Keto Chocolate Cake
Almost everyone loves a good chocolate cake recipe, don’t they? I promise you will love every bite of this moist keto chocolate cake. I, of course, think it is the best keto chocolate cake EVER and I am sure you and your non-keto friends will too!
This low-carb chocolate cake is also perfect for a keto or diabetic-friendly diet. It is light and fluffy, and rich without being too sweet. You will definitely not get anything this good from a boxed chocolate cake! It is also the perfect sugar free keto chocolate birthday cake!
Why We Love This Recipe
Low carb – With just 4g net carbs per serve, you really can have your cake and eat it too!
Keto pantry basic ingredients – This 8 ingredient cake uses ingredients that you will find in most pantries.
Versatile – This recipe can be used as a base recipe where you add more flavours or layers. A must-try is our Black Forest Cake.
Quick and easy! – As with all my recipes, I keep them simple so you can spend less time cooking and more time enjoying them.
Jump to the recipe card for the full list of ingredients to make this keto chocolate cake with cream cheese frosting recipe.
Light taste olive oil – use an oil with a neutral flavour. You can use butter or ghee in its place.
Almond meal or almond flour – Almond meal and almond flour are slightly different in consistency, with meal being a bit coarser. You can choose either for this recipe.
Eggs – fresh, free-range and large eggs are what you need.
Unsweetened Cocoa – check the nutritional panel of the cocoa you are using. Some brands do contain sugar.
Sour cream or Greek yoghurt. – Coconut cream can be used for a dairy free keto chocolate cake.
Baking powder – I use and recommend Bob’s Red Mill Baking Powder for all low carb gluten-free baking. It really helps give a good rise and consistent baking results every time.
FROSTING – I have used a very simple keto chocolate frosting recipe for this cake.
How to Make Keto Chocolate Cake
Step 1. PREHEAT – to 160℃ fan/180°C static/350°F. Line a 20 cm (8-inch) springform pan.
Step 2. MIX all ingredients in a stand mixer until combined. Spoon mix into prepared pan.
Step 3. BAKE 30 minutes or until cooked through. Cool on wire tray in the pans until cool.
Step 4. MIX buttercream ingredients in a stand mixer until light and fluffy.
Step 5. FROST: Spread have of the chocolate buttercream onto the top of the cake. Place the second cake on top (if doing double) and pipe buttercream on top of cake. Using an angled icing spatula, generously spread buttercream over the sides and top of the cake.
How to Make Keto Black Forest Cake
You can easily make this chocolate cake into a low carb black forest cake
You can easily make low-carb Black Forest cake from this recipe. The German dessert, Schwarzwälder Kirschtorte usually is gateaux style chocolate cake layered with a rich cherry filling, kirsch liqueur, and plenty of whipped cream. This is a keto black forest cake without alcohol or canned cherries.
In the recipe card below you will get a step-by-step method of how I made mine as pictured. Below I have added how to booze it up if you wish. Remember though this will add extra carbs.
Step 1. Reduce 1/4 cup of cherry syrup with 1/4 cup kirsch or raspberry liqueur and 1/2 cup keto sticky syrup sweetener over medium high heat.
Step 2. Brush the cake tops with the cooled syrup then add the ganache etc. as per the recipe instructions below.
Want More Keto Cake Recipes
Never feel like you are missing out with these low carb cake recipes. Your friends and family will love them too. These are some of our most popular keto sweet recipes.
Hot Tips & FAQs
For layered cakes, like mine pictured, it is safe to double or triple the recipe in both a stand mixer and the Thermomix®.
Extra virgin olive oil (EVOO) has a very strong flavour that will overpower the delicate chocolate flavour. If you want to substitute with olive oil, choose light-taste olive oil instead.
Some will say cherries are not keto, but you can enjoy them in moderation. With only 1.1g net carbs per cherry, they are pretty much the same as blueberries or strawberries per piece. They do contain more natural sugar (about 8g/100g) than berries.
