Once you learn how to make cauliflower rice, my way, you will love it in so many ways. Even for the seasoned cauliflower “haters” I will show you a way to love cauliflower rice.
I have never been a huge fan of cauliflower at all. So, I have been experimenting with different ways to make cauliflower rice taste so much better.
Follow my easy step by step instructions and simple tips to make this fabulously versatile keto rice alternative in a few different ways.
How to Make Cauliflower Rice with a Box Grater
With this method, there is no fancy equipment needed. If you don’t have a grater you might be in trouble, but I am sure you can find one in your grocery shop for only a few dollars.
Simply cut the cauliflower in halves or quarters, removing the leaves and grate on the largest grater on the box grater. The cauliflower will resemble rice.
How to Make Cauliflower Rice in a Thermomix
Just because I have one, making cauliflower rice in the Thermomix is my preferred method. It is just so quick and easy and works the same every time.
I don’t use any guided cooking methods, but I have made this that many times I have it down to one simple way to make and cook every time I make it.
Basically, just chop all the cauliflower into small florets.
Then place into the Thermomix and chop 5 sec/speed 5. I always use the same speed and time and it always comes out pretty perfect.
My tip is just to make sure if you have a lot of the core to make sure it is chopped just as small as the florets so you don’t end up with larger chunks.
I then just scrape from the bowl and steam or use as below
Cauliflower Rice in a Food Processor
Making cauliflower rice in the food processor is also super simple and fast.
Same as the Thermomix cauliflower rice recipe, simply cut the cauliflower into small florets and process. I choose to do short bursts of the turbo button or onto high speed and check the consistency of the rice. You want to be the size of a grain of rice. Be careful not to over-process.
How To Cook It
Here are just a few ways to cook riced cauliflower.
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in a skillet/pan and sauté rice 5-8 minutes until cooked to preference. Season to taste.
- Steam cauliflower in a steamer over boiling water for 3-8 minutes or cooked to preference.
- Place the cauliflower rice into the Thermomix steaming basket. Add 400g of water to mixing bowl and steam 10 min/120°C/speed 3. (It takes longer due to the water having to come up to temperature.
Ways to Serve Cauliflower Rice
There are so many ways to use cauliflower rice. I love to use a few of the methods below to flavour the rice and take away the funky cauliflower smell (and taste) in most dishes.
Combine cauliflower with spring onion, spinach and herbs. Leave the grated/processed rice to soak in it overnight. This imparts the flavour of the spinach and green onion into the rice, and in this case, makes green rice.
This can also be done with stock, coconut cream, saffron, tomatoes and more. So many options. But, this is a great way to flavour the rice to remove the smell and taste, or just make a more fragrant rice.
Even just mixed with all the great flavours of keto fried rice recipe, you will never know this is a low carb rice alternative in your dinner.
Serve with simple weekday favourites like our Savoury Mince and Red Pickled Onions.
Of course, cooking in a sauce like my amazing new Spanish Chicken and Rice in my cookbook, The Healthy Family Keto Cookbook.
More Recipes to Try
Here are just a few of my favourite recipes to serve cauliflower rice with. You can make it the star of the dish, or a great accompaniment for a keto curry dish, a stir-fry, burgers and loads more
RAVING NEW FAN? Subscribe to our newsletter. Join our keto community on Facebook, Instagram or see all the new stuff and easy keto recipes on Pinterest.
How to make Cauliflower Rice
- 600 g cauliflower (4 cups)
- Cut cauliflower into small florets and pulse in a food processor in short bursts until cauliflower resembles grains of rice.
- Steam, fry or microwave until soft, this takes around 3-8 minutes.
- Cut cauliflower into small florets and mix 5 sec/speed 5. Scrape from bowl in to steaming basket.
- Pour 400g water into the mixer and insert steaming basket. Cook 10-14 min/120°C/speed 3. Check consistency and extend cooking time if needed. Season to taste.
Leave a Reply