My easy Keto Chicken Vegetable Soup is set to not only wow you but make you feel whole and well! A gut healing, wellness soup in every mouthful!
To be completely honest with you all I work very hard to strike a great balance between a whole foods keto diet and my lazy keto diet.
Yep I admit it! Im my 2.5 years of being keto I did spend a long time being very strict keto. No sweeteners, long fasting, and absolutely nothing that was not found on a keto Green List.
These days I am far more relaxed however I still live by the code of no more than 20g net carbs per day and certainly try and eat whole foods..
This keto chicken vegetable soup is set to wow even the the laziest of keto followers. Trust me! It is not only delicious, but super low in carbs and big on goodness!
Keto Chicken Vegetable Soup
My focus on easy to source ingredients is more and more magnified.
I understand that budget and easy to source keto panty ingredients is a high priority to many of us.
Thankfully (in Australia) hemp seeds are now found readily in most supermarkets and from great local suppliers like Vasse Valley.
Hemp hearts make for a great protein boost and thickener to soups and stews.
Think of it as your keto “lentil”. A fabulous source of protein that works in slow or pressure cooked recipes. Use the link here for more keto hemp recipes. I am a big fan, so try some recipes out and see why.
Keto Chicken Vegetable Soup Ingredients
Fats. Olive oil and butter are used in this recipe. Use any fat for personal preference. Whether it is bacon fat (for additional flavour) or coconut oil or ghee for a dairy free alternative.
Vegetables. Like seriously if you want to add more go for it. Zucchini or pumpkin would work a treat. Swap leek for the onion for a more subtle creamy consistency. Plus another great advantage is this is the perfect hidden vegetable soup for kids and fussy eaters.
Spices. Personally I season to taste. If you feel it needs more turmeric or spice go for it. Even a little curry powder or hot chilli is an amazing addition for the spice lover with this recipe.
Chicken Drumsticks. Seriously, if you want to use any cut of chicken use it. Lovely legs, cutlets, wings or even cooked leftovers can be added to this recipe. No rules other than your tastebuds. If you come up with a truly amazing combo then please let me know in the comments below and I will add it to the variations. Soups I think can never fail if you make them all to your personal taste.
Hemp Seeds. Hemp works wonders in a soup. A plant based rich source of protein it is like my “keto lentil” for soup bases. It provides the heartiness and the protein to all my soups.
For a keto vegetarian soup alternative you could just as easily change the stock to vegetable stock and swap the chicken for cauliflower, pumpkin or broccoli or a combo of all. Radish would also work well in this recipe. The parmesan could also be substituted for yeast flakes if you like that cheesy kind of flavour.
How to cook Keto Chicken Vegetable Soup
To give plenty of options I have included a simple stovetop keto chicken vegetable soup method, an Instant Pot® keto chicken vegetable soup method and lastly a Thermomix® keto chicken vegetable soup method as well.
If anything I am trying to cover my based but offer you keto recipes with various cooking methods so everyone can enjoy the recipe the way you want to make it.
Personally I have very quickly become an Instant Pot® cooking fan, which any of you with various cooking machines can use.
For instance the very new and popular Foodie Ninja, if you want a Foodie Ninja keto chicken vegetable soup recipe well use this one.
The method for the Instant Pot and the Foodie Ninja can be converted simply and produce just as awesome results.
Want more delicious soup recipes?
- Thrifty Keto Chicken Soup- Simple Cheap and Tasty
- Keto Minestrone Soup
- Chicken Pot Pie Soup | Keto | Low carb recipe
- Smokey Mexican Keto Chicken Taco Soup
- Keto Soup Recipes Roundup
CONNECT WITH MAD CREATIONS
Don’t forget to link up with Mad Creations on social media so you never miss a recipe.
Keto Chicken Vegetable Soup
- 1 tbsp (1 tbsp) olive oil
- 2 tbsp (2 tbsp) butter
- 1/2 large (1/2 large) brown onion finely minced
- 2 cloves (2 cloves) garlic finely minced
- 1 (1) carrot finely diced
- 2 (2) stalks celery finely diced
- 2 tsp (2 tsp) smoked paprika
- 2 tsp (2 tsp) ground turmeric
- 2 (2) bay leaves
- 1 kg (4.79 cups) chicken drumsticks
- 5 cups (5 cups) chicken bone broth or chicken stock
- 2 cups (2 cups) cauliflower cut into small florets
- 1/2 cup (0.5 cup) hemp seeds
- 1/2 cup (0.5 cup) red pepper/capsicum roasted, deseeded, peeled and chopped
- 3 tbsp (3 tbsp) parmesan cheese finely grated
- 1 tbsp (1 tbsp) apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp (2 tbsp) fresh lemon or lime juice
- Salt and pepper taste
- 1/2 tsp (0.5 tsp) xanthan gum optional
- Greek yoghurt
- Fresh coriander leaves
- Avocado diced
- Crispy bacon diced
- Chilli flakes
- 1 (1) pepperoni stick
- In a large dutch oven or stock pot, heat the olive oil and butter over medium-low heat. Add the garlic, onion, carrot, celery, smoked paprika, turmeric and bay leaves and cook for 5 minutes or until the onion is soft and translucent, stirring occasionally.
- Add the chicken drumsticks and 4 cups of the chicken broth; increase heat to medium-high and bring to a boil for 5 minutes. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer for 30 minutes or until drumsticks are cooked through and tender.
- Meanwhile, bring a medium pot of water to a boil. Add the cauliflower to the pot and boil for 7 minutes or until tender. Strain off the water.
