Delicious Keto Bagels
As a former bagel lover, I had to create an amazing keto bagel. This recipe is incredibly easy and tasty.
I wanted a low carb bagel made with yeast. Yeast imparts so much flavour to the bagel as well as giving it rise. Check out my tips below for making these tasty fathead bagels with a bit of a difference.
How to make Keto Bagels at Home
Trust me these keto bagels are so easy to make at home. As per usual for the recipe I have included how to make these by hand with conventional methods. I use a microwave, but you can use a saucepan over low heat to achieve the same results.
I have included a Thermomix keto bagel recipe. You may recognise it from the Cookidoo Low Carb collection because I wrote the recipe. My recipe uses inulin for the yeast activator as sugar alcohols including monkfruit do not activate yeast. You can see my video comparison here.
The Thermomix keto bagel method is my favourite as it is super easy. Also, since my original method for the Cookidoo I have increased the mixing and kneading time to achieve a beautifully mixed dough. I also find this helps to achieve a beautiful rise.
Kneading and Shaping
Once you have mixed dough knead it into a smooth ball and separate into 8 equal pieces. Using a cupped hand over the ball roll until the dough forms a smooth ball. Using your middle finger and thumb create a small hole in the centre of the dough and shape the bagels.
Cover with a silicone mat or towel and leave in a warm place to rise.
Baste with egg yolk and season as preferred. If you want a super tasty bagel you have to try an Everything Bagel using our “Everything But the Bagel Seasoning“. Bake until lightly golden and cooked through.
Next Recipes To Try
Keto Bagels with Yeast
- 1 egg lightly beaten
- 2 tbsp Everything but the Bagel Seasoning or Sesame Seeds
- Mix warm water, inulin and yeast in a small bowl and cover with cling film and a towel (or silicone mat) to keep warm. Set aside until yeast activates and is foamy (15-20 mins).
- Place cheese and cream cheese into a large heat-safe mixing bowl. Microwave on high for 2 minutes.
- Add eggs and baking powder; mix to combine.
- Mix through the remaining ingredients. Transfer dough to a silicone mat and knead for 1-2 minutes.
- Roll dough into a ball until it is no longer sticky. Cut into 8 pieces. Roll each piece into a ball. Push a finger through the centre of each ball and using your fingers gently widen the hole while pressing and shaping the outer edge to be smooth and even. (Alternatively roll into a long sausage and join each end to form a bagel).
- Transfer bagels to a lined baking tray. Cover with a silicone mat and allow to rest in a warm place for 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 170°C fan/190°C/375°F.
- Baste with egg yolk and season. Bake bagels for 15-20 minutes or until lightly golden and cooked through.
THERMOMIX KETO BAGELS
- Mix warm water, inulin and yeast in a small bowl and cover with cling film and a towel (or silicone mat) to keep warm. Transfer to a nice warm spot until yeast activates and is foamy (15-20 mins).
- Add cheese and cream cheese to mixer. Chop 5 sec/speed 5. Scrape down sides of bowl.
- Melt cheese 3 min/90°C/speed 3.
- Add eggs and baking powder; mix 15 sec/speed 3. Scrape down sides of bowl.
- Add remaining ingredients; mix 30 sec/speed 3. Then knead 2 min/dough setting. Transfer dough to a silicone mat. Follow from Step 5 above.
Your Own Notes
52 responses to “Easy Keto Bagels with Yeast”
This recipe is delicious. So fluffy and light. Great to have on hand for a quick snack with cheese and vegemite or as a burger with the works. I made different shapes. So happy with the results.
I made these recently as bagel bites. I rolled them as balls and stuffed them with pesto, sat them all tightly together in a baking dish, brushed with melted butter and garlic, sprinkled with grated parmesan and baked for a pull apart bagel bread! De-licious!!! Soft and airy dough.
Love these bagels – so easy to make and delicious. I love the chewiness.
Forgive me, but I cannot find the recipe with ingredient quantities anywhere on this page. Where is it? Thanks!
If l teaspoon of sugar is used to activate the yeast for this receipt, that comes out as .525 grams per bagal. 🙂
These keto bagels are such a great alternative to regular bagels! So chewy and delicious.
These keto bagels are amazing ! There are very few low carb breads I like but this is an exception. Thanks for a great recipe.
Mmmm bagels are a must in our house and having someone that has Celiac disease in my life, I need options for them. These were a huge hit! Thank you for sharing!
These bagels look really great! I like that they’re not too complicated. Saving this for the weekend!
Thank you for creating this amazing keto bagel recipe!! Best way to satisfy my bagel cravings!
Bagels have always been my favorite but I try to stay away from the classic ones these days due to the high carb content so I definitely found this recipe at the perfect time! I love baking with almond flour/meal so I can’t wait to give these a try!
Thank you for this recipe. I love bagels as does my kiddo, we had fun making triangle bagels!
This bagel recipe is perfect!! I am so excited to make these bagels this weekend, thank you so much for the recipe 🙂
Absolutely loved them, my dough was a bit sticky but being on a cool day my yeast did not proof enough but a lesson learnt moving forward. They still turned out amazing. Thank you Megan for all your great recipes and hard work. By the way Keto Mojo book is the best ♥️
Can this be doubled? Or would I need to make to separate batches?
Why my dough get soo sticky? Is that normal?