How To Make It
This keto ice cream is easy to make. It is no different than a standard ice cream custard process on the stove. However, this is just making it a sugar free ice cream by using a keto approved sweetener.
I have included a recipe for making a keto ice cream in the Thermomix as well for our thermi fans. Which is incredibly fast and easy.
Using all the tips I have provided above in the ingredients and in the recipe card you should be able to make the best low carb ice cream at home.
FAQs for making soft low carb ice cream
Can I make it an Ice Cream Maker? Absolutely! After freezing the mixture for a few hours place into the ice cream maker and churn as per the manufacturer’s instructions.
Can I make keto ice cream without a blender? Yes, you can! Even though I have used a blender or ice cream maker in this recipe you can make it without one. Simply take the ice cream out of the freezer every few hours and give it a big stir breaking up the ice crystals. This should be done 3-4 times before freezing completely before serving.
Keto Ice Cream made with erythritol. Whatever other sweetener you use instead of xylitol (or allulose) can make the ice cream firmer. Always keep keto ice cream airtight. It can also help to add a piece of cling film over the ice cream and press firmly onto the surface before covering with a lid. Other optional ingredients to use to help keep a sugar free ice cream soft and creamy are vegetable glycerine, guar gum and a white base neutral-tasting alcohol like vodka.
More Fab Keto Ice Creams to Make
Here are a list of my favourite keto ice cream recipes. I have made a few in my time and you will find all of these very different to the chocolate one.
- Keto Creme Fraiche Ice Cream
- Fat Ice Zero Carb Keto Ice Cream
- Viennetta Caramel Keto Cheesecake
- Lush Macadamia Keto Ice Cream – Low Carb
- Creamy Whole Egg Vanilla Protein Ice Cream
I hope you love the ice cream as much as I do! If you do, then please rate the recipe ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ and leave us a review to help others know that this is a recipe worth trying. Get all the new recipes as soon as they are published when you subscribe to our newsletter. Join our keto community on Facebook, Instagram or see all the new stuff on Pinterest and YouTube.
Keto Chocolate Ice Cream
- Place all the ingredients into large heat safe bowl. Whisk until combined. Bring a saucepan half filled with water to a gentle simmer. Continue to whisk until the sweetener is no longer grainy (4-7 minutes) and the custard coats the back of a spoon. Remove from the heat.
- Strain the ice cream to remove any lumps. Pour the custard into a thin layer in a large ziplock bag or shallow tray and freeze it flat for 8 hours or overnight.
- Break or cut the ice cream into small chunks, work in batches and pulse in a food processor or blender until smooth before freezing again. Freeze at least a further 3 hours after blending before serving.
- Insert whisk attachment. Add all ingredients to the mixer.; mix 10 sec/speed 4.
- Cook 9 min/90°C/speed 2. Pour the custard into a thin layer in a large ziplock bag or shallow tray and freeze it flat for 8 hours or overnight.
- Break or cut the ice cream into small chunks and place half into the mixer bowl. Mix 1 min/speed 7. Scrape and repeat until smooth before freezing again. Repeat with remaining half. Freeze at least a further 3 hours after blending before serving.
- This recipe is suitable to make in any ice cream maker if you prefer.
- Always keep ice cream airtight to avoid ice crystals.
- Gelatin is used to soften the ice cream. If you are going to omit it you will need to use 1/2 teaspoon of xanthan gum, or 30ml of vodka to help keep the ice cream scoopable.
- The best sweeteners for keto ice creams are xylitol and allulose. Please note that xylitol is toxic to dogs and should be used and consumed with caution when around our four-legged family members. If using other sweeteners, the ice cream will be a lot firmer and may require you to leave it at room temperature for a while before it is scoopable.
- The flavoured collagen is optional. I have to say I loved it in this ice cream.
- Please note the ice cream custard will taste sweeter than the end result.
- For a dairy free keto ice cream please substitute coconut cream in place of the thickened cream.