- Place cauliflower florets, remaining 1 cup of chicken broth, hemp seeds, roasted red peppers, parmesan and apple cider vinegar in a blender. Blend on high for 2 minutes or until smooth and creamy. Remove and reserve.
- Remove drumsticks from soup and finely shred, discarding skin. Strain off solids from soup base and blend on high in blender (if you prefer your soup with chunky veg then skip this step).
- Combine cauliflower puree with soup and chicken. Increase the heat and continue stirring for 3-5 minutes or until the soup begins to thicken. (use xanthan gum only if needed. The soup will thicken naturally but mix 1/2 tsp of xanthan if preferred with 1 tbsp of soup. Then add to soup and whisk through). Once the soup has thickened stir through juice and season to taste. If soup needs additional thickening add xanthan gum to a small cup of soup and then pour back into soup and cook until thickened. Serve as is or with a dollop of yoghurt, coriander leaves and diced avocado and/or bacon.
- Heat the olive oil and butter 2 min/100℃/speed 1. Add the garlic, onion, carrot, celery, smoked paprika, turmeric, and bay leaves and cook for 5 min/100℃/speed 1.
- Add the chicken drumsticks and chicken broth into the mixer; cook 30 min/90℃/reverse/stir. When finished remove drumsticks and shred chicken, discarding the skin and bone. Strain the soup and set the vegetables aside separate from the chicken (discard bay leaves). Reserve.
- Add the cauliflower to the empty mixer. Add 2 cups of the reserved broth; cook 10 min/90°C/speed 1.
- Add the hemp seeds, roasted red peppers, parmesan, apple cider vinegar, and cooked vegetables to the mixer; puree 1 min/speed 4. Check that soup is creamy and smooth or repeat as necessary.
- Add the reserved chicken to the mixer; cook 5 min/90℃/reverse/stir. Once the soup has thickened stir through the juice and season to taste. If soup needs additional thickening add xanthan gum to a small cup of soup and mix. Add to the soup and cook for further 5 min/90℃/stir or until thickened. Serve as is or with a dollop of yoghurt, coriander leaves and diced avocado and/or bacon.
INSTANT POT® METHOD
- Set Instant Pot® to Sauté/high heat. Heat the olive oil, butter, garlic, onion, carrot, celery, smoked paprika, turmeric and bay leaves; sauté for 5 minutes or until the onion is soft and translucent, stirring occasionally.
- Add all remaining ingredients except juice, salt and pepper. Close and seal the Instant Pot. Cook on high pressure for 20 minutes, then allow the pressure to release naturally for 10 minutes. Vent to release any remaining pressure, then carefully open the lid.
- Remove drumsticks from soup and finely shred, discarding skin and bone. Strain off solids from soup base and blend on high in blender (if you prefer your soup with chunky veg then skip this step). Combine pureed soup with chicken. If soup needs additional thickening add xanthan gum to a small cup of soup and then pour back into the soup and cook until thickened. Add juice and season to taste.
- Serve as is or with a dollop of yoghurt, coriander leaves and diced avocado and/or bacon.
2. Broth can be any kind of stock, stock cubes, or bone broth.
3. Add extra vegetables like broccoli, pumpkin or zucchini as preferred.
4. Store in the fridge for up to 4 days.
5. Soup can be frozen into individual serves and frozen up to 1 month.
Your Own Notes
Whether you are starting on the keto diet or just after low carb recipes we have you covered on the Mad Creations website. For all your keto cookbook needs check out our store today.
34 responses to “Keto Chicken Vegetable Soup with Hemp Seeds”
It looks good and tasty! Such a perfect soup to prepare for tonight’s dinner.
This is one tasty vegetable soup! So yummy and flavorful! Love the additional turmeric! Thanks for the lovely recipe!
Such a lovely soup. Thanks Megan.
We made this soup in our Insa Pot with chicken wings and it was so tasty! Thank you for such a great recipe. We’ve bookmarked your site:)
This keto chicken vegetable soup was so delicious! I could eat this any time of the year!
Wow this keto soup was delicious and what a great idea. We tried this the other night and it was fantastic. Thanks for sharing.
I think my hemp-seed-lovin’ younger sister will love this. She has a woodburning stove in her kitchen in her cabin and loves food that can simmer for hours. I will try it out when she comes to visit. Thanks!
Hearty, comforting and full of flavour – this is so delicious, and perfect for this weather!
Delicious! and satisfying. I made some extra to take to work.
This soup is delicious and so easy to make. My husband loves it too. I will make this regularly through our cold and dreary winter. Thanks Megan for your great recipes.
This recipe is the bomb!! I love it!!!!
Could you tell me if you use hulled hemp seeds in this and in your hemp seed bread? We get both in the UK
Hi this soup sounds delicious!
Just curious to know what instapot people are using in Australia, I thought they weren’t compatible here?
I would love one😀
This soup is so easy to make and it is absolutely delicious! It has quickly become a favourite in our house.
I could go for a bowl of this right now!! Deliver to Brisbane!?
Such a delicious looking soup, Megan! So packed with yummy flavours and ingredients, it’s the perfect winter recipe – can’t wait to try it!
This was delicious! I made it in the instant pot with chicken drumsticks and then blitzed the veg in the TM5 until it was nice and creamy. It was the perfect lunch to take to work as the Brisbane days get cooler.
This soup is a rock star. Great the first time and even better the next day. When my husband says is there any of that soup left??? Can you make more! !
I think we have a new favourite soup recipe!!
Make it you definitely won’t be disappointed