Keto Caramel Nut Chew Bar | Sugar Free
I love it when you make something using recipes that you know and love and combine it into something really special. I would most definitely and honestly rate these bars as my all-time favourite sugar-free keto protein bar. Basically you can make your very own Atkins Bar at home.
What I also love to do is change them each time I make them and add more varieties so I never get bored. Read on for more variations and tips for you next favourite low carb protein bar recipe.
Containing several of my favourite ingredients these bars do have a few variations. I have included what can or cannot be substituted when making a keto nougat recipe and a keto caramel recipe.
- Sukrin Syrup. Most definitely a MUST HAVE keto nougat and/or caramel ingredient. For us, in Australia we do not have a low carb alternative to glucose syrup. This is as close as you can get with the carbs. It is super low carb and works just the same as glucose and/or honey in most keto dessert recipe applications.
- Whey Protein Isolate (WPI). I use Isopure Whey Protein Isolate. Isopure is a zero-carb gluten free WPI and is perfection in all my recipes. You can choose however to use other brands; I just do not guarantee as smooth results. Some WPI’s give a grainier texture to the nougat. For a dairy-free keto nougat recipe you can choose to use plant-based protein powders as well.
- MCT oil. MCT oils are now found across most supermarkets. Choose one that is palm oil-free. Alternatively, liquid coconut oil can be used in its place. Just to highlight that if you melt a hard set coconut oil this will result in a much harder nougat.
- Sugar Free Dulce de Leche. This recipe (click the link for full recipe) contains Sukrin products as well that are included in this recipe as well. This keto caramel recipe can be used in pies, tarts, pastries and sweets.
- Vitawerx Chocolates. These keto chocolate bars are super low in carbs only containing <10g per 100g serve. Be mindful that this chocolate is toxic to dogs as it does contain xylitol. As we should all know that chocolate itself is toxic to dogs so the same rules apply to this product. In saying that, it is a delicious option. You can choose to use a good quality dark 80%+ chocolate or a vegan or sugar free chocolate alternatives.
Caramel Nut Bar Variations
Like I said at the start I have made my share of variations using most of this keto bar recipe plus some others slightly different. If you have yet to try my From Mars Bar or White Snickers Bar then you have been missing out. Both these bars have been hugely praised. Some others that are great to try are:
- Add chocolate (white, milk or dark) to the Sukrin Syrup in the nougat when microwaving. Stir it through to flavour the nougat.
- Add essential (ingestible) oils, citrus zest or extracts for a flavoured nougat. How about a Buttered Popcorn Caramel Bar? Sounds bloody delicious to me!
- Try some White Chocolate (Vitawerx) in the Dulce de Leche recipe when cooking for a caramelised white chocolate flavour. So good!
- Nuts, coconut, cacao nibs, hemp seeds, keto granola and more can be sprinkled on the top and set in the caramel.
As you can see there would be endless ways to pimp your low carb bar recipe anytime and truly create your own versions.
Love this recipe and want more like it?
- White Chocolate Keto Snickers Bar – sugar free
- Sugar Free Keto From – Mars Bar recipe
- Walnut Cinnamon Bun Keto Protein Bars
- Vanilla Nougat Keto Protein Bars – Zero Carb style
- Keto Lemon Bars
Watch me make it!
Connect with our Keto Community
Don’t forget to link up with Mad Creations on social media so you never miss a recipe.
Keto Caramel Nut Chew Bar
- Line a 20 x 20 baking pan with cling film.
- Place syrup in large pyrex bowl and microwave for 1 minute.
- Mix through whey protein isolate (WPI), vanilla and MCT oil until mixture binds together. If it is too wet add more WPIf it is too dry add a little more MCT oil. Press into prepared pan.
- Top nougat with prepared Dulce de Leche.
- Sprinkle over nuts and press into caramel.
- In a small pyrex bowl melt chocolate in microwave for 1 minute. Stir until melted. (Alternatively place bowl over saucepan of simmering water and melt chocolate. Drizzle chocolate over top of slice. Refrigerate until firm.
- Using the tip of a sharp knife score slice into 16 bars (or 32 small bars).
- Store in the fridge for up to 2 weeks.
- Keto Caramel Nut Chew Bar can be stored in the freezer for up to 3 months in an airtight container.
- Use any kind of nut of preference or omit completely.
- Sukrin syrup has no keto or low carb alternatives at this stage in Australia. Using a sugar free maple syrup or similar will not work in this recipe and will result in a grainy protein base.
- I choose to use Isopure Whey Protein Isolate. It is a gluten free, zero carb protein powder. You can substitute with dairy free or plant based protein powders but I do not guarantee as good results.