Keto Chocolate Cake
KETO CHOCOLATE FROSTING
- PREHEAT – to 160℃ fan/180°C static/350°F. Line 2 x 20 cm (8-inch) springform pans.
- MIX all ingredients in a stand mixer until combined. Divide mixture into prepared pans.
- BAKE 30 minutes until the cakes are baked through. Insert a toothpick into centre and if it comes out clean, it’s done. Allow cakes to cool completely in the pans set on a wire rack. Leave to cool completely cool before frosting and assembling.
- MIX buttercream ingredients in a stand mixer until light and fluffy.
- FROST: Evenly cover the top of one cake with half of the frosting. Top with second cake and spoon the remaining frosting onto the top. Use an angled spatula to smooth over top. Chill for 1-2 hours before slicing the cake.
- PREHEAT oven to 160℃ fan/180°C static/350°F. Line 2 x 20 cm (8-inch) springform pan.
- MIX: Place all ingredients into mixer; Mix 1 min/speed 3. Follow from Step 3 above.
- FROST: For frosting; mix all ingredients 1 min/speed 5. Scrape down sides of bowl. Repeat until smooth and fluffy. Follow instructions above to frost the cake.
LOW CARB BLACK FOREST CAKE
- Place chocolate into a heat-proof bowl. Heat HALF A CUP of the cream in a small saucepan over medium heat until it begins to simmer (do not boil). Pour over the chocolate and leave 3-5 minutes to soften. Stir gently until smooth and combined.
- Whip the remaining cream to stiff peaks. Drizzle 2-3 tablespoons of ganache into the whipped cream and loosely fold to make a rippled look. Set aside.
- Drizzle or spread the remaining ganache over the top of each cake (see notes). Top with the chocolate cream and place the cherry halves around the edge of one cake reserving a few for the top. Place the second cake on the top and garnish with cherries and grated chocolate. Chill for 1-2 hours before serving.
I use an unsweetened cocoa powder or sugar free chocolate like Vitawerx to flavour the buttercream. Check the blog post for more keto buttercream ideas and how to serve it. LOW CARB CHOCOLATE CAKE IN THERMOMIX For a keto layer cake like mine pictured, it is safe to double or triple the recipe in both a stand mixer and the Thermomix®. Just make sure to bake each cake separately, not at the same time. STORAGE AND FREEZING KETO CAKES You can store it in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 1 week. It freezes well if kept in an airtight container or ziplock bag. I freeze in individual portions so it is simple to defrost when I would like a piece of cake.
Your Own Notes
24 responses to “The Easiest Keto Chocolate Cake”
Amazing recipe! Love it. First time, I forgot to put the timer on and had to guess, so it was slightly overbaked, but still very impressive. Can’t wait to bake it again.
Oh my gosh, the cake looks so soft and really delicious!
Chocolate cake is definitely my guilty pleasure and I like that this recipe for it is keto and looks so tasty as well.
I’m so excited to make this cake! my friend only eats keto, so I am going to make this for her birthday next week. Thanks so much for sharing 🙂
your recipe made an OMG delicious chocolate cake! My family loved it
This homemade chocolate keto cake looks so delicious and yummy! Its texture and low carb will be loved by many!
I love a good keto dessert! This one looks super tasty!
Super impressed this is a low carb keto cake. It looks absolutely marvelous and that frosting is so creamy and rich. Save me a slice!
I love all chocolate cake, won’t turn down a slice. I am still pretty new to keto, so this will be my first keto chocolate cake! Excited to give it a try!
Wow! I can’t believe how great this cake turned out. You would never believe it is Keto. The frosting was incredible.
I used monk fruit sweetener and topped it with strawberries. So delicious!
What an amazing cake, yet so simple! 😍 Dilemma is now which one to bake for Christmas – black forest or strawberry vanilla? Or both, 😂? What a choice, and all low carb, no sugar and keto. Amazing! Thank you Megan 😊
Yay! I have been waiting for you to create a recipe for keto Black Forest Cake and now my dreams have come true. Thank YOUUUUUU Megan!! You are amazing!