These Butter Caramel Keto Nougat bars are incredibly easy. As a bit of a protein bar fan I tend to like making lots of these kinds of recipes. This one is an absolute winner.
They are very much like my Keto Snickers recipe, but a little quicker and easier.
Anyway, let’s have a look at what you need to make your own caramel keto protein bars at home.
Butter Caramel Keto Nougat Ingredients
While there are a few layers in this recipe you only need 9 ingredients to make them.
I use both Sukrin Gold and Clear syrups in this recipe. While in some countries there are some keto alternatives, us Aussies are pretty limited. There are not always alternatives for us that are low carb. The Sukrin syrups are very low carb and suitable for both coeliac and the keto lifestyle. You can read more on these sweeteners and others in my article on keto sweeteners and how to use them.
Whey protein isolate is recommended as it is high in protein and very low to zero carbs. If you want a keto vegan protein bar then simply swap the whey protein for any plant-based protein isolate, the cream for coconut cream and butter for a plant-based spread.
I use Cell Squared coconut butter, cacao nibs and salt flakes. Cell Squared is an Australian family operated business with a holistic approach to health and wellbeing with fab quality products that I love.
How to make Keto Protein Bars
For these low carb protein bars, I really recommend using a microwave. The instructions have been added only using the microwave as it is so fast and easy. If you do not have a microwave you can a saucepan over low to moderate heat. Just keep an eye on it when heating the syrups as they can boil over.
As I complete each layer of the protein bars, I simply place the bars into the freezer while heating the next layer.
The centre keto caramel is an optional layer. I cook mine in a 750W microwave for 6 1/2 minutes on high. Any less and the caramel is too soft to set properly and more it makes it firmer like a keto toffee.
I know a lot of keto Thermomix fans would love this recipe to suit the TM but I do not recommend it as it is very sticky and can set seizing the blades and/or clean up would just make it not worth your while.
Want more great keto protein bar recipes?
Well of course I have loads. Yes, I am kind of addicted to them but hey I do make great recipes.
- Sugar Free Keto From – Mars Bar recipe
- White Chocolate Keto Snickers Bar – sugar free
- Sugar Free Jupiter Bar | Keto Candy
- Keto Protein Bars – Vanilla nougat
- Keto Caramel Nut Chew Bar | Sugar Free
CONNECT WITH MAD CREATIONS
Join our fabulous keto community on multiple channels and get support from others following the keto lifestyle.
Butter Caramel Nougat Keto Protein Bars
CARAMEL NOUGAT LAYER
OPTIONAL SOFT CARAMEL LAYER
- 150 g (5 oz) Allulose Syrup
- 45 g (3 tbsp) thickened cream or heavy/whipping cream
- 45 g (3 tbsp) butter
CARAMEL NOUGAT LAYER
- Place butter, syrup, and cream into a microwave-safe bowl and cook on high for 4 minutes.
- Stir and cook for a further 3 minutes.
- Fold through coconut butter whey protein, vanilla, and salt flakes. Stir until a thick batter is formed add a little more protein powder if mix is not thick.
- Press the mixture into a bar mould, only filling 1/3rd of each mould. You could use half a slice tray or even mini shape moulds if you dont have a bar mould. Place into the freezer while you make the next layer.
OPTIONAL SOFT CARAMEL LAYER
- Place all caramel ingredients into a microwave-safe bowl. Cook for 6 minutes on high.
- Place a tablespoon of mixture onto each bar and return to the freezer.
CHOCOLATE NOUGAT LAYER
- Place syrup, chocolate, and coconut butter into a microwave-safe bowl and cook on high for 90 seconds.
- Stir through and whey protein. Spoon over the top of the caramel nougat. Sprinkle with cacao nibs and press in gently. Refrigerate until firm and slice into bars.
Your Own Notes
11 responses to “Butter Caramel Keto Nougat Protein Bars”
I like how this is both healthy and delicious!
What a treat!! The whole family devoured these and now I have to make another batch. So handy to have around, especially in the afternoon when the hunger pains happen.
Found this recipe was missing steps and ratio off the chocolate stage was grainy not sure how I’m meant to pour it your other protein bars have MCT oil in them these didn’t is that it How please!!
Where are the instructions for the caramel layer? Do you just boil extra clear syrup? Sorry, I’ve never made caramel..
If I have vanilla & chocolate Isopure would I omit the vanilla extract & cocoa from each layer as the WPI is already flavoured?
When I made the Choc nougat layer it seemed to have too much whey to syrup ratio as it was very dry & didn’t mix in. I had to add extra syrup & even then it was a bit late and is very grainy. The other layers were perfect. I didn’t have Sukrin fibre syrup but another high fibre syrup. The first two layers were perfect so I’m not sure why the last layer hasn’t worked.